The Young Pope

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Young Pope

Post by pinback »

I tried bringing this up at the other site which Robb is posting ads for now, but of course was immediately told it sucked and my taste is terrible, because that's what they do there, so let's try it here.

Anyone watching The Young Pope on HBO? With Jude Law?

omg its like my new favorite thing ever
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Ain't seen it. What's got you so hooked on TYP?

pinback

Post by pinback »

1. This is Jude Law's finest hour. It's analogous to McConaughey in True Detective. A dopey mid-level actor that nabs the absolute perfect role and is magnificent in it.

2. It's all terribly surreal and absurd, and I like that. Not a comedy, but severely off-kilter and constantly fascinating.

3. Good music.

4. Diane Keaton.

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Being raised Catholic fucks you up. This show is delightfully fucked up.

SEVEN PAPAL TIARAS UP.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, it finished up this last Monday, and I guess none of you losers (other than Bugs) watched it. YOUR LOSS, bros.

(Unless you watch them now, or at any time in the future.)

If you should choose to rectify this error and GET UP ON THERE, you've got 10 hours of the best TV you'll ever see comin' atchya. And I, personally, will toast my Cherry Coke Zero(*) in your direction.

(*) The only choice for Pope Pius XIII!

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I'm still not entirely clear what I was watching, but I know I liked it.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Jeremy Irons is the only 'Pop auv Roam' for me.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Bugs wrote:I'm still not entirely clear what I was watching, but I know I liked it.
This is the correct reaction.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I guess its a reflection of our times, but I found the Young Pope to be... Kinda Trump like in these promises, these constant shake ups to just rattle the people around them without fully acknowledging the fact that to keep to traditions in a few ways keeps things stable: Jude Law much like Trump and even the current breed of Republicans, want to rattle things, shake them up, and make their mark not through diligence, persuasion, and stability but through shock and awe.

I've seen the current breed of politician as the end of the statesmen, as the understanding, patient, long term wise man that keeps things stable based on what has been, but steers them to what they should be.

Maybe its more my current loss of faith in the system, but seeing Jude Law purposely rattle and shake, break down, and readjust the positions of power around him makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable as it appears to be a reflection of the world we are currently living in.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM