can Inform 7 compile to Z3?

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Nihil Vulture

can Inform 7 compile to Z3?

Post by Nihil Vulture »

What's up ya guys?

Well I am hoping someone can help me out ... I have a thirst to make z3 (that's Z-Machine version 3 for you Interactive Fiction n00bs out there), but I do not want to leave the comforts of Inform 7... In other words how do I change the compilation from Inform 6 to Inform 5?

Thanks
Nihil Vulture

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What are you hoping to get by going to z3 instead of z5?

(And can Inform create .z5 files? I assume it can.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Nihil Vulture

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Hey Jonsie

I am trying to make a gameboy color compadible game from Z-Code version 3 (z3/dat files)... Cause I received a cool lil gift from mum, called the Invion slider... It can do everything I need to do... Which is camcorder, camera, movie player, sound player, Games (so far NES and GBX only!) ... But ya the I7 can compile regular z5 zcode files. I cannot program well in Inform unless I can find a decompiler that is awesome.

Nihil

bruce

Re: can Inform 7 compile to Z3?

Post by bruce »

Nihil Vulture wrote:Well I am hoping someone can help me out ... I have a thirst to make z3 (that's Z-Machine version 3 for you Interactive Fiction n00bs out there), but I do not want to leave the comforts of Inform 7... In other words how do I change the compilation from Inform 6 to Inform 5?
You can't.

I mean, I guess once Graham releases the source, you could rewrite the compiler to emit I5. But there's damn little room left in the game file after the I7 libraries for a z5 game. I don't think even just the I7 the libraries would fit in z3 even if you could retarget the compiler.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nihil Vulture wrote:Hey Jonsie

I am trying to make a gameboy color compadible game from Z-Code version 3 (z3/dat files)... Cause I received a cool lil gift from mum, called the Invion slider... It can do everything I need to do... Which is camcorder, camera, movie player, sound player, Games (so far NES and GBX only!) ... But ya the I7 can compile regular z5 zcode files. I cannot program well in Inform unless I can find a decompiler that is awesome.
Oh, right! I honestly knew that at one point. (And obviously forgot it.) OK, I am asking around right now!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Okay, yeah, Bruce did answer that. In my asking on the ifMud, I was told that the GBA can do .z8 files (which I did not know).

Robb