Breaking Bad: The Journey Journal

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Ok. I disagree with all of that. How can the central conceit of a story be a coincidence? You expect thousands of episodes of shows about people who have cancer and aren't chemistry geniuses?
?????

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:06 pm

S05E13 - "To'hajiilee"

Wow another good one!
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Flack wrote:S05E13 - "To'hajiilee"

Wow another good one!
S05E13 proved that S05E12 was just "the episode between S05E11 and S05E13".

Goddamn. Fantastic in both broad and small strokes. (Todd vs. Lydia's coffee mug = ewwwewewewewewew.)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Protagonist X
Location: A fortified bunker deep beneath the Arizona desert surface.

Post by Protagonist X » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I concur. The lipstick-on-the-coffee-cup scene creeped me the hell out, for some reason, more than Todd's lack of hesitation to murder at the drop of a hat in the Train Job and the cliffhanger shootout at the end of this one. Ick.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:05 pm

S05E14 - ""Ozymandias"

Action packed!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Why did you go from longer reviews and analysis to just a few words, friend?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Flack wrote:S05E14 - ""Ozymandias"

Action packed!
Probably the most intensely unpleasant hour of drama I've ever seen on TV! Made all the more difficult to watch due to the intro. Oh, how we had fun out in the desert, in the TV, wearing our tighty whities.

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I rewatched it. I was too close to it the first time, so for me it didn't become totally clear until the second time that this was the pinnacle of television so far, and the single greatest episode of anything ever. Utterly flawless (and I thought there were flaws the first time, but it was my own fault).

ALSO: I forget what I was going to say here.

Uhhh.

Oh right. This episode also set a virtually unmatchable record of "time from start of show to opening credits". I thought that was another amazing touch.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 pm

S05E15 - "Granite State"

Wow!

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Flack wrote:S05E15 - "Granite State"

Wow!
This is like a Family Guy joke that's funny at first, then goes on so long it stops being funny, then continues to go on until it becomes funny again.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:49 am

In this thread, I documented my journey through Breaking Bad. While Pinback and ICJ were watching the fourth season I barreled through Netflix and DVD rips of the shows, consuming episodes faster than the shady denizens of Albuquerque consume Heisenberg's trademark blue meth. For myself and everyone else who has taken the plunge into the Breaking Bad universe (except perhaps Lethargic), it has been both an exciting and gut wrenching experience.

In the beginning, all Walter White wanted to do was provide for his family after his death. He was a man with a family, a job, but no savings. It's almost quaint to remember Walt as a high school chemistry teacher or a car wash employee. In five seasons Walter has gone from a man with a family but no money to a man with all the money in the world and no family to share it with. In one bad desert-based decision he lost 7/8 of his $80 million dollars, and after a knife fight with Skyler he lost his family. (He had, of course, "lost" Skyler seasons ago, but now he's lost his children.)

Now, Walter White sits imprisoned in a cabin. In the cabin with him sits millions of dollars in a barrel that he cannot spend. His family doesn't want it, and even if they did, it seems impossible to get it to them. He has broken every single relationship he has. As Walt sits both physically and emotionally isolated from everyone he knows in a far away cabin, both the cancer and his actions have destroyed him.

I am in Phoenix this week. I'm supposed to go home on Saturday but instead I'll be driving over to Albuquerque, the home of Breaking Bad, to watch the final episode there. Somehow, it feels right. After that episode airs I will wait 24 hours and then post my final thoughts on Breaking Bad.

EDIT: I found a blog where a guy posted the GPS coordinates of the cook site in To'hajiilee. Since I can stream live television to my iPad, that is where I will be Sunday night -- in To'hajiilee, where Walt began and essentially ended his empire. I will post my final Breaking Bad from that very spot.