Breaking Bad: The Journey Journal

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

Gooooood I gotta rewatch this show again.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am

Flack, if I started re-pasting your posts here on Caltrops at a rate of one a day, would that be OK? I would be posting "as" Flack, but that is just to give you credit. I want as many people to see these as possible.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 am

S03E13 - "Full Measure"
(Season Finale)

Show opens with Walt bargaining with Gus for his job (and his life). Not only did Walt just kill two drug dealers -- he just killed two of Gus' employees, employees that Gus had a meeting with to "make peace". Walt's only offering is that Jesse's out of the picture. Gus then says he will pick Walt's new partner. Pinkman's out, Gale's back in. There are additional signs not all is well in paradise, including the locks being changed and a new, full-time guard (Victor) overseeing the operation.

We get a brief look into Gale's life. He's a chemist with an attention to detail. He listens to (is that) opera (?), he waters his plants ... he keeps to himself. And, after a meeting with Gus, we learn that he's probably going to be Walt's replacement. Maybe sooner than later.

Mike the Cleaner visits Saul to find Jesse's forwarding address, and Saul gives him a fake one. There have been a couple of Saul exchanges that I thought were unrealistic, and this was one of them. Saul knows what Gus and Mike do, and he knows what they're capable of. There's no one in ABQ that, given the right circumstances, couldn't end up in a shallow grave outside of Pollo City. Saul can't possibly be making enough money off of Jesse to retire; staying in Gus' good graces has to be better for both his pocket book and his health, I would think. Regardless, Saul gives Mike a fake lead for Jesse, something that's sure to come back to haunt him.

Walt realizes he's only being kept alive until Gale knows enough to replace him, and reasons that if Gale were dead, Gus wouldn't be able to off him. But since he's being trailed pretty much 24/7, he'll need Jesse to do it. Walt is not against murder at all -- he's just against it for the wrong reasons. So far he murdered Crazy 8, tried to murder Tuco, didn't-murder-but-didn't-save Jane, indirectly caused a major plane crash, and ran over two drug dealers that were about to attack Jesse. Killing Gale is just adding one more element to his Periodic Table of Death! (Okay, that was cheesy.) But it's got to be Jesse who does the deed. He "owes" Walt.

Before the two of them have time to make plans, Walt is sorta-abducted by Victor and taken to the lab, where Mike is waiting and Walt realizes that he's about to figuratively swim with the desert fishes. At this moment, and man have we seen some good acting by Walt, but at this moment we see a man literally fighting for his life, throwing out anything he can think of. He'll cook for free, he'll do whatever, he'll ... offer up Jesse? After making a phone call, Jesse is informed that he has a 20 minute head start over Mike and Victor. When Walt recites Gale's address, the two know what's up and Victor races off in hopes of intervening.

In the final, riveting (I've used that word a lot) scene of this episode we get to watch Gale plead for his life. "I have money. Lots of money. You don't have to do this," he pleads. A distraught Jesse aims his weapon and pulls the trigger, hitting ... ?

Walt was afraid for his life after running down two street-level drug dealers. Once cannot thing Gus will be pleased with this latest turn of events.

---

Random thought: is Walt's never-ending broken windshields a sign that he "cannot see clearly"?
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Flack, if I started re-pasting your posts here on Caltrops at a rate of one a day, would that be OK? I would be posting "as" Flack, but that is just to give you credit. I want as many people to see these as possible.
Surely!

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:31 am

Episode S04E01 - "Box Cutter"

I found via Google that four episodes in Season Two gave away plot point through their titles: "Seven Thirty-Seven" "Down" "Over" "ABQ". Ever since learning that I've been paying more attention to the show titles. When I hear "Box Cutter" what I think of is the 9/11 attacks.

This episode spent a lot of time building viewers' tension-levels back up to where they were at the end of Season Three. Since I watched them back-to-back via Netflix the pace seemed lumbering compared to the season three finale.

The episode opens with a flashback of Gale setting up Gus' lab and asking Gus to hire Walt (ironically, signing his own death certificate). We also see Gus opening crates using a box cutter. Why would they name an episode after that? Is the name a reference to Gale, who is cutting boxes open? Maybe I missed something.

The first of two "bombs" comes when we find the "card" Walt and Jesse are holding (that they are the only ones who can cook for Gus) is worthless when Victor begins firing up the equipment and throwing in ingredients. The seemingly only thing keeping Jesse and Walt alive is that Gus needs them to cook. And now Victor knows how to cook. Uh oh.

Everything going on at this point is just building tension until Gus' arrival. He arrives and like an evil Mr. Rogers, changes out of his work clothes and into a biohazard suit. Is he going to cook? Is he going to kill Jesse? Walt?

Now he's BOX CUTTER! BOX CUTTER VICTOR! OH JESUS CHRIST! BOX CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Did Gus do that just to show Walt that he could? That he would? Or did he do it because Victor showed up at the crime scene? Seems like a pretty serious punishment, seeing though Jesse and Walt are still breathing.

"Well? Get back to work."

BOX CUTTER JESUS CHRIST!

Before continuing on to new episodes, tonight I'm going to re-read this entire thread just to reflect on how far Jesse and particularly Walt have come ... or fallen.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:44 am

Shit, I forgot "bomb number three" -- the cops are (I assume) about to find Gale's lab notes.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 pm

I went back and re-read this thread. I made a lot of decent assumptions (mostly obvious ones) and was off on a few. If I had it to do over again, I would have written longer summaries of the first three or four episodes. Looking back at them, you can barely tell what the episodes were about.

Kids are in bed. Off to go watch an episode or two.

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

S04E02 - "Thirty-Eight Snub"

I assumed this episode would be about Mike the Cleaner. Mike's an ex-cop, and cops (up until the 90s) used .38 revolvers. Wrong again, Flack-o -- this one was about Walt acquiring a weapon, something I'm not totally against. I've long thought that Jesse and Walt should be packing, considering people they come into contact with on a regular basis. Despite Walt's claims, this untraceable gun isn't for self-defense. Walt plans on killing Gus.

(Walt is delusional at this point. Although he most certainly could, it's doubtful Gus is the one that would actually do the snuffing. Walt is acting like cutting the head off the snake would solve his problems, but how long would it be before Mike or another member one Gus' entourage returned the favor? Things are bigger than any one person at this point. Gus is smart; surely he has someone lined up to either (a) take over or (b) clean up in case of his early demise.)

In the wake of Gale's shooting we find Jesse is having trouble living with himself. (When Jesse is asking Walt to go ride go-karts with him, you know he's desperate.) We already know Jesse tends to deal with his issues by smoking/snorting/shooting (both needles and bullets) them away. Jesse's arc, for the time being, appears to be a downward spiral until he is able to internally deal with the Gale incident. I'll bet his parents would love to see what Jesse's done with the place.

I realize the writers have to do "something" with Hank and Marie, but this side story of Hank collecting rocks (I mean minerals) ... I don't get it. I don't get how he got into it, I don't care about him buying them ... the entire thing doesn't seem interesting to me. As for his relationship with Marie ... Hank's always kind of been a d-bag, but when push came to shove his heart always seemed to be in the right place. The more of a dick he is to Marie, the harder it's becoming to like him. How ironic is it that it's easier to still like Walt and Jesse more, two people that have murdered people?

Near the end of this episode, Walt pitches his "plan" involving Gus to Mike at the local watering hole. Mike gives his response with a massive right cross and a couple of kicks to boot, no pun intended. Regardless of whether it's due to previous favors, his salary, or simply his "morals" (used relatively within the confines of this show), by the time Mike kicks Walt a second time, we can clearly see where his loyalties lie.

I wonder where this power struggle between Skyler and Saul is headed? Saul obviously knows the law better than Skyler does; Skyler, on the other hand, knows bookkeeping and Walt better. It seems like the two of them should team up (Skyler's looking for a job, right?)

Final thought A: Now I know why the pizza Walt threw on the roof didn't split up into pieces ...

Final thought B: The more I listen to Badget and Skinny Pete talk about their theories regarding zombies in video games, the dumber I get.

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 pm

S04E03 - "Open House"

Pre-show thought: is somebody moving?

Show begins with Mike the Cleaner hiding in a refrigerated truck, almost getting plugged by a couple of Cartel members before returning fire and ruining their day. At times I feel like Mike is being set up for a spin-off series. I'd watch that.

As if we needed to be reminded that everyone in the Breaking Bad universe is perpetually full of shit, in this episode we get to see Marie wandering around from open house to open house, spewing random stories and pocketing items she comes across. It's impossible to apply logic to an illogical condition, but what the hell is she doing? Skyler, for her part, wheels and deals the car wash owner down from his asking price for Walt ($20 million) to $800k, a full $79,000 less than her original offer. I did notice Walt's attitude in regards to the bargaining. "What's $79,000?" he says -- oh, how our view of the world has changed, Walter!

The titular "bullet points" come in Skyler's notes she's prepared, covering every possible aspect of Walt's cover-up story about his gambling addiction. I suppose book keepers are known for being meticulous. Skyler is well suited for the job.

Hank ends up talking to a police offer to keep Marie out of jail. In return, the same officer asks for a favor. We knew this was coming, right? Gale's notebook is now in Hank's hands. The biggest question on my mind is, will it say "Walter White" or "Heisenberg"? >:)

At the end of the episode we see Walt is under surveilence. We already sort of knew that (Mike the Cleaner knew the moment Walt showed up outside Gus' house) but we now see another one of Gus' goons sitting outside of Walter's house, watching and waiting.

What does the wanted ad for that position look like? "Now hiring, new right-hand man. I slit the old one's throat to make a point. Must like meth and chicken."

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:57 am

Sometimes when I watch two episodes back-to-back I screw up the reviews the next day. the previously posted one obviously had parts of both "Open House" (where Marie got arrested) and "Bullet Points" (in which Skyler puts together the script for Walt's gambling back story). I actually think what happened is I started watching "Bullet Points" but fell asleep and ran the two episodes together. I re-watched Bullet Points in its entirety last night.

S04E04 - "Bullet Points"

Pre-show thought: I assume somebody is going to make a list with bullet points, and that it may also have to do with a gun's bullets -- maybe the bullet left at Gale's apartment.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the "bullet points" had to do with Skyler's script she prepared for Walt and herself to perform in front of Hank and Marie. At dinner, we learn that Hank is convinced that Gale is Heisenberg, and that as far as he is concerned, the case is closed.

(Hank's big picture role on the show is to cause tension by having a (former?) DEA Agent in Walt's personal space. I do not believe this will last.)

I previously wondered if Gale's notebook was going to contain Walt's name. Apparently it only contained his initials, "To W.W., my perfect star!", which Walter was able to convince Hank actually stood for Walt Whitman.

Concerned that Jesse may have left fingerprints at Gale's home, he visits Jesse at home only to discover the level of squalor Pinkman is living in. Walt presses Jesse for the details of the murder, the one thing Jesse is mentally hiding himself from. Saul later eases Walt's concerns by telling him that if the cops had something on Pinkman, he would already be in custody.

(Thought: is this the same gun that Walt used when he shot the drug dealer? He's very concerned that Jesse may have left behind a bullet casing at the Gale crime scene. Did Walt leave one behind as well?)

As Jesse continues to spiral out of control we see his house has changed from a party house to a crash pad. What a terrible way to stay off the police radar! Jesse ends up shaving his head -- not only does he look more aggressive now, but maybe symbolic of a change in Jesse? Is he becoming more like Walt?

Great Saul line: "Well, you do have a little 'shit creek' action happening here."

When Mike catches a meth head walking out with Jesse's duffle bag full of cash (this guy is everywhere, no?) he catches the guy and returns both the guy and the money to a largely unfazed Jesse. Realizing Jesse "don't care no more," Mike has a meeting with Gus to discuss their options. Gus won't stand having a loose cannon like Jesse working for him. The show ends with Mike driving Jesse out into the desert.

"Gonna ask where we're gong?"

"Nope."

I think I know. I hope I don't.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am

Oh, and this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo[/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:39 am

S04E05 - "Shotgun"

Pre-show thought: most of the episode titles lately have had double meanings. This could be about Jesse riding shotgun with Mike. It could also be about -- gulp -- what Mike has in store for Jesse out in the desert ...)

This episode blasts out of the gate with Walt driving like a mad man and making last minute phone calls. Always his priorities in order, Walt's first call is to Saul, followed by a call to Skyler.

(Random thought: I guess Mike forgave Saul about giving him the wrong address for Jesse? Seems like that got dropped and everything is back to normal in that department.)

Walt eventually arrives at Los Pollos Hermanos to either save Jesse, kill Gus, have some delicious chicken, or all of the above. In true master criminal fashion Walt gives his real name to the female manager at the counter, and then sits in between two closed-circuit security cameras. Maybe after a few more murders he'll get better at this. We ultimately learn that Gus isn't there, and a phone call from Mike convinces Walt that Jesse is safe. Mike, other than Walt. Jr, may be the most honest person on the show. That's not the only problem; maybe it's just Walt's paranoia and maybe it's not, but Los Pollos Hermanos is Gus' territory. It's going to be tough to kill him there and walk out unscathed.

(I liked the poster behind Walt with the caption "OPEN WIDE!")

Mike's first stop with Jesse out in the desert looks bad for the Pink one, especially after he retrieves his shovel from the car. Instead of digging a hole, Mike digs up a money bag -- "dead drops" -- money left behind by the Pollos dealers. Jesse, as we, are initially confused as to why he's being brought along. Is Mike simply detoxing Jesse? Is Jesse's house being "cleaned" while he's away? Is Gus simply seeing if Walt can run the lab by himself without Jesse?

("Kind of," "no," and "no.")

On the last stop of the day with Mike out of the car, we see another shotgun, this one attached to the arm of a dealer coming for some cash. The drop spot's been compromised. Jesse (who tends to think faster on feet in street situations than Walt) throws the car in reverse almost killing the assailant, hitting the car behind him, and making a getaway. Run, Jesse, run!

(The fact that Mike didn't plug these attackers immediately tells me he's in on it. Why, I'm not sure yet. Was this a Gus-planned hit on Jesse? If so, it doesn't make sense. Why would he ruin Mike's day by having Jesse ride with him all day? Was it to wear Jesse out? To see if he would talk? Was the decision not made until later in the ride?)

(After thinking about it more, Mike had to be in on the planning of this. A former cop could look immediately at tire tracks on a dirt road and figure out there were two cars there, especially assuming parts of both car are lying in the road. Something's fishy in chicken town.)

Back at the White household things seem to be shaping up the Skyler and Walt. Skyler's asked Walt to move back in, and we see our first love scene between the two of them since (I think) Walt's forcible moves on her in the kitchen a few seasons ago. All Skyler asks for is "complete honesty" between the two. Walt should tell her up front that that's not going to happen.

The final three bombshells of the episode (Breaking Bad is good at that).

- We learn that the robbery attempt was a setup meant to boost Jesse's confidence. Jesse shows some moral character by coming to pick up Mike at the bar. Gus tells Mike he will reimburse Mike for the repair to his cars (plural), telling me Mike owned both cars. Mike must get paid significantly less than everybody else. Can you imagine Gus reimbursing Walt for the damage to his Aztek?

- At Hank and Marie's house, Walt gets so drunk that his braggadocios side comes out and his mouth ends up convincing Hank that Heisenberg is "still out there." I KNEW Hank wouldn't be off the case for long. Hank has been the biggest DEA proponent of catching Heisenberg. He was convinced the case was closed until Walt convinced him to reopen it. Here is exactly what I typed while watching this episode:

walt hitting the bottle hard.
walt getting drunk, HAS to take credit, doesn't like gale being called a genius.
NO NO NO do not tell hank that it's not the real heisenberg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO WALT NO
WALT you are an IDIOT!!!!!

- After combing over the crime scene photos, Hank spots one thing that doesn't match up with Gale's otherwise healthy, vegan lifestyle: a bag from Los Pollos Hermanos ...

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 am

Also, I see she got her hair cut, but did Skyler get fatter or something this season? She looks different.

And Walt Jr. of course has aged 4 years in six months of story time. Same thing happened to the kid on Lost (which is what got him written out of the show), who, oddly enough, was named "Walt".

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 am

S04E06 - "Cornered"

The Cartel won't leave Gus alone, and they're getting smarter. In one episode they broke into a building and got shot up by Mike. A second time they tried hijacking a Hermanos truck, and got shot by Mike. This time though, the hijacking was successful thanks to a C02-provided dirt nap.

Season four Walt is not Season one Walt, is he? We've gone from a a likable high school chemistry teacher to a guy shouting "I AM THE DANGER! I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!" to his wife. Wow, if that won't calm her fears about the safety of her children, what will?

(That line's not 100% true and I'm not even sure if Walt believes it, but goddamn, that may be the best line of the show so far.)

Based on that comment, Walt is not moving back in. I saw that coming. All the power and freedom Walt has "earned" with his new job, Skyler shuts down. She wants control, she wants to know Walt's comings and goings, she wants complete honesty and Walt's not giving that up. To cheer up a disappointed Walt Jr., Walt buys him a brand new Dodge Challenger, a move Skyler puts the kibosh on pretty quickly. "Someone has to protect this family from the person protecting this family." Ouch. So it's up to Walt to return the car, although we've all met Walt and know his pride issues, so instead of returning it he does donuts in it, crashes it, and sets it on fire.

Mike and Jesse go on a stakeout together, but Jesse gets bored and decides to speed things up. First he tries buying some sky blue from a jittery dealer who says he doesn't sell to strangers. How is it random bikers driving by know who Jesse Pinkman is, but other meth dealers in ABQ don't? I guess the ATM mythos is long gone. Jesse ends up tricking one of the guys to come outside and dig a hole (I really didn't get that -- are meth heads that easily manipulated and gullible?) and "Tucker" inside looks like he's about to blast Jesse a new one when Jesse (again, thinking fast on his feet) mentally disorients him before disarming him, all while Mike sits back and watches him work. I wouldn't say Mike approved of Jesse's unorthodox methods, but they were effective, and he was successful.

Not during the episode, but afterwards, I got this feeling like a role reversal is beginning, like Walt is sliding down and Jesse is going up. Just a few episodes ago Jesse was on the outs with Gus and Mike; now things are on the mend. He's slowly earning Mike's respect, and Gus said he "saw something in him" (hopefully it's not a bullet). Walt, on the other hang, seems to be backsliding. He and Gus aren't on the best of terms (they both appear to be planning to kill one another), Mike already had orders once to kill Walt, Skyler just kicked him out (again) and he jad to return Walt Jr.'s car. He probably kicked a cat somewhere, too.

With Hank off the DEA streets, it look like the buddy adventures of Mike and Jesse might be filling that hole.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 pm

I've been meaning to throw this out there. I've watched a few of the episodes on my laptop and a few on my television, but for the most part I've been watching them on my iPad. Sometime in season three I found that our treadmill has a little ledge that works perfectly with my iPad's stand.

Long story short, I've watched four or five episodes while walking on the treadmill. In the past week, I've lost two pounds so far while watching Breaking Bad.

My plan for season five is to hit the meth and really get the weight dropping off.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:46 pm

S04E07 - "Problem Dog"

Pre-show thought: "Dogs" are supposed to be loyal, are sometimes on a leash, and if they don't behave, can be a problem. God, that could be just about anyone on the show at this point.

Walt still thinks the only way to save his and Jesse's necks (although it seems Walt's neck is more on the line than Jesse's) is to kill Gus. Now, along with guilt, Jesse is carrying around a container of ricin, with which he intends, we think, to kill Gus.

Gus has more pressing issues than Walt trying to kill him. A meeting has been called with the Mexican drug cartel. Gus goes in to make an offer, but the cartel responds with an offer of their own: "Yes, or no?" We're not sure what the question is yet, but the answer seems pretty important.

Hank made his first visit back to the DEA and it was a welcome addition to the show. Hank is that likable jerk, the jock you don't want to like but still kind of do. This whole side issue of Marie's shoplifting and Hank's mineral collecting ... who cares? Hank is best with his slightly-biting zingers and his police brain ticking away at the case. It was good to have him back, and thanks to Walt, Hank is now on Gus' case, which could eventually unravel Walt's entire world. Good job, Walter!

This episode's title comes from a rehab group meeting Jesse attends where he confesses to shooting "a dog," much to the dismay of a few of the groups members. Jesse's emotions come out and he even confesses to the group the reason he started going there was to sell people meth. Near the end Jesse is begging the group leader to tell him that his behavior is NOT okay. Jesse needs a rather figure, someone to tell him right from wrong. That person sure as hell isn't Walt anymore. The second closest thing to a father he has is a hit man at this point.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:11 pm

S04E08 - "Hermanos"

Pre-show thought: "Hermanos" means brothers. Sounds like a buddy episode. It also most likely refers to the restaurant.

There's a great moment in this episode where Walt gives some advice to a stranger about never giving up control in his life. It's great because Walt has officially lost all control in his life.

This was an epic, epic episode. I love episodes like this. I love when a show is a few seasons in and you get a back story that explains character motivations and actions. I really enjoyed this one.

In "Hermanos" we get to meet the original chicken brothers, Gus and his original chicken/cooking partner, Max. It's interesting to see a younger Gus, just starting out. Gus and Max got their foothold in the business by giving "samples" to Cartel foot soldiers. It got them a meeting with the Cartel, but not under the best circumstances. We also get to see a younger, more defiant Tio (Hector?) here, pissing in his boss' pool.

Cut to modern day -- we find Gus arriving at DEA HQ, being interrogated by the police and the DEA in regards to Gale's murder. Hank found Gus' fingerprint at the crime scene, and the rest of the force have a few questions for Gus as well. As with every other corner he's been backed into, Gus cuts through this one like a knife through butter (or a box cutter through a Victor ...). He's so many steps ahead of the police that he's got an answer for everything -- how he knew Gale, why they recently met, and ultimately, what his fingerprint was doing there. Oh, and an alibi for the time of the murder, of course. Despite Hank's suspicion that he can't find any record of Gus in Chilean's records, his story makes sense to the rest of the force. If Hank's going to continue investigating Gus, it looks like it's back to a one man gang.

Gus isn't giving up, and soon he and Walt (under the guise of attending a mineral show) drive to the titular Hermanos restaurant where Hank asks Walt to place a GPS tracking device on Gus' (the man who already has reason to kill him) car. Walt feigns installing the tracker, but when coming face to face with Gus, Gus commands him to "DO IT". Good job of taking control of your own destiny, Walt!

In a short scene we see Saul delivering money to Andrea and her son Brock from Jesse, who is hiding out in the car. We know kids are Jesse's soft spot, but why he feels the need to take care of Angela long term is still a bit of a mystery. It does show us a slightly different side of Jesse.

Back to the flashback. It looks like Gus might get it, which we know doesn't happen based on the present. Max is pleading how important Gus is and BANG WELL THERE GOES MAX!!! Suddenly, Tio's piss isn't the worst thing in the pool now, is it?

(What a great insight, by the way, to what Gus thinks of Walt. If Gus' original cook (his friend Max) was expendable, why wouldn't Walt be?)

There's a scene at the end where we see Gus talking to Tio, letting him know exactly who he's killed and what's going on and teasing Tio that today might be his last day.

Random thought: shouldn't the restaurant be called Hermano (singular) now? ;)

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 pm

S04E09 - "Bug"

Pre-show thought: is this about the GPS tracking bug? Is someone's phone or house still bugged? Is Jesse's house now bug infested?

Instead of giving a play-by-play on this episode, I'm going to sum up things here. Walt is essentially losing everything. The last thing he had in the meth game, other than this cooking skills (which we have seen can be emulated by others), is his power and influence over Jesse. Now that's gone, too. You know the old saying about catching more flies with sugar than vinegar? Mike and Gus have given Jesse a little bit of positive feedback and a little bit of trust and a little bit of purpose and, what do you know, Jesse's loyalty has for the most part moved from Walt to Gus (or, more specifically, Mike). Jesse has had two specific opportunities to kill Gus and at least one to kill Mike (who gave him a loaded gun) and didn't.

Speaking of Gus ... apparently the cartel has made him an offer he can't refuse. After an ambush attack, Gus concedes and tells the cartel, "yes."

We've seen Walt and Jesse bicker, argue and fight before, but this time seemed, at least for the time being, somewhat final. The belittling from Walt was more vicious than ever, as were the fisticuffs that followed. Are things over between Walt and Jesse? For the time being, it would appear so.

(There's a whole subplot going on with Beneke being audited. To be honest it just feels like something they threw in to have somebody else involved. I can't imagine it going anywhere important, but we'll see.)

It looks lke Gus, Mike, and Jesse are headed to Mexico, leaving Walt behind with the most miserable person on the show at this point -- himself.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm a little behind in my reviews, but I finished season four tonight.

Click-click-BOOM.

Bugs

Post by Bugs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:01 am

Flack wrote:S04E09 - "Bug"
(There's a whole subplot going on with Beneke being audited. To be honest it just feels like something they threw in to have somebody else involved. I can't imagine it going anywhere important, but we'll see.)
lol