The King of Staten Island (2020)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

The King of Staten Island (2020)

Post by Flack »

Not gonna lie -- I went into The King of Staten Island wanting to hate it. It stars SNL-alum Pete Davidson, essentially playing a caricature of himself. The real Pete Davidson was seven years old when he lost his firefighting father during 9/11, and currently lives in New York in his mother's basement. In the film, Pete Davidson plays Scott Carlin, a guy who was seven years old when he lost his firefighting father while on duty, and currently lives in New York in his mother's basement.

Remember when Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, and David Spade joined SNL, and no one over the age of 30 "got it?" When we all thought Opera Man and Matt Foley were hilarious and our parents just shook their heads? Now I'm the parent. I've been wondering how Pete Davidson has lasted five years on SNL without being funny, and now I realize... he's funny to people under thirty, and I'm the old man. He's got that smirk that ruins ever skit he's in. I can't even tell you why I clicked on this movie.

But... I did. And it was good. It's Davidson working out his demons, but in a Judd Apatow film. There are scenes where you can feel Davidson saying things he wished he had told his father.

Davidson's Scott was mentally scarred by the loss of his father. He doesn't work, smokes weed and plays video games with his friends all day, and makes Barry from Punch-Drunk Love seem like a social butterfly. Things begin to change when his mother begins seeing a firefighter, which leads to a three-way conflict. Before long, Scott's mom has thrown both men out. Scott needs a father figure and a place to stay, and finds both at the local fire department.

I can't tell you how many times I've rolled my eyes while watching Pete Davidson skits on SNL. I did not expect to get choked up during this film. Thumbs up.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: The King of Staten Island (2020)

Post by Casual Observer »

Flack wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 amRemember when Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, and David Spade joined SNL, and no one over the age of 30 "got it?" When we all thought Opera Man and Matt Foley were hilarious and our parents just shook their heads? Now I'm the parent. I've been wondering how Pete Davidson has lasted five years on SNL without being funny, and now I realize... he's funny to people under thirty, and I'm the old man. He's got that smirk that ruins ever skit he's in. I can't even tell you why I clicked on this movie.
Gotta disagree about this point, pal, this aint generational - Pete Davidson is an unfunny fame whoring douche. My dad laughed at Farley and Sandler right along with me in the early 90's when we had already figured out that you don't watch SNL, you record it and on Sunday morning you fast forward through 65% of it.

I work with millennials and they like the same things I do, shit like Rick&Morty, Family Guy, etc. Chris Farley was a hilarious sad clown like Jim Belushi and whose "in a trailer down by the river" skits will always make me laugh uncontrollably and of course he died way too soon. Adam Sandler at least had unique characters and a [s]few[/s] couple of good movies (Punch Drunk Love, Big Daddy, can you think of even one other?). David Spade at least made a character about himself as the gay snarky guy and that's worked for a couple of things past SNL.

Pete Davidson is always a smirking gawking version of himself, so called making fun of himself while he sorta brags about the famous women he dates for a month or two before they get tired of him leeching off their fame and dump his stoned ass.

I'll give King of Staten Island a chance next time I'm drinking and vaping heavily for one reason only - Bill Burr, my absolute favorite cynical angry comedian right now.

BTW, ATTN: SYSOP - strikethrough doesn't seem to be working in this current implementation of PHBB3

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 amhe lost his firefighting father during 9/11
Oh man, I wish he could have let us know about it before this, like perhaps mentioning it in every single joke or interview he's ever done.

He makes me nauseous. I agree with CO.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:49 pmcouple of good movies (Punch Drunk Love, Big Daddy, can you think of even one other?)
He was very good in Funny People, but astounding in Uncut Gems.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The only reason he didn't win a Best Actor Oscar for Uncut Gems is because his name is Adam Sandler.

I'm telling you, I think he's wildly overrated as a comedian, but one of the best actors of the generation, whenever he's given the opportunity to "act" instead of do his stupid Adam Sandler shit.

But let's get back to talking about what an unfunny douche Pete Davidson is.

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:00 pm I'm telling you, I think he's wildly overrated as a comedian, but one of the best actors of the generation, whenever he's given the opportunity to "act" instead of do his stupid Adam Sandler shit.
I actually agree 100%. Punch Drunk love he almost made me cry for him.

Hey, Pete Davidson, you're "apparently" a hot comedian and actor who dates hot actresses. Why do you have bullshit 1UP game macines in your MOM's basement? I should join Twitter and send to him but I hate that platform.

Casual Observer

ok, I tweeted him. Had a 4 year old account never used, first tweet ever, don't care if he responds it felt good.

I don't care if he answers. He's a douche, and then he also fronts as a successful actor/comedian and now arcade guy while showing cheap emulators in his basement. Fuck him.