The Cryptozookeeper BLOG

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Cryptozookeeper BLOG

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I have never had a blog before... but I created one last month to talk about the development of the game "Cryptozookeeper," or "CZK" for short.

It's here:

http://cryptozookeeper.blogspot.com

I'm going to continue to update it as the game is completed. There won't be any spoilers, I don't think, aside from the occassional screenshot.

I doubt there will be much activity as we are headed to the CGE this week, but there are a number of older entries that are hopefully good for a chuckle or two.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Oooh, there are comments already!
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Wasteland":

fag

gay

penis fart
Man, I totally get why the blog has started to surpass the forum when it comes to the #1 way geeks like to communicate. Well played, blog readers. WELL played.

Post by Guest »

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to work on tweaking and coding the game (that will be enjoyed for years), as opposed to say, taking an hour to write a post that maybe five people will ever see?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Not really, because I would otherwise write the same post here. I have a shitty memory - I can't remember a thing about the development of Fallacy - and this lets me corral my thoughts into a handy HTML page that I'll be able to upload to JC when the game is all done.

But believe me, there are about a dozen things I'd like to eliminate from my life that would free up more time for CZK development. So I agree with you in principle.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Plus, the penis fart guys seems to really be enjoying himself. Why interfere? Live and let live, I say.

bruce

Post by bruce »

I think it's funny that because of all the penis and fart (I presume), "Get Ann Coulter's Column By Email" is the ad on the page.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Updated the blog. People can subscribe to the RSS feed of the thing, so this will be the last time I'll bump this thread with notice. If you are reading it: thank you!

That Guy

Post by That Guy »

So how's that blog coming along dude

Ice Cream Jonsey

Think I said elsewhere that every moment I spent updating it was a moment I wasn't working on the game!

That being said, I have an official CALL FOR MORE MUSIC out. If you have access to music without any vocals (the occasional sample is fine) and you'd like to help out an independent game developer by letting him use it in a non-exclusive way, please respond to this thread with details.

Yours in Christ,

ICJ

Ice Cream Jonsey

I don't know regular expressions that well. I understand the concepts, but I don't have the syntax down. Lysander found a bug for me and it made me want to learn them to run a scan for the game's contents.

In the game I keep track of the following for dialogue:

- what a character can say
- what state that option is in (inactive, active, used)

(It's a different system than in FoD, ND and Pantomime.)

I named one array CharacterThink and one CharacterTalk. And I am always confusing the two. I make an assignment like this when a dialogue option has been used:

PlayerTalk[11] = 2

Well, if I have Think there instead of Talk... it wrecks my arrays. My precious, delicious arrays.

So, to end this story already, I did a regex expression for Think\[.*\] = 2 to make sure it didn't appear anywhere, as that would always be wrong.

And it found something.

So that fixed a future, unfound bug.

Yeaaaaah regexes!!!