Shows, movies, and songs I can't handle anymore

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

Shows, movies, and songs I can't handle anymore

Post by RetroRomper »

Anxiety in a number of non-trivial senses runs my life, as it is an overbearing constant set of emotions that is habitually there, stopping me from "GETTING SHIT DONE." But there are a few very personal instances where I'm, sigh, TRIGGERED by something: these songs, movies, and shows are associated with regret, doubt, longing, and the knowledge that maybe things will never be as good as they once were.

SO. SOOOOO. In the name of clearing my own personal air and moving on, I'm going to catalogue in this thread a bunch of media, nay, confront a bunch of media, that I really can't enjoy because of a constellation of emotions.

LET THE HEALING BEGIN.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Re: Shows, movies, and songs I can't handle anymore

Post by RetroRomper »

I've actually been inside one of the painted ladies while I was in Berkeley and the view was.... Remarkable for such a narrow avenue. But after having moved away from the city in somewhat adverse circumstances, even thinking about anything associated with it hurts. Ya, man up and get over it, but were dealing with acute mental illness here! Anyway, the fact I'll probably never live in San Francisco or the surrounding area again stings and I tend to avoid any media that depicts it one way or the other.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Arguably some of the worst of the current crop, current round of evolution that is pop music, Magic Man: Before the Waves is associated with a very specific episode where I made out with a lesbian. We were both heavily intoxicated and I'm still not sure of her side of the story (except she still talked with me afterwards) and well... I apologized and I've never given a more heart felt, sincere apology in my life. It was weird, but I was in love and couldn't shake the song for a few weeks afterward. Now listening to it, I just feel burnt out and miserable, longing for people and times of my life that I'll never have the opportunity to interact with again.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Don't apologize for making out with people. Let them apologize to you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm Don't apologize for making out with people. Let them apologize to you.
This doesn't sound like "making out" to me...not interested in men...heavily intoxicated...

#metoo

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This one is just too sad for me to listen to:

Yet, there is this one, a wonderfully cheerful song about a man who wants to climb to the top of a tower to throw himself off if he can't stop being sad because his fiancee left him at the altar:
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This thread was more for and about Retro, actually.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am This one is just too sad for me to listen to:
The audio cuts in and out of that video multiple times.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I don't think apologizing was needed. It's probably that she let you apologize because she felt that *you* needed to.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

She said it helped and I tend to think that crossing that boundary then acknowledging what I did at least soothed over the wound. Honestly, I wasn't really privy nor did I ask her thought process: part of me wishes that I did, another part is happy I respected her privacy and didn't push.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Seeing an underdeveloped San Francisco really pulled at my heart strings, then (at the time) living in the reality of $1,000+ studio apartments and $3.5k single bedroom apartments threw a wretch into appreciating the majesty of the old broad. Then watching either Birdman or Escape from Alcatraz really made the anxiety build up and pull on my heartstrings to an extent that I can't really handle it. Just file it under another classic film that I won't be able to watch.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am This one is just too sad for me to listen to:
--------------
Yet, there is this one, a wonderfully cheerful song about a man who wants to climb to the top of a tower to throw himself off if he can't stop being sad because his fiancee left him at the altar:
Feel free to post, but what is a bit of media that summons PERSONAL, ANXIETY, FEAR, or GUILT ridden feelings that you can't watch or make it all the way through?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Growing up with a single mother and visitation with my dad until he left when I was seven, really messed me up: I've started to realize that I needed a father figure and what I had was lacking. Seeing this video for the first time maybe over two decades ago made me cry, specifically at:
Sometimes you would send me a birthday card
With a five dollar bill
I never understood you then
And I guess I never will
Listening to it now reminds me of scenes of being given excessive toys, boxes of candy, and other cheap little doodads that were only accessible to me while visiting him once every two weeks. I've never actually finished the song since first hearing and probably never will.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I can't handle anything by Everclear either, RR.

Because it fucking sucks.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am I can't handle anything by Everclear either, RR.

Same here. Bleagh! Let's all agree to simply drink Everclear than listen to Everclear.

I'm in... are you?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am I can't handle anything by Everclear either, RR.

I agree that getting smashed on Everclear is (as CGG pointed out,) preferable to listening to them.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM