Let's discuss all text adventures.

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Let's discuss all text adventures.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The forum at intfiction.org switched to Discourse, which some people like and some don't. I like forums of all shapes and kinds, and Discourse is A-OK with me. I like it because it is different, in much the same way that I like the old Commodore, Apple and Atari computers pretty much equally.

For those that wanted phpBB3 - feel free to talk about whatever you like here. We have had fun over the years with forums "below the fold" on this site - for instance, we host discussion for the Adventure Creation Kit software.

I'll keep all the posts about work on my games in the JC Games Development base.

I don't think people are clamoring over each other to use phpBB3 specifically, but please do feel free!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Robb

Re: Let's discuss all text adventures.

Post by Robb »

Guest posting is on - I am going to watch registered accounts this week but the fastest way to get an account approved at the moment is to give me a heads up here. Thanks!

B. Mays

Post by B. Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pmI don't think people are clamoring over each other to use phpBB3 specifically
Don't sell yourself short, you're doing a fine job here and phpBB3 was a great choice.

Can we discuss text adventures we've been meaning to play but haven't got around to yet and why here?

Ice Cream Jonsey

We can do that - please do.

I have one update for anyone that's made a text game. Get it on Steam! Every dickhead with access to the Unity asset store is doing this. They are eating our lunch. The scene that I was a part of in the 2000s believe in sharing free software. Well, let's be honest - that scene is dead, long live the scene. Get some money and exposure and put your stuff on Steam. Michael Gentry and Zarf have already done so, I hope my other friends and acquaintances from that time do the same. I'd love to see Future Boy!, Earth and Sky, Shrapnel and others listed there.

Steam wants $100 up front to get there. Then they want you to make $100 net in sales before they pay you any money. (I would argue you fucking pay people every month until they get to the first $100 they charged, but what do I know.) I was part of an IndieGala promotion and I made my money back and then some with Cryptozookeeper. Cryptoozookeeper had a nice new interpreter and some bug fixes and still turned a profit. And more, thousands of people bought that bundle. In this case I only did care about exposure and getting the game out there. In one month of that bundle I now have the opportunity for people to say "Oh, I've got something by him!" when Cyberganked comes out. (And I never got Linux or OSX working for Crypto, but I won't ship Cyberganked without it.)

So I hope people do it. I had concerns that IndieGala would rip me off but they didn't. The experience was GOOD.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This sort of discusses all text adventures. It is weird to be browsing reddit and suddenly find yourself in the new threads area for your particular subreddits.

https://l-idiot-mystique.blogspot.com/2 ... glish.html

Ice Cream Jonsey

That feeling when 139 of your Steam games have a 20KB update and yours aren't in there.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Do what now?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:27 pmDo what now?
I had 139 Steam games require some 7KN - 50KB update last night.

Mine weren't in there, they didn't need to be updated. I am missing out on whatever it was.

You'll see this when we get Pinneroids up there.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Yeah, but I got no such mass update. Do you know what it was? Did anyone else get mass Steam updates?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think it was NFTs?

StephaneF

Post by StephaneF »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 pm This sort of discusses all text adventures. It is weird to be browsing reddit and suddenly find yourself in the new threads area for your particular subreddits.

I'm the cunt behind this blog. I'm currently playing Cryptokeeper. PLEASE tell me there is a walkthrough somewhere on the web. I love that game but I'm obviously unable to finish it (or even to begin it seriously)

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

StephaneF wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 pm This sort of discusses all text adventures. It is weird to be browsing reddit and suddenly find yourself in the new threads area for your particular subreddits.

I'm the cunt behind this blog. I'm currently playing Cryptokeeper. PLEASE tell me there is a walkthrough somewhere on the web. I love that game but I'm obviously unable to finish it (or even to begin it seriously)
Let me guess.. you couldn't figure out how to get out of the room with the dude eating oysters? I was stuck way too long there, but the neat thing about that puzzle is I later found out there is more than one way to deal with it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

StephaneF

Post by StephaneF »

No, I made it a bit further. I'm stuck with the glass / bleeding hand problem, and also when you go for the crow, in that dark nothingness with a muddy ground or something like that

Ice Cream Jonsey

There is some salve in a box in the room you go into! If I remember right, you can put that on your hand to heal it up. Please let me know if I am remembering incorrectly!

StephaneF

Post by StephaneF »

Ah, thanks, it worked.

And for the nothingness you're sent into when you enter the TV building searching for the crow, what must I do ?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Great question, that one did not immediately come to mind and I shall look it up!

I think with the salve I was trying to get the player to trust me/the game. Heyyyy you cut your hand, but look, one room away, there's some help. That works as long as trust is never, ever betrayed anywhere else in the game and it probably is.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, if you are where I think you are - is there any chance, that you are doing an action, and the game is telling you that you can not do the action? Like maybe the game is lying to you? To the extent that if you had some things you were supposed to try, the game does "let" you do them, even though the parser is saying otherwise?

If none of this makes any sense then you may be in a different spot than I am visualizing.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pm For those that wanted phpBB3 - feel free to talk about whatever you like here....
I don't think people are clamoring over each other to use phpBB3 specifically, but please do feel free!
May I recommend MyBB, I like the way it is set up, see the QB64 Phoenix Edition programming language forums at https://qb64phoenix.com . It also supportd external links to other sites.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

What?

What?

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I love how the "I want people to trust my game" post is instantly followed by a "but could the game be LYING TO YOU??" post.