Revenge of the Nerds III and IV

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Revenge of the Nerds III and IV

Post by Flack »

Most people have seen or at least heard of Revenge of the Nerds and its less popular sequel, Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise, but only those who dare venture into the deepest depths of Walmart's bargain bins know two more RotN films were made.

Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation (1992)

After part II failed miserably at the box office (I personally liked it), Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation (1992) was released five years later as a television movie. In Part III, the nerdy Tri-Lambs have become not only respectable, but the most popular fraternity of Adams College. This changes when a business man (Morton Downey, Jr.) joins the college's board of directors. Downey recruits former Alpha Beta Stan Gable (who is working as a motorcycle cop) as the college's new dean, and the two of them set out to tear down what the nerds have built.

The next generation of nerds consist of a Korean Elvis impersonator, a fat guy with a British accent who wears kilts, a rando black guy, and Harold and Ira. Harold is the nephew of Lewis Skolnick, who ultimately married Betty (Stan's girlfriend) from the first film, grew his hair out, and now asks to be called "Lew." Stan, who says his life was ruined after being publicly humiliated by the nerds at the end of the first film, pretends to be Lew's friend in hopes of breaking up his marriage and winning Betty back.

A lot of kooky stuff happens and all the nerds are arrested. They are eventually bailed out by Lew, who is subsequently arrested and falsely accused with embezzling funds from the college. With assistance from Booger, who is now an attorney, the new nerds are joined by several of the original nerds (Lamar, Takashi, Wormser, and Gilbert*) to defend their friend. In the end, Lew -- back to Louis -- is exonerated, Morton Downey, Jr. is outed, and Stan -- once the star of the football team and the most popular Alpha Beta of all time -- finally discovers his inner nerd.

(*Anthony Edwards was filming E.R. at the time, so Gilbert is played by an overweight guy with a bad mullet wig in a miscasting to blatant that I can only assume they did it to insult Edwards.)

It's really hard to convey just how terrible this movie was. It's not even that good for a TV movie. The acting is pretty bad, its obvious there's no budget, and none of the new nerds are remotely memorable. Being a tv movie, there's no sex, nudity, cussing, or any of the stuff that appeared in the first two films. There's also very little comedy. A running joke is that Lew now tries to supress his iconic nerd laugh, and runs out of the room every time it comes out. There are a couple of songs put in to stretch the time. It's really dreadful, but not as bad as...

Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love (1994)

In Part IV, we find Booger engaged to his girlfriend (and former Omega Mu member) Jeannie. Jeannie's family is "nouveau riche" (they use this term 10+ times in the movie) and her father, a wealthy Republican, will do everything he can to stop the wedding. It's the nerdy version of My Big fat Greek Wedding, with all the humor of a loaded gyro. We get to see a karaoke party, a dance party, and a bridal shower that ends in a pie fight. In the background, the bride-to-be's father has hired a private investigator to sabotage the wedding. When the PI discovers that Booger had an illegitimate daughter twelve years ago it seems like the wedding is off, but somehow (I forget) they disprove it and the wedding goes on. All the rich people get divorced and the nerds get married. Louis and Betty have their first child, and Booger and his new wife adopt the orphan girl that the lawyer hired to be Booger's offspring.

Part IV again sees Louis, Booger, Takashi, and Lamar, along with Harold and maybe one or two of the new nerds from Part III. Ogre is back, Stan appears (but is "sick with chicken pox" and doesn't appear with anyone else), and I think that's it. There's no Gilbert or Wormser or Poindexter. Some nerds move on I guess.

This movie barely feels like a movie. It's so bad it makes Part III look better. There's not even a b-plot, which most sitcoms have. I didn't laugh a single time. The humor has been toned down so far that Booger's shirt "Who Farted?" has been replaced with one that says "Who Pooted?" It is rumored that this film was supposed to be a pilot for a new show starring Booger and his new family, but if you can barely stay awake during the pilot... well, that explains why they didn't make the show.

According to what I found online, the original airing of Part IV included scenes in 3D and a "scratch and sniff" card you could get from 7-11. The cards and glasses were available for 35 cents from 7-11, and I would have been so mad to spend 35 more cents on this movie.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Revenge of the Nerds III and IV

Post by Casual Observer »

I had no idea there was a 3 and 4, I'll have to check them out next time I have a couple of hours free on my computer. I enjoyed RotN 2 as well, one of the funniest scenes was when Ogre pissed for a ridiculously long time:

Flack

Post by Flack »

As a teen, I used to stay up really late during summer vacation (like 3 or 4 a.m.) and would always win movie tickets on the radio (makes sense that fewer people call in then). I won 4 tickets to go see RotN II, and took my whole family. Some of the people who came to the premiere came in costume, which I thought was really funny. I was too young to get some of the jokes, but I do remember being uncomfortable during that whole "HOT__ _ORAL __SEX" bit while sitting next to my mom.

In the PS3 game "Pain," there's a Hotel Coral Essex with letters you can knock off. There's also a billboard for "Moonriver Proctology." Who doesn't love a good Fletch joke?

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:47 am In the PS3 game...There's also a billboard for "Moonriver Proctology." Who doesn't love a good Fletch joke?
Grand Theft Auto 3 has a building next to Ammunation that mentions they are engaged in "fudgepacking."

I thought that video you posted and thoght it was hilarious. Here's one that is also funny, which I refer to as the "Cop Killer Video."

Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.