The Walking Dead

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I've watched this show, but since this thread was originally created, I also swore it off. It was because up with pod people from caltrops kept recommending that I stick with it.

There were some annoying characters, but I think all of the annoying characters are dead now.

I think last night's episode was the first.... B- episode in the show's history? God, it's not unwatchable but season 3 was the bare minimum of what we should get out of a zombie show.

(The scene where Merle traps Glenn was amazing, however.)

I think that lethargic said on Twitter that he hated tonight's episode though.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Season 1 - A few great moments surrounded by a lot of tedium.

Season 2 - Worst season of TV ever. Absolutely nothing happened for the majority of the episodes. Wasting the entire season on the "search for Sophia" was some of the most infuriating shit I've ever sat through.

Season 3 (1st half) - Perfection. Finally became what a zombie TV show should be. Every episode was tense and action packed.

Season 3 (2nd half) - Utter disappointment. All the excitement of the first half was thrown out so we could go back to nearly a season 2 level of nothing happening.

Season 4 - Battling season 2 for worst season of TV ever. Back to nothing happening. Back to dragging everything out as long as possible. The show is basically in a huge stall while they wait to get The Governor back on the show and things can finally move forward.

The zombies have become almost meaningless as we do nothing but watch people cough for an hour. There's no tension whatsoever with this stupid flu crap because it's only killing characters off we've never seen before. They brought all these new people in from Woodbury for the sole reason of keeping up a body count without killing any of the stars.

Season 4 has proved George Romero's take on the show to be absolutely perfect. It's a soap opera where a zombie shows up every once in a while.

Ice Cream Jonsey

lethargic wrote:Season 3 (1st half) - Perfection. Finally became what a zombie TV show should be. Every episode was tense and action packed.
It was, wasn't it? I have no idea why they killed off Michael Rooker's character. He was great for that show. They HAD to keep him around because the strongest member of their group was his brother. And yet Merle was such an asshole.

It would have been great to see if Merle would have grown at all or learned something or become a better man or had to make decisions nobody else would have wanted to (like the charred bodies we saw earlier). But they killed him for... for no reason, really.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:It was, wasn't it? I have no idea why they killed off Michael Rooker's character. He was great for that show. They HAD to keep him around because the strongest member of their group was his brother. And yet Merle was such an asshole.

It would have been great to see if Merle would have grown at all or learned something or become a better man or had to make decisions nobody else would have wanted to (like the charred bodies we saw earlier). But they killed him for... for no reason, really.
I'd bet money they killed him because of his paycheck. Every problem this show has is because AMC keeps them on such a shoestring budget. When the show started, Rooker was the biggest name in the cast. He probably cost too much to keep on.

As soon as the other actors deals come up for renewal I'm sure we'll be seeing Rick and Daryl zombies.

Ice Cream Jonsey

lethargic wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:It was, wasn't it? I have no idea why they killed off Michael Rooker's character. He was great for that show. They HAD to keep him around because the strongest member of their group was his brother. And yet Merle was such an asshole.

I'd bet money they killed him because of his paycheck. Every problem this show has is because AMC keeps them on such a shoestring budget. When the show started, Rooker was the biggest name in the cast. He probably cost too much to keep on.

As soon as the other actors deals come up for renewal I'm sure we'll be seeing Rick and Daryl zombies.
Never thought of that. I wonder if that's why they wrote Carol off this week as well? Not that she was going to ask for a big paycheck, but because it reiterates that they will dump any character at any time?

I don't see any way they could survive the loss of Norman Reedus at this point. Not because he is a terrific actor (he's fine) but because every broad in the universe seems to want to shag that guy at the moment.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

There's no way Carol is gone for good. That whole thing was too stupid for words. There's no way that's how she really leaves the show.

Daryl will go find her and bring her back or she'll end with the Governor either as a prisoner or member of his group. BOOK IT.

I can't believe how popular Reedus. At the Nashville Horror Convention we walked right up and got an autograph from the chick from True Blood. The line for Reedus went out the room and down the hall. Plus his autograph cost twice as much. He's really friendly and nice though. He sure seems to appreciate this gig.

But he's so ridiculously tiny in real life. I don't get it. He's the muscley bad ass on the show. Then in real life I'm like, I'm pretty sure I could take this guy.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

I left out two words in that post. I wish I could fix it.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

They diverged from the comic and for the first season it made sense as there is a distinct lack of TV grabbing closure in that part of the book. But now the biggest changes have been to rush things along and make the women whiny / needy / moronic.

At this point its whatever... I'll just stick to the comic, thank you for very much.

Retro

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

I don't mind them changing stories from the comics. I've already read the comics and know what happens there. I'd rather see something different and not know everything that is going to happen.

It's the changes to the characters that piss me off. Tyrese is the best example. He was such a bad ass in the books and in the show he is the biggest pussy in the group and hasn't had one second where his character feels necessary.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Okay, sorry - I also don't mind them changing the story. What they have done though, is completely change the pacing of the comic and the personalities of the characters.

Suddenly Tyrese is a secondary character, all the women are whiny, air headed bimbos with little sense and it feels as if they are pulling off gags both small and large to keep the "Wow! Bang!" factor high (moving the death of Laurie up, keeping the baby alive, changing the pace of the governor arc, giving Rick headphones "just because!" etc).

Even without the comic for reference, the show is laughable at this point for any number of reasons.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The comics really are much, much better. I just hate waiting a whole month to read such short episodes.

The show I've really like but man.. this season they've introduced some sort of bellowing, AWFUL music. There should be ZERO music in this series aside from the intro music, slow and out of tune violin, and the occasional "Dah!" note.

This new music is unbearable and I don't remember it being used so often (at all?) until this season.

Retro

Post by Retro »

For the comics, my habit has been to wait a few months to a year and then read the back issues. For example, "All Out War" finishes in April of 2014, so I'm going to probably wait until later next year (or whenever I remember the series) to pick it back up.

Have you been reading anything else? I'm running a bit dry on comics worth reading and would love suggestions.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

I thought that last night's episode was pretty good, seeing as how all the annoying people took the night off.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Thought tonight's episode was great. It was like somebody took the movie Blank Check but replace the money with zombies.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wellllll it was a show featuring the weakest actor, with no real plot or story. I would say that it was the worst episode I've ever seen of the last two seasons.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Apparently is had something to do with pudding?

So says my twitter feed.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Wellllll it was a show featuring the weakest actor, with no real plot or story. I would say that it was the worst episode I've ever seen of the last two seasons.
No way was this even close to being the worst episode when 75% of the first half of this season was only watching characters we didn't know cough for 40 minutes.

1 - It had more character development for Carl and Michonne in this one episode than the show has done in 2 years.

2 - It had quite a bit of action which this show forgets way too often.

3 - It was actually fun which the show almost never is.

Ice Cream Jonsey

lethargic wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Wellllll it was a show featuring the weakest actor, with no real plot or story. I would say that it was the worst episode I've ever seen of the last two seasons.
No way was this even close to being the worst episode when 75% of the first half of this season was only watching characters we didn't know cough for 40 minutes.

1 - It had more character development for Carl and Michonne in this one episode than the show has done in 2 years.

2 - It had quite a bit of action which this show forgets way too often.

3 - It was actually fun which the show almost never is.
Carl can't act, and the Michonne bit was a dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam. I hate dreams so much that I deleted the dream thread that was active on this BBS just now.

I guess I liked how they explained why she had those two zombies near her when she was first introduced.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Carl can't act
This is a lethargic-level bad opinion.

pinback

Post by pinback »

lethargic wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Carl can't act
This is a lethargic-level bad opinion.
That's what I came here to say about your opinion. Carl CANNOT ACT, dude. So ICJ is correct that an episode focusing on him is the worst one.

Why do you have to be wrong about everything?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.