Fallacy of Dawn & Necrotic Drift Questions

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Marska

Fallacy of Dawn & Necrotic Drift Questions

Post by Marska »

Hey,

Been playing Fallacy of Dawn on and off for a week and end up stuck at the video store right after you exit the Pizza Zoo (and are forced to find credit somewhere).

1) Am I missing something or are you meant to go somewhere else for cash? Talking to Tericho right outside Academy Video is a big "Du'h, here be your next quest land lover!" yet I guess I'm not using the right verb..

Can't fight the clerk, can't ask Clara to distract him.. Not sure what to do, ya? Help would be appreciated.

Also..

2) In Necrotic drift, how do you save Casey? Don't know how you extract the blood from Audrey, then put it in the balloon, etc, etc. Got the bad ending, not a happy camper.

Thanks,

Marska

pinback

Post by pinback »

a/s/l?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Marska

Post by Marska »

Sorry, I'm not into guys.

Marska

Lex

Post by Lex »

It is unlike Robb to ignore a query from a fan!

He must be busy, hang on there buddy.
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Fallacy of Dawn & Necrotic Drift Questions

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Marska wrote:1) Am I missing something or are you meant to go somewhere else for cash? Talking to Tericho right outside Academy Video is a big "Du'h, here be your next quest land lover!" yet I guess I'm not using the right verb..
You've got it right. The triggering of it isn't as good as it could be. Basically, if you grab some games out of the bargain bin and present them to the clerk you'll find that he reacts to some of them. Some of the bad ones. You can take him out of the picture without resulting to violence by giving him a string of crappy games. (>looking at the games should tell you if Delarion thinks they are bad or not in case one is obscure.)

2) In Necrotic drift, how do you save Casey? Don't know how you extract the blood from Audrey, then put it in the balloon, etc, etc. Got the bad ending, not a happy camper.
This was more an easter egg gone wrong than anything else. If you look in the coffin you'll find a bag of blood -- tricky to do because the mummy is on you rather quickly. If you give the blood to the spectre he'll keep it cold for you and return it on your exit from the mall. Casey's fate improves from there.

Hope this helps!

Robb
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Post by Guest »

Oh thanks.

I ended up giving the clerk a few games but he didn't react; but now it seems logical that he was just holding his laughter in.

With the balloon I guess my logic just went haywire because I didn't bother to check the coffin and then it seemed "Hey.. A balloon, perfect container to hold blood"

My mistakes, thank you for the help.

Marska

Post by Guest »

By the way,

Rob, do you happen to make any cameos in Fallacy or Necrotic Drift?

Quite a few of the graphics seem to be some sort of inside joke and a few seem to say much more than I can abstract from them. Kinda cool..

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

BEST OF.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Anonymous wrote:By the way, Rob, do you happen to make any cameos in Fallacy or Necrotic Drift?
I play a dead body in Fallacy of Dawn, but I am (fortunately) not in ND.

Quite a few of the graphics seem to be some sort of inside joke and a few seem to say much more than I can abstract from them. Kinda cool..
Thank you very much. Here is the Ultimate List of Pseudo Graphic In-Jokes That I Can Remember:

o Criswell (in Necrotic Drift) is wearing a shirt photoshopped to say "FREE PITTMAN." I am of the belief that the photoshoppery is good and makes it look like he really had that shirt. My brother and girlfriend, however, have told me in no uncertain terms that the job sucks. Who to believe? And of course, the Pittman in question is the guy who went berserk at the beginning of No Time to Squeal.

o Again in ND, the wraith is eventually depicted moving into the Jewelry Store. While JC Poster "ChainGangGuy" provided most of the reference for the wraith the one that shows him with his back to the camera is in fact a manipulated picture of a Silver Surfer toy.

o The movie theatre in Fallacy of Dawn did not in fact have Guild of Thieves posters up advertising the GoT movie.

... OK, that's all I can think of presently. =(

Robb
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Post by Guest »

The Pittmann thing was alright, worked because the rest of the photograph was smudged with that artsy preference.

What I found really funny is that orange Playstation Electronic gun in Fallacy of Dawn. Kinda smirked and smiled at that (video game addict running around with a light gun.. Funny).

But what was a bit annoying is that when you show Yar skulking around the office at the end of the game, the guy you have playing him looks nothing like the avatar you use. Small annoyance, but eh.. Ya know.

Other than that, it seemed everyone had a knock up time doing the shots. Must be something to get people together and then tell them "Hey.. I'm making an IF text adventure and I need pictures!"

And may as well say it.. I was dissapointed with the end of Fallacy; a few small lines of text to round off the reasoning of the title didn't feel very complete. Kinda Neal Stephenson thing going, where you leave some characters to themselves.

But a great journey, glad I had the chance to take part in it!

bruce

Post by bruce »

Marska wrote:Sorry, I'm not into guys.
Insert joke about Pinback's actual guyness or lack thereof here.

Bruce

Necromancer

????

Post by Necromancer »

>get game
I pick out a cartridge at random (a copy of Rocket Jockey to be specific) from the bargain bin.

>get game
I pick out a cartridge at random (a copy of Rocket Jockey to be specific) from the bargain bin.

>get game

>get game

Marska

Post by Marska »

Though the game bin mechanic was a bit annoying, I remember chuckling to myself when I pulled A Fork in the Tale out of it and realized Robb spent way too much time brainstorming it's blurb.

It's odd but I felt Crypto was a throw back to FoD in a number of ways, mainly in that both games were trying out an immense number of new story and gameplay devices with the trade off being that Robb's next title will present these same thoughts in a far more honed, polished and refined state.

Considering that "No time to Squeal" was ICJ's best title, I quite excited to see what a further collaboration between him and Sousa will bring (especially with what they both have learned over the last few years).

Anyway, I'll see everyone in 2025!

Marska

RealNC

Re: ????

Post by RealNC »

Necromancer wrote:>get game

>get game

>get game

>get game
If the bin is filled with Rocket Jockey cartridges, then any random pick will get you a copy of Rocket Jockey.

Not a bug, but realistic probabilistic physics simulation.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I think the point is that placing a "probabilistic physics simulation" in a game at a point that relies on different objects being obtained, isn't wise?

Furrowed my brow and gave a bit of a squinty eye to this scene, especially after I pulled five copies of "A fork in a tale" out of the bin at one point (especially since I didn't want to miss any flavor text).

shooldvv4

Post by shooldvv4 »

Twist again with this incredible sequel to one of the most popular word games of all time. Shuffle letters to form words in three all-new game modes and two of ...