Deadpool

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

ICJ

Deadpool

Post by ICJ »

The best super-hero movie ever and a damn fine action flick.

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

That means four stars. It's a four-star movie.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I give it three and a half stars. Definitely very funny and entertaining and the fourth (and sixteenth?) wall stuff was good, and the Fight-Clubby "fuck you" opening credits were great.

I knock a half point off, because during the last half hour, it seemed they were trying to hard to cram in all of the pop culture references they could. Also "let's dance, by which I mean, let's try to kill each other" is not a good line.

But other than that, I agree with ICJ.

And the post-end-credit gag made me "laugh out loud", or as the kids put it, "dtf".
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I think there's been three movies I've seen recently that have used 70s music as a way to lighten the mood -- Guardians of the Galaxy, The Martian and Deadpool. But it works on me nevertheless. The opening credits in Deadpool were great. I hesitate to say what I am about to say, but screw it, this will be a Banzai Bug Support Forum shortly, so who cares:

You gotta give it to Watchmen, those were some damn fine opening credits. But Deadpool's is right up there. I just don't want to imply that all I watch is action movies, but all I watch is action movies.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I havent seen any of these movies. It seems there's another superhero movie coming out every other weekend. Worse than keeping up with the comic boo...graphic novels.
Besides actually watching these movies, is there another way to enjoy them? Audiobook, maybe?

THE
READ ME A STORY
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Are any of these comic book movies worth seeing if you don't like comic books? I mean, I liked the old Batman and Superman movies and never read those comic books. Are these movies enjoyable for someone who doesn't care about any of the winks or nods made to the source material or comic book universe?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:I havent seen any of these movies. It seems there's another superhero movie coming out every other weekend. Worse than keeping up with the comic boo...graphic novels.
"It's just all there is!" -- Jeff Winger, Community

Yes. That is all there is any more.
Besides actually watching these movies, is there another way to enjoy them? Audiobook, maybe?
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, well, we could send Paul to see one and get his review on a "reworkening" of the Don Rogers Show.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:Are any of these comic book movies worth seeing if you don't like comic books? I mean, I liked the old Batman and Superman movies and never read those comic books. Are these movies enjoyable for someone who doesn't care about any of the winks or nods made to the source material or comic book universe?
Deadpool is a legitimately good action flick. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The individual scenes of Guardians of the Galaxy are entertaining, in my opinion, BUUUUUT I don't see how anyone would "understand" it without taking an interest in 1970s Marvel Comics. I am probably in the tenth of a percent that knew who those people were coming in to the film and even I wasn't getting stuff.

(I am bad at understanding movies, though.)

Maybe the first Iron Man would be one that people could enjoy without keeping up on this nonsense? Ant-Man started to bore me, I didn't finish it. I don't think the Avengers movies are particularly good. That's my opinion, I'm Mike Disney.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I would say that no X-Men movie qualifies for what Flack is looking for. I forgot to mention that.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't like comic books or superheroes, but I found Iron Man, the Avengers, Deadpool, and The Dark Knight entertaining.

You'll notice, these are the ones that have good actors/writers/directors associated with them. That seems to be a running theme, Mr. Affleck.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I still like Ben Affleck.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I will donate $1 to the Red Cross to hear Pinback's take on WATCHMEN.

This also gets me out of using the search function.

pinback

Post by pinback »

2.5 - 3 stars, from what I remember. That was DOES require that you care about the comics, which I definitely do not. Probably would have ranked it higher otherwise, but as a non-caring viewer, I was all, eh, you know, not bad.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thank you for your service. Okay, Flack and Aardvark, don't watch that one.

I am curious if Guardians of the Galaxy is funny enough for people that hate this cape shit.

bruce

Post by bruce »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Thank you for your service. Okay, Flack and Aardvark, don't watch that one.

I am curious if Guardians of the Galaxy is funny enough for people that hate this cape shit.
I'm not really into that cape shit, but Guardians was an enjoyable movie.

Bruce

Flack

Post by Flack »

Same here. I didn't even know it was a comic book movie and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second one.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Likewise, I didn't know that a Guardians comic existed. Just saw the movie. It's an excellent movie. It didn't even seem like a super-hero movie to me. I thought it was a sci-fi fantasy movie. And as such, it's top notch.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Okay, I'm not really sensing a consensus here. Flack, don't watch Guardians of the Galaxy to be safe.

CO

Post by CO »

I guess this is sort of relevant but going the other way from tv to comics. I haven't read a comic since I was a kid but this might get me to give it a chance and buy a book or two. Hope I'm not looking too cheesy for thinking it might be ok, what do you think?

The Classic Version of Battlestar Galactica Is Returning to Comics

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Okay, I'm not really sensing a consensus here. Flack, don't watch Guardians of the Galaxy to be safe.
I thought Guardians was pretty bad, myself. One jerk-off joke and a bunch of crazy crap flying around doesn't make a great movie, in my opinion.