Twin Peaks

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Twin Peaks

Post by Flack »

In this thread I will answer your questions about Twin Peaks, including the new season which, spoiler, there are no answers for.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

What went wrong? Was it a case of Lynch just trying to throw as much weird stuff together as possible, and forgetting to include a story? Trying too hard to prove that he could still be "Lynchian"?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's my theory: it's a perfectly coordinated train wreck.

In 1990, Twin Peaks aired against The Flash, Beverly Hills 90210, Cheers, and Seinfeld. It was completely different from anything else on television, and was hailed for being wildly original. But what was original and unique in 1990 is now common on television today. The cinematography and atmosphere of the original Twin Peaks was amazing, but is it any more amazing than Breaking Bad was? The drawn-out and confusing narrative was done by Lost (as were the "random numbers" which keep appearing in the Twin Peaks reboot). The original two seasons of Twin Peaks broke new ground, but it's not new anymore.

I believe David Lynch has enough material for about 3-4 hours and is dragging this nonsense out into 18 episodes, because it wouldn't be worth all the time and money invested for only 3-4 episodes. Lynch's only checks and balances are most likely coming from Mark Frost (and not Showtime) so every single idea that pops into his head is getting filmed. Random ideas, characters, and dead ends that would get cut from any other production are being included here (in hiiiiigh definition). There are so many characters and short conversations and scenes that it's hard to know what's important and what isn't. We're only six episodes in and there are already entire episodes that don't move the plot forward. Lynch has taken Chekhov's gun off the mantle and shot us all in the head with it.

I think Lynch and Frost are pushing the envelope to see how far they can push a non-linear, non-plot-driven, non-coherent story along, and seeing how long people will chase that worm. I think he has an unlimited budget and carte blanche on the narrative and editing. The original Twin Peaks was so groundbreaking and legendary that no matter how bad this new season is it'll be viewed as "art," which is what I think we're seeing.

It has been a long time since I simply gave up on watching a television show, but I'm getting a little closer with each new episode.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I'm only about 5 episodes in but really digging it so far. Though I must say it's yet to creep me out since the 1st episode (that was some creepy shit!).

I must also agree that this:
We're only six episodes in and there are already entire episodes that don't move the plot forward.
is unacceptable for any television series. I don't have time for that shit!

I'll check back in on this thread after I've watched a few more shows..

Tdarcos

Re: Twin Peaks

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:In this thread I will answer your questions about Twin Peaks,
How good is the coffee?
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

"Squeeze his hand off!"

OHSHITWTFWTFFFFF

Flack

Post by Flack »

I guess the irony there is that it was the Arm telling Dougie to squeeze his hand off.

I am at the point where I am watching the episodes but not really enjoying them.

CinePhil

Post by CinePhil »

What do you think about the idea that Lynch is making an 18 hour movie instead of an actual series?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well, it's ridiculous.

If you're looking for linear or even semi-lucid storytelling, this is not the series for you. 20 minutes of last night's episode took place inside a nuclear explosion. It's all weird and abstract. You can sum up each 60 minute episode in two or three paragraphs because things like "scene inside a nuclear explosion" takes five minutes on screen.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah a lot of that just seemed to drag on like a Space Odyssey sequence. Looked cool and all but more story progression would have been nice.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack are you still sticking with Twin Peaks? The last 2 episodes were really enjoyable, I thought.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

What was the most enjoyable thing about them?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Dude that HAD to have been Russian mafia getting justice with an uzi ranked pretty high up there!

Mention of other events may spoil things so I'll refrain.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻