OKC Thunder [2012-2013]

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 am

The NBA just fined that video a zillion dollars.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 am

LeBron got fined 5,000 dollars for flopping in the last game! How will he ever be able to pay that??

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Last year LeBron made $300 million ... in shoe sales.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... -salesmen/

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Fri May 31, 2013 3:56 pm

I remembered to DVR last night's game. I promise I won't watch the next one.

I looked at the first quarter. It's all tied.
I jumped to the second quarter. It's all tied.
I jumped to the third quarter. It's all tied.
I jumped to the fourth quarter. $%#^@%@%

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 pm

I just got fined for reading your post but still nothing on Wade??!?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I forgot to watch the game tonight.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 am

I like how NBA 2K13 actually has flopping controls.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 pm

THEY FINED ROY HIBBERT 75,000 FOR SAYING NO HOMO????????

Oh yeah, I remember why I stopped watching sports.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:39 pm

You have to be fucking kidding me. That was it? That was it? It's $75,000 to say "no homo"?

Wow. Truly fucking terrible on the part of Stern.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Ha, this piece of shit wanted him suspended for tonight's game:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174612/no ... ert-game-7
If this took place, some would inevitably call it “political correctness run amok.” Nothing energizes some people quite like when their right to dehumanize others is under assault. Then there will be conspiracy theorists who will howl that the NBA took this step because it’s all fixed and the league just wants the ratings boon of LeBron and the Heat in the finals. No doubt that the fan/sportswriter in me will cry out that I’m being denied the game I want to see. But there are kids who kill themselves because of a lifetime of hearing “no homo.” There are others—no doubt Roy Hibbert among them—who think it’s no big deal and say it without realizing their words are weapons.
You... you get to say what you want in this country. I honestly don't believe that most people truly understand that. WORDS ARE WEAPONS!!!!

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:You... you get to say what you want in this country. I honestly don't believe that most people truly understand that.
Yeah and I honestly don't believe that most people truly understand that "you get to say what you want" just means, you can't be thrown in jail for it. You CAN experience repercussions of your speech from privately held companies, like basketball teams or leagues.

I'm not saying whether I think he should be suspended or not because who cares, but you going "first amendment" on this is fucking pathetic and ignorant.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 pm

pinback wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:You... you get to say what you want in this country. I honestly don't believe that most people truly understand that.
Yeah and I honestly don't believe that most people truly understand that "you get to say what you want" just means, you can't be thrown in jail for it. You CAN experience repercussions of your speech from privately held companies, like basketball teams or leagues.

I'm not saying whether I think he should be suspended or not because who cares, but you going "first amendment" on this is fucking pathetic and ignorant.
This short sighted attitude is what really drives me nuts about these stories. We are losing our freedom of speech little by little every single day because people say "it's not the government so it's not a free speech issue" and turn a blind eye to it. Of course it's not the government, THAT is exactly why this is so infuriating and frightening. The government doesn't have to do anything because we're doing it to ourselves. There is no Big Brother, we ARE Big Brother. We've become a nation of Hall Monitors who can't wait to get somebody in trouble.

And PS. LeBron did the exact same thing. He made a no homo joke during a press conference a couple of years ago and nothing happened. He didn't get fined, suspended and NOBODY was offended.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

During tonight's drive between Rochester and Albany, Mason reminded me tonight was "game seven". I told him it was too bad that we couldn't listen to it and then he told me to fire up IHeartRadio on my phone, jack it into the car stereo, and pull up the Sports Animal (a local radio station) who always airs the games. We did all that and it worked flawlessly and I was forced to admit that my 11 year old is smarter than I am.

The only bad thing about listening to a game on the radio is that you can't see the flops. Also I want to go find video of the double ejection that happened at the end of the game because I'm sure it's not as bad as I imagine it was.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

lethargic wrote:This short sighted attitude is what really drives me nuts about these stories. We are losing our freedom of speech little by little every single day because people say "it's not the government so it's not a free speech issue" and turn a blind eye to it. Of course it's not the government, THAT is exactly why this is so infuriating and frightening. The government doesn't have to do anything because we're doing it to ourselves. There is no Big Brother, we ARE Big Brother. We've become a nation of Hall Monitors who can't wait to get somebody in trouble.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Today.

"Stupid goddamn sportswriters try to make stories out of dumb fucking athletes saying stupid shit on camera" == "OUR FREEDOMS ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!!"

Get. A. Life.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 pm

pinback wrote:

I didn't go first amendment! I am saying that you should be able to say what you want and there should be NO consequences or repercussions at all. That is what I am saying. I am saying how the world OUGHT to work. What fucking difference does it make if some guy says something insensitive or not? He should slur so that a child might live? Izzat it?

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 pm

pinback wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Today.

"Stupid goddamn sportswriters try to make stories out of dumb fucking athletes saying stupid shit on camera" == "OUR FREEDOMS ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!!"

Get. A. Life.
And as usual you're not intelligent enough to argue against what was actually said so you make up your own quote to argue against.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 pm

lethargic wrote:
pinback wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Today.

Get. A. Life.
And as usual you're not intelligent enough to argue against what was actually said so you make up your own quote to argue against.
"As usual"!! "As usual".

Admiral!!

Admiral.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I didn't go first amendment! I am saying that you should be able to say what you want and there should be NO consequences or repercussions at all. That is what I am saying. I am saying how the world OUGHT to work. What fucking difference does it make if some guy says something insensitive or not? He should slur so that a child might live? Izzat it?
I have no problem with repercussions. I just don't think it's the NBA's, or any other stupid sports league, to determine those repercussions and to decide when (Hibbert), or when not (James), to use them.

If you look at the Sergio Garcia story, that's the perfect way to handle these things. The PGA did nothing. He was not suspended or fined. But he's going to have a black stain on his career forever. When he walks into a room, *whisper* * whisper* there's that fried chicken guy *whisper* *whisper*. That is REAL repercussions because he REALLY offended people.

This Hibbert thing? He offended NOBODY. Nobody was even talking about it until the NBA made it an issue. But everybody is obsessed with their stupid "zero tolerance" policies that all thought and reason go flying out the window in these situations.

And what I find the most ridiculous about this in sports is that we used to worship and cherish athletes who spoke their mind. We love Joe Namath because he guaranteed a Superbowl victory, yet if Tom Brady did that today he'd get lambasted by the media. We loved when Reggie Miller did the choke sign to Spike Lee, but if Danny Granger did it he'd get suspended. We think Howard Cosell was hilarious when he was calling players "little monkies" but if Marv Albert called a player a monkey, HOLY CRAP. Everybody worships the ground Muhammad Ali walks on but if Floyd Mayweather acts like that he's an ungrateful thug.

Sports used to be great because it was real life comic books with over the top heroes and villains. Amazing personalities on display. We had players we hated and wanted to see lose. We wanted our heroes to defeat the evil villains. We loved watching them just as much as we loved watching the players we actually liked. But today there are no heroes or villains, there's just a bunch of boring guys talking in cliches because they're so afraid of saying the wrong thing. Political correctness has completely removed the great personalities we used to see and cheer for. Now there's nothing to cheer for except who has the best jersey because that's the only way to tell one player from another.

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 am

For me this started with Dikembe Mutombo and his finger-wagging. The NBA asked him to stop and he said no. Then they said he could do it, but only if he looked and gestured toward the crowd, and not toward an opponent, or the opposing bench. What a stupid crock of shit.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Having seen the context, getting fined $75,000 for that is officially a worse NBA moment then when Stern was so aghast at the King making a lone finals appearance that he demanded the games be fixed.