Luther

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC

Luther

Post by RealNC »

Just finished watching all five seasons of Luther. Great show. It's not Breaking Bad or The Wire or anything, but still great. Except season 5.

It is something we've seen before: a cop (or rather copper, it's in London) who doesn't always follow the rules and tries to juggle several things at once, trying to cover up things that went wrong. And it also has the usual tropes one sees in crime series, like things that pan out exactly wrong and implausible enough as to get the protagonist into trouble. But it is well done and well acted. Except season 5 where they casted an incompetent actor in an important role. The kind of actor who thinks that "acting" is just tilting and/or shaking your head. Constantly. But it wasn't enough to ruin it. Still great show.

The villains are always psychopaths of the sort you usually only see in slasher movies. The protagonist is also not exactly right in the head either. Over the course of the series, he develops a relationship with one of the psychopaths he wasn't able to send to jail for murdering her parents. She lacks empathy, killed her parents because she just felt like it, was a child prodigy and is extremely intelligent.

8 out 10. Go watch it. I'm not sure if season 5 is the final one though. The ending didn't feel like a true ending.

RealNC

Re: Luther

Post by RealNC »

And forgot to mention: it's short. This isn't the kind of series that goes on and on and on. It's just 20 episodes total.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

And here's two spoiler-free scenes that give a general idea of what to expect before you go in.

This is how the protagonist gathers a DNA sample from a suspect:

Part of the show is like the above. The other part consists of stuff like this:

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This was on my list, but if it gets the RealNC REAL of approval, then I am going to make some time for it!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!