Movies Where He Dies At The End [Spoilers!]

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote:Nakatomi Corporation, probably from Takagi, her boss, gave Holly her watch. (Takagi states to McClane it was a present [presumably from her employer] for her hard work.
Therefore when Hans clutches the watch at the end of the movie and McClane unlatches it, allowing it to fall and Hans to plummet to his death, we have a metaphor that involves McClane, McClane's wife Holly, Holly's career and Holly's relationship with to family and John.

Hans doesn't get any of that, he just gets greased out. He receives no growth from that moment, a sure sign that he is not the protagonist of the film.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I do give the screenwriter and director of Die Hard a ton of credit for giving Hans Gruber a lot more motivation than most action movie villains get.

It really is the perfect movie.
It's the perfect action movie.

It's the perfect action movie, Robb.

The perfect action movie: Die Hard
The perfect "summer blockbuster" movie: Jaws
The perfect science fiction movie: 2001
The perfect war movie: Apocalypse Now
The perfect Bob & Doug McKenzie movie: Strange Brew

On these, there can be no dissenting opinions.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:I stand
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Hans doesn't get any of that, he just gets greased out. He receives no growth from that moment, a sure sign that he is not the protagonist of the film.
We will have to agree to disagree. Hans is the Villain Protagonist. McClane just walked into the action which was already in progress and started by Hans. Hans is the one executing a plan, McClane is the Hero Antagonist, the one who is trying to stop a plan already in action.

Look at Lord of the Rings, the protagonist goes on a quest to throw the ring in a volcano, the antagonists are trying to stop him from doing so.

I still stand by my statement. You still haven't convinced me that Die Hard is other than a movie where John, as the antagonist, is trying to stop Hans' plot.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The terms antagonist and protagonist mean something in a literary sense. If you look that concept up and return to my posts, you will see why everything I said is correct.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

WTF is a villain protagonist? Isn't that about as coherent as calling your product "Cheddar Cheese?"
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

The protagonist is the star of the story. The protagonist has an arc of change, and a goal.

The antagonist is the story's villain. Antagonists also have a goal, which is diametrically opposed to the protagonist's.

A "Villain Protagonist" is when you take a villain and tell the story from their point of view. Per Google: "Famous examples of traditional villain protagonists at work include the Godfather trilogy, The Usual Suspects, American Psycho, A Clockwork Orange, and Dexter."

There's a reason Die Hard is not on that list.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

Flack wrote:The protagonist is the star of the story. The protagonist has an arc of change, and a goal.

The antagonist is the story's villain. Antagonists also have a goal, which is diametrically opposed to the protagonist's.

A "Villain Protagonist" is when you take a villain and tell the story from their point of view. Per Google: "Famous examples of traditional villain protagonists at work include the Godfather trilogy, The Usual Suspects, American Psycho, A Clockwork Orange, and Dexter."

There's a reason Die Hard is not on that list.
And you have just explained to me what my eldest child was learning in ELA earlier this school year. Cool.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!