McMillions

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

McMillions

Post by Flack »

Not sure if anyone else is watching this HBO mini-series... episodes air on Mondays, and today was episode 3 of 6.

From Wikipedia: "McMillions examines the $24 million worth of fraud that corrupted the McDonald’s Monopoly game between 1989 and 2001, in which there were almost no legitimate million dollar winners in the contest."

I had no idea.

It's one of the most exciting and gripping documentaries I've watched in a long, long time!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: McMillions

Post by Casual Observer »

I remember not winning anything. I think Safeway's game has the same problem.

pinback

Post by pinback »

We are watching this, and we (Kathy and I) had the same reaction! "Who knew any of this was going on?!"

I mean, the Monopoly game was just always there, and who ever thought more than two seconds about it? Now to find out years later it was all rigged? Why didn't any of us already know about that? Why wasn't this huge news?

Part of me really wants the entire documentary to be, itself, a scam -- much of the first couple episodes is about the FBI setting up a fake production company to shoot fake interviews to incriminate suspects. What if the documentary itself was a fake!! The main FBI guy they interview is such a goofball, and so much fun to watch, that if it turns out he was an actor, I wouldn't be surprised!

But no, it's certainly real, and I can't believe this is the first we're hearing about it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 am Why didn't any of us already know about that? Why wasn't this huge news?
We're halfway through the series so I don't want to spoil it for you, but here's a pretty big hint.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

All right, you have all convinced me to get it. I had heard that scams were present but not that the whole goddamn thing is a scam.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 amI had heard that scams were present but not that the whole goddamn thing is a scam.
Well, not the whole thing. I knew a guy who won some french fries playing that game.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I remember reading about it when it was first exposed as a scam! I still want to watch this though because all I recall is was that the big money is never given to a random McDonalds customer playing the game. Instead, it was basically "given to themselves".
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻