HANGAR 22

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

My brother got hitched and I'm back in town now. I think Crypto is done. I just have to do things like re-direct cryptozookeeper.com to the proper place and other non-game stuff. I'm booked up tomorrow and probably Friday night, but I'm sure I'll have time over the long weekend to play a lot of H22. I just really want, for this Memorial Day Weekend, to finish Portal 2, get to the next board in Marble Madness, and help you out with your game. Oh, and cut the lawn, because the town is going to have kittens again if I don't do that soon.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Unbeknownst to me that they were even considering it, the people over at ClubFloyd played Hangar 22 last Sunday! http://www.allthingsjacq.com/intfic_clu ... 20105.html

Well, I knew they were planning on doing random XYZZY-awards-eligible games, but picking H22 was a surprise to me. Anyhow, I only caught the end, but judging from what I saw, Flack, you will get a kick out of reading this!

Also unexpectedly, they followed it up with that "Ecto Horror" game I wrote the other month, and that also went unexpectedly well (well, I'm not surprised H22 did well; that surprise was just that they played it).

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:0.3 is online.

Added a driveway and an El Camino, although you can't get in it yet. Added a dog, some neighborhood kids, a chair, a mailbox, and some mail.
"I bought a toothbrush, some toothpaste, a flannel for my face
Pajamas, a hairbrush, new shoes and a case
I said to my reflection, let's get out of this place."
- Squeeze, Tempted
Haven't figured out how to make things appear or disappear yet,
"Pass the church and the steeple, the laundry on the hill..." (SFX: Record screech)
Sorry, I forgot to turn the record off before hitting "reply."

I'm thinking, I would presume in Inform that there is either an inaccessible object/room/area to move stuff to, or a command to delete an item.
but did create a room called "purgatory" which is working (for the moment) as a place to move things when I want them to disappear. I'm 100% this isn't the best way to do this but it's working at the moment.
Hugo has the default object "nothing", object #0. It can function as a target for things, and since it has no entrances it can't be entered, thus moving something there effectively removes it from the game. (The advantage is that it hasn't been "expunged" and you can get the item back which wouldn't be the case if an object is deleted.)

Doesn't Inform have something like that?

By the way, the link to the source to your game http://www.robohara.com/temp/Hanger_22.inf does not work.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:
Flack wrote:0.3 is online.

Added a driveway and an El Camino, although you can't get in it yet. Added a dog, some neighborhood kids, a chair, a mailbox, and some mail.
"I bought a toothbrush, some toothpaste, a flannel for my face
Pajamas, a hairbrush, new shoes and a case
I said to my reflection, let's get out of this place."
- Squeeze, Tempted
Haven't figured out how to make things appear or disappear yet,
"Pass the church and the steeple, the laundry on the hill..." (SFX: Record screech)
Sorry, I forgot to turn the record off before hitting "reply."

I'm thinking, I would presume in Inform that there is either an inaccessible object/room/area to move stuff to, or a command to delete an item.
but did create a room called "purgatory" which is working (for the moment) as a place to move things when I want them to disappear. I'm 100% this isn't the best way to do this but it's working at the moment.
Hugo has the default object "nothing", object #0. It can function as a target for things, and since it has no entrances it can't be entered, thus moving something there effectively removes it from the game. (The advantage is that it hasn't been "expunged" and you can get the item back which wouldn't be the case if an object is deleted.)

Doesn't Inform have something like that?

By the way, the link to the source to your game http://www.robohara.com/temp/Hanger_22.inf does not work.
My post was from August, 2010. I figured it out since then.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Unbeknownst to me that they were even considering it, the people over at ClubFloyd played Hangar 22 last Sunday! http://www.allthingsjacq.com/intfic_clu ... 20105.html

Well, I knew they were planning on doing random XYZZY-awards-eligible games, but picking H22 was a surprise to me. Anyhow, I only caught the end, but judging from what I saw, Flack, you will get a kick out of reading this!
I have to say I was completely thrilled by this. Their laughter and overall enjoyment of the game ... I'm just floored. I'm glad they enjoyed it and I'm glad everything worked!!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Flack wrote: I have to say I was completely thrilled by this. Their laughter and overall enjoyment of the game ... I'm just floored. I'm glad they enjoyed it and I'm glad everything worked!!
So the question, Flack, is, will the fans get the sequel they were shouting for??

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well, you never know!

I actually have a different game in the works right now, but Hangar 22 Part II is always a possibility, I suppose.