Review: Star Trek II with Shatner Interview

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Review: Star Trek II with Shatner Interview

Post by Casual Observer »

So I flew back to hometown Rochester Ny for a day to benefit my trekkie parents by joining them for a screening of a "vintage" 35mm screening of Star Trek II followed by a "question/answer" with Shatner himself. Had a decent morning playing real old arcade games at the Museum of Play and then lunch at Chen's Garden (mmmmm). Movie was good, Kodak Theater was nice, they screwed up the film can switch and the sound a few times but that's fun and different.

After 1/2 the credits, Shatner came out along with Rochester movie critic, Jack Gardner for an interview driven by questions submitted in person or by tweet. Worst part was Shatner being completely forgetful, forgetting what story he's telling, and depending on the audience for details like who directed Star Trek 1 and other facts he forgot. Best part was when Gardner turned the audience firmly against him by saying that "garbage plates" sound awful and he "generally prefers Buffalo's food".

AArdvark

Re: Review: Star Trek II with Shatner Interview

Post by AArdvark »

I didn't even hear about this. Shows what rock I live under most of the time. Were there any questions that Shatner hadn't been asked thousands of times already?

THE
DID YOU KILL YOUR WIFE?
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm I didn't even hear about this. Shows what rock I live under most of the time. Were there any questions that Shatner hadn't been asked thousands of times already?

THE
DID YOU KILL YOUR WIFE?
AARDVARK
That was the disappointing thing, he fit his "canned" answers to questions that didn't quite fit. Like: the question was "do you have any funny stories from the making of star trek 2?" and his answer was a story about him filming the original series and repeatedly getting stopped for speeding on the road from LA to the film location. He said something about DeForest Kelly starting to worry about dementia that doesn't seem to be supported by public articles so that's something new. He really doesn't like Sulu, he made that clear. He tried really hard to link Kodak's film with the movie we watched and he gave some interesting insights to filming process. He told a story about him doing practical jokes on set that was fun.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

In a book from the 1960s it mentioned how when Shatner was starting out he survived on Kresge's cheap fruit salad plate from the restaurant in their Montreal store (Shatner was born in Montreal), and as a result, hates fruit salad or even the mention of it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

He's almost 90, I think we can spot him a little sympathy.

Fucking Gardner came out and dissed garbage plates? That man looks like he's eaten plenty of garbage plates.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!