OKC Thunder [2012-2013]

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I felt that all the other fans must have known something I didn't, or they were just easily-led assholes. They hated Westbrook. I'm pretty sure he's never done jack shit to the Nuggets or Denver or anyone else.

The Happiness Engine, the color of tuxedo you picked out was exactly correct. I thought that maybe the guy in blue spandex was a colorblind Green Man, but maybe he was just an asshole.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:17 pm

I watched two Thunder games while I was in Dallas last week. After losing to the Nuggets we've won the past five games: the Clippers, the Lakers, the Knicks, the Bobcats, and today, the Celtics. So, good times. I believe the Thunder is ranked second in the west behind the Spurs.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 am

Well unfortunately the Oklahoma City Thunder did not finish with the best record in the west. That honor went to OH WAIT THEY DID! THEY /DID/ FINISH WITH THE BEST RECORD IN THE WEST! WOO HOO!

In round one of the playoffs, YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder are taking on the 8th seeded Houston Rockets. If you'll recall from last year, Houston is where James "Weird Beard" Hardin went. In theory this would be the time in which Hardin would show the world that he made a good decision but instead the Thunder gave the Rockets a butt pounding in game one and were up by 30 before we sent in the second and third string. I fully anticipate the Thunder schooling the Rockets and Hardin in particular. This year, we will not fear the beard.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Welp, we had a good run.

The Thunder were 2-0 against the Houston Rockets when a weird-ass dirty play by the Rockets caused Beverly to bang knees with Russel Westbrook. Westbrook went out of the game and never returned to 100%. Two days later it was announced that Westbrook needed surgery to repair a torn ligament and would be out for the duration of the playoffs.

In game three against the Rockets, the Thunder were up by 26 in the first half before the Rockets remembered that Westbrook was out. Once they remembered that, they turned up the heat, caught up, and actually led the game at once point early in the fourth.

With 8 seconds left the Thunder hit two free throws that led to a three point win, 104-101, Thunder. That being said, the Thunder looked terrible. Westbrook is a loose cannon occasionally when it comes to shooting -- he's also the voice of the team, the morale, and the spirit. Durant scored 41 points. He can't do that every night.

No team has ever come back from a 0-3 deficit in the playoffs, meaning that the Rockets are essentially out in the first round. That'll put the Thunder up against either the Clippers or the Grizzlies, neither of which I think we can win without Westbrook.

So, yeah. We won, but we won't have enough of a team to go all the way this year.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun May 05, 2013 7:36 am

When your bad ass big man gets T'ed up in the first quarter and shit gets hot, what do you do? You drop and give 'em 20, which is exactly what Perkins did in game six against the Houston Rockets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYSJ8Rwy6Fk[/youtube]

Despite multiple technicals (Durant got another one), the Thunder managed to fire the Rockets in six. Round two begins today in OKC against the Memphis Grizzlies. If you like hockey then you should watch this series because it's guaranteed to have almost as many fights.[/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 am

Flack wrote:Despite multiple technicals (Durant got another one),
That's another thing. I'm not really up on basketball and my mother mostly watched football (which I'm also not really familiar with but I catch some things), but allows a lot worse behavior, I'm sure some of the things legal in football would probably not just get you thrown out of a basketball game, but possibly banned from basketball for life.

You mention "technicals," in which I presume you mean "technical foul," and I am curious, what's the difference, if any, between a straight foul (like one player pushing on another, I presume) and a technical foul?
"I might only have one match / But I can make an explosion."
- Rachel Platten, Fight Song

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Flack wrote:Despite multiple technicals (Durant got another one),
That's another thing. I'm not really up on basketball and my mother mostly watched football (which I'm also not really familiar with but I catch some things), but allows a lot worse behavior, I'm sure some of the things legal in football would probably not just get you thrown out of a basketball game, but possibly banned from basketball for life.

You mention "technicals," in which I presume you mean "technical foul," and I am curious, what's the difference, if any, between a straight foul (like one player pushing on another, I presume) and a technical foul?
Straight: hitting a guy's arm while he's in the act of shooting.

Technical: calling the ref a maggot.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 am

Tdarcos wrote:That's another thing. I'm not really up on basketball and my mother mostly watched football (which I'm also not really familiar with but I catch some things), but allows a lot worse behavior, I'm sure some of the things legal in football would probably not just get you thrown out of a basketball game, but possibly banned from basketball for life.
That is true. Different sports have different rules. What is allowed in football is not allowed in basketball. What is allowed in basketball is not allowed in tennis. What is allowed in tennis is not allowed in synchronized swimming.
Tdarcos wrote:You mention "technicals," in which I presume you mean "technical foul," and I am curious, what's the difference, if any, between a straight foul (like one player pushing on another, I presume) and a technical foul?
Why do you only use Wikipedia for evil and not good? It's like your whole life was leading up to this one moment and you dropped the ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_foul

Quinn Z. DeAngelo

Post by Quinn Z. DeAngelo » Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 am

Flack wrote:Why do you only use Wikipedia for evil and not good? It's like your whole life was leading up to this one moment and you dropped the ball.
Hey fella, I thought the idea was you're supposed to drop the ball in basketball, won't you get nicked for "traveling" if you actually held onto the ball and ran with it?

Yeah I got it right, unlike ol' Ironside there, I don't mind usin' the Wik if it helps me to figure out something. You take more than 3 steps and the ref nails your ass for travelin' and not dribbling along the way. Nails you for not dribbling the ball, that is, there's no penalty if your ass don't dribble.

But I'm kinda interested in one thing. Why are you so interested in the basketball team from Timothy McVeigh's boom town, what makes this one so much more important than the basketball teams from other cities around this great nation of ours? Just home-town snobbishness or you gots a better reason?

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 am

BTW, Paul, when Robb wakes up and sees this, you're getting an IP ban.

Goodbye, old friend.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat May 11, 2013 5:38 pm

A few minutes ago the Thunder dropped to 1-2 against the Memphis Grizzlies, splitting the first two games at home and losing the first game in Memphis.

In 2011, it took the Thunder all seven games (4-3) to beat the Grizzlies. And that was when we had Harden (who we traded) and Westbrook (who is out for the year). I'm sure the Thunder will pull out at least one more win in the series (it's hard not to when when you have a guy that scores 30 to 40 points in playoff games) but the odds of being able to do it in 3 of the next 5 games seems pretty slim.

The series to watch right now is Miami/Chicago. I think Chicago had 6 technicals (yes, FOULS, Paul) and shoving "King" LeBron James to the court is never a good move in the ref's eyes.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 pm

With the Pacers doing good again I might have to get back into this crap. MY PACERS ARE TAKING IT ALL!!! Who plays for the Pacers anyway?

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun May 12, 2013 3:05 pm

The Pacers only have two players that have been in the league for more than five years (Danny Granger and David West, and Granger is hurt), so the answer to your question is most likely, "nobody you've heard of," unless you're a big Paul George fan.

The worst part about the Thunder right now is that everybody can see what's wrong and nobody can do anything about it. Durant is phenom, there's no doubt about it, but it was the 1-2 punch of he and Westbrook offered that led to wins. Westbrook reminds me of those players that don't make it past the age of 30 because he is always getting knocked to the floor. His body will be wrecked in five years. Anyway, the whole Thunder's offense revolves (revolved) around having two guys that could both shoot from outside, inside, and drive the ball. You can't double team two guys all the time, and since both could penetrate it opened up the outside for Fisher and Ibaka to drop threes. And when defenses caught on or if something wasn't working, we'd pull Westbrook and swap in Harden.

With no Harden, you've got a team like Mike Tyson that says, "I'm gonna hit 'ya" and you know it's coming and maybe you can stop it and maybe you can't, but there's no element of surprise. There's no "second look" on the offense. And now with Westbrook out, every defense is just double teaming Durant. And since he can't drive, there are no open outside shooters. Durant can score 30 points game after game but if nobody else can score then what's the point?

If by some miracle -- and by miracle I mean we need one, maybe two season-ending injuries on the Grizzlies -- that'll put us in the Western conference against the Spurs (the Spurs will beat Golden State, no question) and the Spurs will disassemble the Thunder to an embarrassing level. Our only answer to the Spurs last year was Harden.

You would think after being a Bears fan my entire life I would be used to disappointment and pain.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 am

I am so sick of the Spurs. I haven't even watched much for a couple of years and I'm still sooooo sick of the Spurs. There's no reason they should still be winning. Tim Duncan is 92. Manu Ginobli is 78. Tony Parker is 57.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Here is what I am sick of. Listening to AM radio out here. Someone said, "WOW DAVID STERN'S WORST NIGHTMARE WOULD BE MEMPHIS / INDIANA GOOOOOOOOOOO." I hate that SO MUCH. I really really hate that.

First off, yes, it is correct. Stern wouldn't let Sacremento go to the finals one single time.

But secondly, I can't stand this discussion because it goes nowhere. You know what would be worse for the league? Knowing that the league was fixed and that no small market team could ever make it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm

I never understood the desire to watch the same 4 or 5 times play over and over and over again. That's what turns me off. Indiana vs Memphis would be exciting and make me tune in because it's different. San Antonio vs Miami? I could not care less to see either one of those teams ever play again. New England in the Superbowl again? SNORE. Yankees vs The Red Sox?? Shoot me.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:HFirst off, yes, it is correct. Stern wouldn't let Sacremento go to the finals one single time.
They'll be in the playoffs after they move to Seattle and get to play OKC. It's a natural rivalry 5 years in the making and a ratings dream.

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 am

With a 17 point lead in the 2nd quarter I was hoping this morning I'd be able to post a "Thunder Redemption" post. The Thunder looked great last night, coming out of the hole with a 7-0 lead and (like I said) going in to the half with a 17 point lead. Then at half time in the locker room either someone tapped the Thunder Keg early or broke out the wacky tobaccy or whatever kids are calling it these days and, Jesus, I've never seen a team self destruct like that. Memphis would score 5, Thunder time out. Memphis would score another 5, another Thunder time out. Soon it was tied, and a one point difference led to a dozen or so lead changes down the stretch. In the final seconds of the game, Durant hit a roll-around layup that tied the game, and Randolph missed a game winning bucket on the other end to take the lead. 94 all, we're going to overtime.

If the Thunder were stoned in the second half on weed they must've hit the heroin before OT started. You can't go the first 3 minutes of a 5 minute OT and not score, which is exactly what the Thunder's dumb ass did. A 3 from the Fish was too little, too late. Durant missed several key shots and, I'm sorry to say, looked tired.

Memphis takes the series to 3-1. The Thunder would have to beat Memphis 3 games in a row to pull out the series; seeing as how Memphis has beat the Thunder the last three games, that doesn't seem likely.

CO

Post by CO » Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am

Flack wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:HFirst off, yes, it is correct. Stern wouldn't let Sacremento go to the finals one single time.
They'll be in the playoffs after they move to Seattle and get to play OKC. It's a natural rivalry 5 years in the making and a ratings dream.
Fat chance of that happening now since the league's relocation committee voted 14-0 not to allow the team to move. The Seattle group has since added another $75M to their offer including $4M cash to each of the team owners so I guess there's still a chance the final vote could go our way. Apparently the fallback option is that the Chris Hanson/Steve Ballmer group would go ahead and buy 20% of the Kings anyway and then sit on it until the league lets them move.

In the meantime, besides lost money for the new ownership group, the person this has the best chance of hurting is:
Mayor "Mike Bikes" McGinn
He thought a back room deal to return the sonics to Seattle would make people forget that he has gone back on every single campaign promise except the one about adding a goddamn bike lane to every single street in the city.

I think most people in Seattle would rather wait another decade to get a team back than let this asshole mayor get credit.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 pm