ND makes an appearance on Usenet

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

ND makes an appearance on Usenet

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

If you're into the rec.arts.int-fiction thing at all, this thread is currently going on.

It starts out with this post from Emily Short:
IF has been working with unhappy endings for ages. I gave a talk on approaches to tragedy in interactive fiction at the ACM Hypertext meeting last September in Manchester which took on basically this issue; the examples I used for that included Photopia, Necrotic Drift, Rameses, and Rendition, but there were quite a number of others I could have drawn from.

And eventually ends up with the following:
You discussed Necrotic Drift and Rendition ***at an academic conference***? Appalling. Or possibly you were having them on, the stiff intellectual bastards, and left laughing up your sleeve. Please tell me that's why you did it.
So reviews are mixed! With lots more in that thread, including an appearance from me, where I find myself arguing for the merits of text games themselves. (I also fuck up the homonyms elicit and illicit, which is always good for a laugh. AT ME!)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Haha, I was wondering what that was all about.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Will you autograph my copy of Jolt Country?

I mean, you seem to be on the precipice of fame and unbelievable wealth and more than a little interactive fiction inroads towards cornering the market (as it were).

THE
ON THE EDGE
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, it seems to have all ended amicably.

There was another guy on the IF Ratings site who had a similar opinion of ND.
Since nothing entertaining happens in the first 3 scenes of this game, I assume nothing entertaining happens in the rest of them either. In this game you play a total loser, (as proven by your recollection of the time it took 2 weeks for you and your roommates to clean up the poop that a friend of yours had left on your television set, as well as you thinking yourself clever for comparing the combining of techno music with goth imagery to combining country music and French art), who insults and beats up homeless people in order to feel like less of a loser, because someone is more of a loser than you I guess. This game might get better later on, but it's up to you to decide if you want to put up with 20 minutes of that just to find out. For me it wasn't. - JAA
Er, wait. Now that I have found the comment, the initials are the same as the original poster. I guess he blotted it out of his mind the first time or something, and then got angry all over again. Maybe he's thinking, "Why do so many of these Hugo games have poop in them?!?!"

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:Will you autograph my copy of Jolt Country?

I mean, you seem to be on the precipice of fame and unbelievable wealth and more than a little interactive fiction inroads towards cornering the market (as it were).

THE
ON THE EDGE
AARDVARK
I wish I were on the edge of greatness. But I fear I may only be aspiring for it. Perhaps, one day, we shall break through. Perhaps.

If not, we can always just start making Japanese RPGS! ^______^