The Magnolia Files

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Brain cells grow back? Everything I thought I knew was a lie. I had honestly never heard that before.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Why would brain cells be any different from cells in any other part of the body?

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, what, it's synapses that burn out? The expression must have come from some where. I was honestly under the impression that nerve cells or whatnot in your braindo not regenerate.

I don't know what you mean by "why would it be any different?" Things are different. For instance, I took out a giant chunk of my right index finger when the five of us shot pool in Vegas. It has just about all grown back and healed up. If I had lost the finger at the knuckle, it would not have. Things are different. One's body, as pop music has informed me, is a wonderland.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Oh, shut UP.

GOD, you're annoying. I mean, we had fun in Vegas and all, but Jesus are you an annoying little person.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Sorry for trying to drag an answer out of you, Mr. Wizard. I thought that all the time you spent in COLLEGE studying SCIENCE I mean BIOLOGY I mean PHYSIOLOGY I mean, that's right, no college would TAKE you because you have done nothing but FAIL at everything you've ever attempted in your miserable life at every single point.

"But I read on the Internet -- " Great. Thanks, Ben! Thanks for explaining these difficult concepts to the rest of us!

Drinking may not kill off your brain cells, but a five minute argument with you, your stupidity and the ignorance that bleeds out of you like thick sap syrup certainly does a great job slaying them.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Also, I'd recommend to Violet to give marijuana a couple more shots, just to get a good handle on it. I definitely appreciate what it has done for me, both now and when I started smoking. When pot was new to me, I was amazed by the way it'd make my brain work so associatively. Everything reminded me of past experiences and thoughts. Sometimes I'd get the feeling that I was remembering dreams I had forgotten I ever had. On one hand, I'm glad I didn't start smoking earlier (I started in college), but I do think that it "opened up my eyes" and let me think about things from another angle.

I think it was David Cross on some talk show who was talking about some marijuana legalization march on Washington and how it was comprised of a bunch of hippies and whatever kind of foolishness is usually associated with it. His point was that the people marching on Washington should be the guys with briefcases and all the normal hard-working people who deserve to pick their own recreation.

I almost started going in on the whole decades long propaganda against pot but eh, I'll save that for another time.

Anyway, I'd recommend that Violet go smoke with some people she genuinely likes and feels comfortable being around- not for any 'smoke pot and you'll get molested' tv commercial reason, of course, but just that being with the right people can make the experience that much more comfortable and fun.

Lastly, I'd say don't mix alcohol with pot until you're really used to being high or else there may be some unfortunate consequences. Actually, the alcohol tip goes for basically any drug, but hey, we're talking about pot here.

Violet

Post by Violet »

When I smoked for the first time I was already drunk. I passed out in the back of a guys car. He was making out with my friend at the time. We didn't really know him. It was my friends 21 birthday and we had gone to a local bar to get drunk. The bartender wouldn't let us go home by ourselves so he made the cook (who my friend had a crush on and is now currently dating) take us home. He had a one hitter. I got pretty messed up that night and ended up sleeping really well. The next day I slept the entire day away.

My friend has pretty much become a pot head. She says that it "makes her feel good" and it makes her more active. She said that she cleans more when she smokes. My friend is also a "pack a day" smoker. I don't smoke cigarettes as a rule because of how it killed my grandfather. I also dislike smokers because they smell funny. I would rather not smell like I rolled in tobaco.

I can see myself getting addicted to pot, that is why I haven't smoked again (also the guilt and I don't have the money to waste.) My grandfather was addicted to alcohol. It wasn't pretty. I don't want to get that way with anything, especially something illegal.
The End

Worm

Post by Worm »

Well, I know a few kids who started with pot and stopped short of sucking cock just so you all know. Though I'll not get into my anti drug thing because it is so fucking absurd to be young and against drugs. Not Asprin either before someone pulls that weak shit on me.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Worm wrote:Well, I know a few kids who started with pot and stopped short of sucking cock just so you all know.
"Almost" sucking cock is like "almost" being pregnant, "almost" getting an abortion, and very unlike a trained US Infantryman with a basket of hand grenades by his side and a twelve-pack of Charlie in his sight.

I am not a wealthy, educated or physically well man. I am by no means a "leader" of men. But something I think we can all agree on is that a binary scale for giving hummers -- a yes/no checkbox -- is probably the best attempt that we, men, can do for real-world modeling of the event.

Worm

Post by Worm »

Well, I always thought stealing and pawning shit for drugs was pretty much the step before sucking cock which was the last step.
Good point Bobby!

bruce

Post by bruce »

<i><b>Bruce's Druggie Wisdom</b></i>

I find pot really boring. It makes me stupid and unable to talk. And paranoid. Whereas, when I get drunk, I get stupid, but I don't <i>think</i> I'm stupid, and I like talking much more than I do sober.

Hallucinogens: great, if you're a teenager without a whole lot of nasty shit you've crammed down and repressed. If throwing open the doors of perception and wandering around inside your own skull is going to be a good time for you, knock yourself out. On the other hand, I know that I've spent substantial portions of the last decade taking things I didn't want to think about and metaphorically forcing them into cages, wrapping them in thick blankets, and hiding them under the basement stairs. <i>NO FUCKING WAY</i> am I going to voluntarily let them out.

Meth: Wonderful. Magnificent. Fifteen minutes ahead of the rest of the world, brilliant, charming, and able to lift small vehicles with hardly a grimace. Makes you feel so good that you know you'd better stop doing it real quick, unless you want to not be able to stop doing it. Also, oh my GOD coming off it is nasty. Avoid, avoid, avoid, unless you really want to be one of those guys with rotten teeth and the shakes pissing your pants on a downtown sidewalk, looking 60 when you're 35.

Coke: Principal problem with coke is that the people who really like it were mostly assholes to start with and the drug only makes them more so. Plus there's that whole thing that the thing coke makes you want more than anything else is another line, and it's never as good as the last one was, but you keep thinking that maybe it's the next line that'll do the trick. I've only seen, rather than actually experienced this, but, well, ick.

Smack: OK, there are some places I just have no desire at all to even think about contemplating going, and this is one of them. Let's see: insanely addictive and makes you puke. Yeah! That's the drug for me, not.

Booze: Awwww yeah. Predictable results, cheap, legal, and delicious.

Bruce

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty »

I thought that I might stir up a little content with my post. Especially as the current JC crowd seems to be a lot more, err... "drug-friendly" than in the dial-up days.

Jonsey: Of fucking course ST is a retard comedy.

Violet: Way to totally twist what I said. If I said anything about supporting terrorists by smoking pot, it was tongue-in-cheek at best. However, the drug money is going to support illegal activities, and if you're buying it from the same guy who'll sell you coke or whatever else, it's supporting international drug trade - and I was saying that years before our alcoholic president popped out with his "drugs support terrorism" line. I certainly did not say "go tell your parents", either. Don't blame me for such things.

Ephedra is nasty shit. I did a bit of research as we briefly considered Trimspa for the Mrs (not seriously, but just curious) - ephedra is very dangerous stuff. I expect it will be outlawed one of these days, or, at the very least, be slapped with some serious warnings.

Aardvark once again coming in with some granite-solid comedy. You can't deny the boy!

Back to Jonsey. I'm more or less "live or let live" - hell, I like Straw but I don't like that he messes with drugs. But, as long as he doesn't try to do anything in my house and isn't a big bore by spending his time talking about it, then I can ignore that part of him. Also note that I have hosted a "drunkmatch" and we've got a healthy amount of booze in the house.

For those "new folks" who don't really know me, I don't drink (except for an occasional frozen "girl drink"), I have never smoked, I have never taken any illegal drugs. I also don't drink coffee nor any soda/pop. No big bias against soda/pop except that I don't like carbonation and that it tastes like shitjuice. Coffee is avoided because 1) I find it repellent and 2) I don't want anything addictive entering my body if I can help it. I don't spend my time gloating about it though, and I don't look down on drinkers.

I do look down on cigarette smokers (I can't imagine a more loathsome habit, and it is certainly worse for your health than some of the illegal drugs out there.) I look down on drug users, for various reasons - potheads for the "grow up" reason (hey, I used to have a Samantha Fox poster on my wall, but I wouldn't any more - part of growing up), harder drugs - well, c'mon, no one will debate that they'll ruin your life. Even if you survive, you look awfully dumb doing whippits or dying which practicing autoasphixiation. (OK, not a drug, but appealing to the same "altered conciousness" crowd.)

I dunno. Seems to me like you have to be really bored to have nothing better to do than sit around and take drugs. I never will, as I don't feel that my life is that empty, and - surprise surprise - I like being in full command of my brain and body. I also can't imagine being a slave to some chemical, as smokers and druggies are. (Occasional potheads probably aren't addicted, at least, and if it weren't for it being illegal, I'd probably find it less offensive than cigarettes.)

As expected, Pinback adds nothing with the weak "you can't say anything until you try it" line. Hey, do the BBS a favor and try this technique to "expand your mind."

Oh, and I'd rather hope that, sober or not, most users would agree that the "whatever happens in Vega$" line is more tired than "All Your Base".

Ice Cream Jonsey

"I haven't seen Super Troopers, but I know it's a retard comedy! Ho ho ho!" Sure, bud. No sweat. The only difference between that comedy troupe and the Kids in the Hall is that the KITH had a TV show for five years.

Ephedra is nasty shit.
No, it isn't. It will kill you if you take too much of it. Hey, guess what, so will aspirin. So will water.

Oh, and I'd rather hope that, sober or not, most users would agree that the "whatever happens in Vega$" line is more tired than "All Your Base".
It's a word replacement script, it's not everyone going out of their way to say it.

Worm

Post by Worm »

I always thought if you had the gall to fuck with your biological and neurological chemistry to feel good (I don't mean cancer medicines before you people pull out your clubs. You know exactly what I am talking about, you shits.) you really don't deserve a functioning body. Maybe you should surrender it to someone who will appreciate it like my brother.
Good point Bobby!

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

pinback wrote:Regarding "killing brain cells":

How come when people go to the gym, they don't call it "killing muscle cells", since that is exactly what they're doing?

(Answer: Because they (the cells) grow back. Second question: Why don't the people who say "killing brain cells" acknowledge this?)
For the record, this sounded appallingly wrong to me, and sure enough, I did a little research, and brain cells do not grow back after they've died. Researchers are hoping to be able to figure out a way to force them to, to help Alzeheimer's victims, but at the moment... nope.

I won't even bother searching the "killing muscle cell" claim. I understand that fat cells can easily be created, but once created, can't go away - hence, it's easier to stay skinny than it is to be fat then go skinny again (without lipsuction to remove all those fat cells)... Not sure if muscle is the same, but somehow I don't think that you make your muscles bigger by killing the cells.

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:"I haven't seen Super Troopers, but I know it's a retard comedy! Ho ho ho!" Sure, bud. No sweat. The only difference between that comedy troupe and the Kids in the Hall is that the KITH had a TV show for five years.
Err, maybe because KITH was funny.
And, for the record, the KITH movie sucked. Noticed that it completely destroyed 'em as a troupe. If it was any good, they'd be like Monty Python and would make a bunch of movies. Too bad, really, but it's very difficult for a group who's used to working in sketch comedy to stretch out a concept to a full hour-and-a-half.
No, it isn't. It will kill you if you take too much of it. Hey, guess what, so will aspirin. So will water.
But you don't know how much is too much, and last time I checked, you need water to survive. Weak, weak comeback.

Somewhat on topic, I went to a family reunion yesterday (one of those ones where you know two people there), and found out that someone's kid died of a heroin overdose as they were about to go into rehab. "One last high", so to speak.

I first wrong "heroine" overdose, but I corrected myself - good thing, that joke was done years ago. I think it was determined that Batman was the one with the heroine addiction.
It's a word replacement script, it's not everyone going out of their way to say it.
That's less funny than if I had one (as was threatened years ago) that'd turn "Robb" into "RobB".

pinback

Post by pinback »

Let's just do a little "JQW RECAP" here, to make sure nobody missed anything:

1. I am weak.
2. Robb is not funny.
3. Jack Straw is a degenerate drug addict.
4. The Vegas thing is/was not funny.
5. People who smoke or do drugs are lame.
6. People who smoke pot should grow up.

Is that pretty much it? Any other unprovoked bile I didn't manage to catch in my hasty review?

Nasty, nasty person, that JWQ.

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

pinback wrote:Let's just do a little "JQW RECAP" here, to make sure nobody missed anything:

1. I am weak.
Your comebacks are rather weak and tired. I don't need to try cancer to know that I don't want it, either.
2. Robb is not funny.
Never said that. He has unfunny bits occasionally, but is generally a funny guy.
3. Jack Straw is a degenerate drug addict.
Is that supposed to be funny? I certainly didn't say that. Actually, I said that I consider him a friend, and despite my complete distaste for drugs, I have never lectured him (or even given him the slightly bit of a hard time) about them.
4. The Vega$ (and I should state that what happens in Vega$ stays in Vega$) thing is/was not funny.
Was funny. As was "All Your Base." Is not funny any longer. Sort of like the "BBQ Name" thread. Outlived its funny many times over.
5. People who smoke or do drugs are lame.
Smokers are beyond lame. (Yet, again, a couple of my best friends are smokers.) Druggies are pretty lame, too.
6. People who smoke pot should grow up.
Pretty much, yeah.

As for unprovoked bile, Jonsey brought up the whole drug thing, accusing me of being so close-minded that I hated a movie because of drug use in the trailer for it.

Sorry that I actually have something to say. Just ignore my messages from here on out, OK? Thanks.

Ahh, hopefully a future version of phpBB will have an "ignore" feature. I know who I'll put on my ignore list.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

As someone I know once said, "I've smoked crack and Everquest is more addictive than crack!!"

So we know what the real problem with America is.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What if..

The government stands to make a shitload of money off pot if they legalize it. (taxes and whatnot)

The real reason they dont legalize it is because as more and more people use it the productivity of the workforce goes down.

the government would rather make use its people than let them drop out of society. Society makes laws about drugs because society doesn't want people unuseable to the power structure.

This is only a vague theory..

THE
G. GORDON
AARDVARK