Cobra Kai anyone?

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Cobra Kai anyone?

Post by Casual Observer »

Seems I'm late to this party as i didn't take seriously anything produced by youtube but since it hit Netflix i binged the 2 seasons and its actually good. They dont just cut to scenes from The Karate Kid but really respect what we loved about that movie. Lots of little details really make this an enjoyable sequel series. I like the twists that Macchio is now kind of a prick and Johnny is made into a full, sympathetic character. Reese steals all his scenes and makes me want to watch that TurboTax Koala Kai commercial again every day.

S02e10 has probably the best high school karate fight scene I've ever seen.

Tdarcos

Re: Cobra Kai anyone?

Post by Tdarcos »

There's a little problem none of us thought about. While it was unfair, the move by the other fighter that broke Daniel's leg earlier, only disqualifies that fighter. And while doing a "sweep the leg" on an injured man is brutal, it is not a disqualifying move.

However, Daniel's kick to the face was an illegal move, and Daniel should have been immediately disqualified. I hadn't thought about it until the guy on Cinema Sins doing a review of the movie pointed this out.

I looked it up, and an article confirms that while a controlled light touch would have been allowed, the type of kick Daniel used was an uncontrolled illegal move and the judge should have disqualified Daniel.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/12/ ... l-larusso/
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Yeah but he kicked the kid with blow-dried hair in the face. That's what the bloodthirsty audiences wanted.

THE
BASIC INSTINCT
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:17 am Yeah but he kicked the kid with blow-dried hair in the face. That's what the bloodthirsty audiences wanted.
Yep, 'Vark, you got it right on the nose. In fact, I suspect if Daniel had reached into the guy's chest and ripped his heart out, Mortal Kombat "finish him!" style, audiences would have cheered!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 am Seems I'm late to this party as i didn't take seriously anything produced by youtube but since it hit Netflix i binged the 2 seasons and its actually good. They dont just cut to scenes from The Karate Kid but really respect what we loved about that movie. Lots of little details really make this an enjoyable sequel series. I like the twists that Macchio is now kind of a prick and Johnny is made into a full, sympathetic character. Reese steals all his scenes and makes me want to watch that TurboTax Koala Kai commercial again every day.

I kind of want to watch this although I have no special affection for the Karate Kid. I am glad they exist and I probably saw just the first one. But the idea of revisiting that franchise 30 years later is pretty cool.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:02 am
Casual Observer wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 am Seems I'm late to this party as i didn't take seriously anything produced by youtube but since it hit Netflix i binged the 2 seasons and its actually good. They dont just cut to scenes from The Karate Kid but really respect what we loved about that movie. Lots of little details really make this an enjoyable sequel series. I like the twists that Macchio is now kind of a prick and Johnny is made into a full, sympathetic character. Reese steals all his scenes and makes me want to watch that TurboTax Koala Kai commercial again every day.

I kind of want to watch this although I have no special affection for the Karate Kid. I am glad they exist and I probably saw just the first one. But the idea of revisiting that franchise 30 years later is pretty cool.
You should give it a try. The way they make Johnny a sympathetic character and the s02e10 fight sceen (which is epic) makes it worth it for people of our age.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I watched the first two episodes and while there are parts that are a LITTLE stock (I refuse to believe any father on the face of the earth would apologize to his teenage daughter if his daughter threw a rager) but overall I am liking it and will probably have it on during other things. Good call, CO, thanks!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I've had half a dozen people recommend I watch this so last night I started season one. Through some sleepy, bumble-headed move, I ended up watching the first episode of season one, followed by the last. So now I've got to binge episodes 2-9 just to figure out what the hell happened and who all those kids were.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Just finished season one by watching the last episode a second time, and I was right -- it had a much deeper meaning after watching episodes 2-9, hah. I heard some people describe the show as Johnny and Daniel's roles had been flipped (Daniel was now the bad guy and Johnny was the good guy) and I didn't get that at all. I'd say more what they did was make them both more well rounded characters and show that nobody is all good or all bad. Without giving the ending to season one away, just by showing the tournament winner's family cheering in the crowd, you can kind of see that the bad guy to one person is a hero to another. Interesting concept. Can't wait to binge season two.

EDIT: I'll just leave this bit of trivia from IMDB here:
Ralph Macchio was 57 years old at the release of this series - five years older than Pat Morita was at the time of release of The Karate Kid.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ok, I finished it. The fight at the end of season two was indeed epic. Season one felt like a karate kid series and season two felt more like 90210 with a little karate thrown in. There was a lot more teenage dating drama in the second one, and it was amazing how long they milked the "he loves a girl from a different dojo" story line. It's funny that the only time the police get involved in the show was one time, and that was because underage kids were drinking. One of my kids got called into the office a couple of years ago and had to meet with a police officer because a friend of a friend was cutting themselves. You start a gang rumble in an upscale California high school and you're liable to have SWAT members rappelling in through the windows. Every time I saw a random person punched (like the car salesman) I thought "that's a lawsuit." Overall it was pretty enjoyable and not gonna lie, I was up at 5 a.m. this morning combing Amazon for a Cobra Kai hoodie and planning out my new training regiment. STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am only three episodes into it - I couldn't care less about the TEENAGE DRAMA aspect of it and might fast forward through those parts, but what is amazing to me is that I can honestly only think of two fictional characters that I would call ... some term that I can't yet define.... in media that I have encountered in the last 30 years. Guy Gardner from JLA and Johnny Lawrence from Cobra Kai. Like, Johnny is calling people pussies, curses all the time, doesn't give a fuck about anyone else and actively ruins his life. There are millions of people that grew up in the 80s that like Guns n' Roses and Coors beer and babes doing exercises in the street. MILLIONS. And they are nowhere to be found on television. At least in the stuff I watch. So maybe it is self selecting.

The biggest thing about this show so far is that it has the balls to successfully depict someone who shares character traits with my brother.

Ice Cream Jonsey

S01E04:

Johnny going to the house of the kid he's training instead of his ex-wife was a nice touch, and was the resolution of the BOBA TEA.