Necrotic Drift: THE MANUAL

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Necrotic Drift: THE MANUAL

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Hi! In a few days, I'll be releasing a computer game called NECROTIC DRIFT.

I've finished up the manual, and it's available for download. Won't you take a look? Let me know if I have introduced any terrible spelling errors.

It's right here:

DOWNLOAD LINK!

Thanks again! ND should be available for download soon.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Worm

Post by Worm »

"We aren't out commiting heresy and we're not a bunch of heretics" sounds wierd.

Oh and I've got a load of spacing between words.
Good point Bobby!

guest? wtf?

hey its robb

Post by guest? wtf? »

Which spacing issues irritate you, Worm?

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Er, that manual looks a tritye thin for a manual. Do you want any of us to write more articles for it? I could probably come up with some "teh omg OMG FUNNAY" to put in there. Shit, I'm going to a fucking fine arts camp, if I can't think of anything there than I can't think of anything anywhere.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Worm

Re: hey its robb

Post by Worm »

guest? wtf? wrote:Which spacing issues irritate you, Worm?
Maybe it's just my Acrobat but certain places have pretty big spaces. I mean it's probably to accommodate the columns so there aren't a bunch of hyphens.
Though the one line looks like this (...)"Important? _____________ I". The underscores are spaces of course.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ah! Yeah, that's because I had the "justify text" option on. If there are long words around it produces some odd things. But that's the whole of Printing Discipline's problems, not mine. (Unfortunately, Microsoft Word does not seemingly -- well, easily -- allow you to select non-justified text for just a line in the middle of an otherwise justified text box.

It probably can be done... but like anything else with Word it's a time resource issue. Do I wish to spend the six or seven minutes it takes me to look it up? I know -- it's just six minutes. But it adds up for every single thing I try to do in their awkward (to me) interface.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Lysander wrote:Er, that manual looks a tritye thin for a manual. Do you want any of us to write more articles for it? I could probably come up with some "teh omg OMG FUNNAY" to put in there. Shit, I'm going to a fucking fine arts camp, if I can't think of anything there than I can't think of anything anywhere.
The thing with the manual is that I need it to be under eight pages, as that's four double-sided pages, and that, in theory, should fit without too much bulk when I send the thing out for feelies.org.

The latest revision now has a sample transcript. I thought I'd try to more accurately reflect what an average, inexperienced user might try with ND, so hopefully that worked out OK.

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

You could always just not justify your margins. I'm sure you never thought of that.

Also, while I appreciate being included at all after completely flaking on the second round of testing, it's KostOCK. Rhymes with cOCK. I'm surprised no one in grade school ever caught that one.

Kent

Post by Kent »

Worm wrote:Though the one line looks like this (...)"Important? _____________ I". The underscores are spaces of course.
You can fake Word out a bit on this by manually hyphenating longer words with Ctrl+- (Control+minus) to insert an optional hyphen. Like, in the '...important? I' example, put one between the following 'under' and 'stand', and it'll hyphenate 'under' on up to the previous line. But the hyphen will disappear if 'under' subsequently gets bumped on down to join 'stand' again.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Debaser wrote:You could always just not justify your margins. I'm sure you never thought of that.

Also, while I appreciate being included at all after completely flaking on the second round of testing, it's KostOCK. Rhymes with cOCK. I'm surprised no one in grade school ever caught that one.
Hey, I'm sorry about that, m'man. I probably typed it incorrectly in one place and then it spread like wildfire every time I've referenced it since. I shall improve that transgression!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Kent wrote:You can fake Word out a bit on this by manually hyphenating longer words with Ctrl+- (Control+minus) to insert an optional hyphen. Like, in the '...important? I' example, put one between the following 'under' and 'stand', and it'll hyphenate 'under' on up to the previous line. But the hyphen will disappear if 'under' subsequently gets bumped on down to join 'stand' again.
!!!

Holy cow, that's useful. Wow. Thanks on that. It looks a lot better than it did previously.

bruce

Post by bruce »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:But it adds up for every single thing I try to do in their awkward (to me) interface.
Then use <i>something else</i>, cockcheese!

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

bruce wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:But it adds up for every single thing I try to do in their awkward (to me) interface.
Then use <i>something else</i>, cockcheese!

Bruce
I tried. Well, sort of.

First I was going to do it in Photoshop. But that's horrible for making a newspaper. Just really awkward.

I was going to use LaTeX on Gunther's suggestion (and might if I make another game) but there was a bit of a learning curve there.

The thing was, I then found a template for a newspaper in Word that was enough like the What Burgler? thing that came with Guild of Thieves. So I just went with that.

Word I've never really liked. But I had it, thanks to an MSDN subscription. Really, word processing was finished years ago, but Microsoft has to justify selling new versions of it. I feel that they've really bloated the hell out of it, but more, they've made it unwieldly in attempting to get it nice for the LCD of society that can't spell and doesn't need full access to menus and blah blah blah.

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

However! It is better than fucking PDF! So every Microsoft cloud background has a dark, Adobe-tinged lining! ...And saving the PDF document to text comes up with some *really* weird results.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica