Rick & Morty

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Rick & Morty

Post by pinback »

Everyone says this is great. Everyone tells me this is great. Everyone is wearing T-shirts and doing memes and it's like totally the best thing ever.

Watched it a couple times. Never came close to 1) laughing, or 2) understanding why everyone thinks it's so great.

What am I missing? It seems like another case of (and I'm not thinking of any particular show in particular here, particularly) fast-and-loud talking being mistaken for comedy.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Re: Rick & Morty

Post by RealNC »

+1

I tried to watch it too. I think it's nonsense. And I'm not sure whether I get the jokes and I just don't find them funny, or if they fly past me and thus am missing the actual humor.

Nah, it's just nonsense.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

pinback wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 pm
What am I missing? It seems like another case of (and I'm not thinking of any particular show in particular here, particularly) fast-and-loud talking being mistaken for comedy.
it's funny because it's ridiculous, like a cartoon Monty python with lots of pop culture references but not stupid cutaways like family guy. Not every episode is hilarious, try the meeseks episode or look who is purging now or the one with Stephen Colbert as a start. Maybe I'm an old cynical bastard but I get a huge kick out of Ricks sarcastic cynicism, derision, selfishness and drunkenness.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So, the audience for it is going to turn you off, absolutely They had a reference to Szeuen sauce or however it is spelled and... holy shit, the internet could not handle it. Ditto for fucking Pickle Rick. After wondering on a week to week basis if Community was going to be canceled, I am glad that Dan Harmon has a show that is now hugely popular among everyone, dumb fucks included, instead of just smart people like with Community. He deserves it.

It's a close-up view of souls in torment, and I am surprised you do not enjoy it as such, Pinback. I think it is an example of not liking something that others recommend. As a soul in torment, I would think that you would find a lot here for you.

Also, the real pleasure is that this is a story of a kid turning into his father (figure), watching Morty grow up to take on Rick's qualities is not something I think any other sit com has ever attempted. And this is in a cartoon where it's fair game for nobody to ever evolve. Eat my shorts, right?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Is this funny? See, to me, it's a guy yelling loud and fast and hoping that someone will mistake it for comedy:

I hate that shit.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah. Taking the final scene of the second season completely without context and dumping it onto the backend assend of the Internet's set of forums and keening, "I AM NOT AMUSED" is probably not how TV should be watched. A clip of Andrea getting shot in the head in Granite State was probably not that interesting either if the first episode of Breaking Bad that you watched was Season 5 episode 15.

You want to hate it. You revel in it. Nikos I can excuse - if there's one thing we can say about Greek mythology, it's that sons got along well with their fathers. He doesn't have a frame of reference for this. But you? YOU? I would think you'd be all into this.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Please point me to a funny one, and I will watch it.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I watched that clip with the sound off, as I always do with youtube. It looked like Back To The Future, with Doc Brown on meth.

How close was I?

THE
SILENT MOVIE
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm Please point me to a funny one, and I will watch it.
Sure, start at the beginning and watch every episode. There are like 12 a season. They are on season 3.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay, I will watch every episode. Wait here.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

pinback wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm Please point me to a funny one, and I will watch it.
s01e05
s01e07

Casual Observer

Casual Observer wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am
s01e05
s01e07
s01e11

Ice Cream Jonsey

I know you mean well, Casual Observer, but Pinner does this thing where he hates something and then if you try to give him an objectively funny example of what he hates, he will find the one scene where voices are raised slightly and make fart face at it.

I think there has only ever been one exception. Pinback. Pinner. BEN. The one scene where Charlie forgot to put a tape in. That scene is OK with you, right? Did we establish that?

We want to love you, Pinner. Why won't you let us?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I saw a guy at work wearing a Rick and Morty t-shirt so I asked him about the show. He said it was like 'a dark Back To The Future' dynamic. So I guess I was close with the doc brown reference. Still waiting for teh funny.

THE
WAITING FOR
GODOT
AARDVARK