Cactus Flack's II: The Flackening

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Are these the games you have left? [...] Are you updating that in more or less real-time???
I scrolled back and found the source of confusion. I did say that I was down to 10 machines in the storage unit, but I neglected to clarify that I also have 5 or 6 in my garage as well. The current list looks something like this:

48-in-1 (95% converted to a 48-in-1 -- needs bezel and front (Midway) glass)
Altered Beast cabinet (no PCB)
Bucky O'Hare (working, slight water damage to cabinet)
Centipede (95%, needs track ball cleaned/repaired)
Commando (100%)
Heavy Barrel (works 100%, ugly cabinet w/no marquee)
Karate Champ (95% ... monitor works but is original)
Rampart (100%, in Gauntlet II cabinet)
Road Riot 4WD (PCB issues, working but dim 25" monitor)
RoadBlasters (100%, minor water damage to cabinet)
Shinobi (1) (100%, decent cabinet)
Shinobi (2) (100%, less decent cabinet)
Speed Buggy (100%)
Super Off Road (occasional PCB issues, currently disassembled)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (dead monitor)

That's just about everything that's left. 720 is off the list. I have no long term plans for it other than keeping it in my garage and playing it from time to time, put I put too much time and money into tracking that one down to give it away at this point. I have someone interested in the Commando, but not interested enough to pay for it or come pick it up yet.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 am

This is more "me publicly thinking things through" than anything else.

I think I can squeeze 15 machines in my garage.

Currently in my garage are:

48-in-1 (going in the house)
Centipede
Commando
Heavy Barrel
MAME (going in the house)
Rampart
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Currently in my storage unit are:

Speed Buggy
RoadBlasters
Altered Beast cabinet
Bucky O'Hare
Karate Champ
Marvel vs. Street Fighter
Road Riot 4WD
Shinobi (1)
Shinobi (2)
Super Off Road

That's 17 machines, total.

I just received a package offer for Centipede, Road Blasters, and Speed Buggy. If those sell, that gets me down to 14.

The Bucky O'Hare cabinet is shot. Financially it makes more sense to part out. I can get $200 for the machine as-is, or $300 for the parts. Assuming I tear that one apart this weekend, that's 13.

Marvel vs. Street Fighter has a bad 25" monitor. Road Riot 4WD has a bad PCB, but a good monitor. Seems like those could be combined into one working game with a few parts to sell left over.

The next rent payment ($212) on the storage unit is due February 14th. If things go well this weekend it looks like I'll be able to consolidate everything into the garage and get out from under that payment.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

Question for Flack:

720* Degrees is obviously the game to own if you want to sorely disappoint friends who are into Tony Hawk! Skateboarder Pro (or whatever). However, if I wish to troll friends who are addicted to Guitar Hero!, is there an early example of the that genre from the same era as 720 Degrees?

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I believe the genre started with Konami's Guitar Freaks. It's a slightly simpler version (3 buttons instead of 5), but not all that prehistoric.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcTNViEGBN0[/youtube]

I guess if you really want to drive them mad, download a copy of Shredz64 for the Commodore 64. You'll need a PSX>C64 adapter, but ... just check it out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gcC3Sn-Gw[/youtube]

If you're going back to the same era as 720, all I can think of is making them play Journey! Any way they want it? THAT'S the way they need it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlO-7MZZxU[/youtube]

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 pm

I can't believe nobody has jumped on that Commando.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Commando is one of four machines I currently own that people have laid dibs on, but failed to pay for or pick up.

The next step is going to involve trashing a few machines, and I've come to terms with that. Like, one of my Shinobi machines ... I think I paid $100 for it, back in 2004 or 2005. I think it's worth a little bit more than that, but probably not much. Over the next couple of days I'm probably going to list it for $100. If it doesn't sell, I'll yank the guts and toss the cabinet and call it a day. I'm not going to cornhole a guy to get them to come get a $100 game, you know?

I know everybody has their own prices and values and what they think things are worth when it comes to cabinets and whatnot. I always personally thought that a good game in a good cabinet should run around $300; an unpopular game in a nice cabinet or a popular game in a rough cabinet should run around $200, and anything that works should be worth $100. I know the economy is shit right now, but if I can't get at least $100 for some of these games that work (much less the nicer ones) then ... I don't even know.

I put myself in a weird situation by moving all my machines to a storage unit that doesn't have any electrical outlets. That makes it difficult to sell machines to people who, you know, might want to see them work first. I'm going to try to run one off of a power converter while connected to my car tomorrow and see how that works. If that's a go, I'll go ahead and start the final fire sale.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Flack wrote: Neo Geo MVS
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kGJBv6Wr4[/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Mine looks just like that one except it's beaten up and won't power up.

I went over to the storage unit today and one of my Shinobi machines wouldn't power up. So that's good news, really. It's like every time I go over there something's broken, so really I only need to make 9 more trips before they're all dead and I can finally get some rest at night.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Understood! It's... as if I saw myself cutting power on Shinobi. Oh well, if only there were a kind of magic that could help it. In other news, sometimes JC-reader cleverlyj makes us all look like we're amateurs as he restores all the games he gets until they look amazing.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=221283

He just got the Super Pac, and you can see his Tempest, Wizard of Wor and Mario Bros. games, which look factory-new.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 pm

Flack wrote:Commando is one of four machines I currently own that people have laid dibs on, but failed to pay for or pick up.
"You should know that the rules for claiming 'dibs' are set out in the International Dibs Protocol..."
- Sarge, Red vs. Blue
For a good time, call 202-762-1401, in Colorado and the West, call 719-567-6742.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Understood! It's... as if I saw myself cutting power on Shinobi. Oh well, if only there were a kind of magic that could help it. In other news, sometimes JC-reader cleverlyj makes us all look like we're amateurs as he restores all the games he gets until they look amazing.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=221283

He just got the Super Pac, and you can see his Tempest, Wizard of Wor and Mario Bros. games, which look factory-new.
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. Wish I had the time and space for it.

To make a long story short I have 93 hours of use-or-lose vacation to use this year to get me down to the maximum amount I can carry over (six weeks), and after this week I will have around 40 hours of comp time I need to burn as well. My goal is to take off a couple of days next week and (cue ominous music) do what must be done ...

I listed Speed Buggy, Road Blasters, Bucky O'Hare and Shinobi all for $200 each (all four work perfectly, two have somewhat damaged cabinets, two look great). Not a single bite.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm

I will LITERALLY post what you just wrote on the for sale section of KLOV if you want to give me contact information. LITERALLY.

I also jumped on Youtube and saw have shot videos. So I could in-line them or something. Four games for $200? Those fuckers will be ass-deep on that.

(I posted my Time Pilot PCB on craigslist. Got one inquiry as to whether or not I had the harness.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Oh, $200 each. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

EDIT: Also, Bucky O'Hare and Speed Buggy haven't shown up yet.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:52 pm

And for us all to enjoy, here is Flack presenting.... Road Blasters!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9o7cdgu7Bk[/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Not bad, I thought, for playing with one hand and holding the camera phone with the other.

I got a firm offer for Bucky O'Hare -- guy I know's supposed to come get it tomorrow night.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

I posted on KLOV regarding your games. Did I go too far there? I know I wrote you an e-mail but we can take it public. I pointed to your ads rather than post your personal information.

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 pm

No no, that was fine. I appreciate the extra boost -- hopefully it leads to some sales!

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 am

I sold Bucky O'Hare and the empty Altered Beast cabinet this weekend. I also (in case you missed it) smashed one of my Shinobi cabinets into little bitty pieces.

Here's where things stand, I think:

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - $100 (Dead 25")
Road Blasters - $100 (Works, Damaged Cabinet)
Road Riot 4WD - $100 (Works, 25", PCB Issues)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 $100 (Dead 25")

Heavy Barrel - $150 (Works, no marquee, needs paint)
Karate Champ - $150 (Works)
Rampart - $150 (Works, Gauntlet II Cabinet)
Shinobi - $150
Speed Buggy - $150

Centipede - $200
Commando - $250
Super Off Road - $250
720 - $800

That leaves me with a 48-in-1 and a MAME cabinet for inside the house. I'd like to keep 720 but I have no place inside the house for it and $800 is about what I have in it.

I have to be out of the storage unit by 2/14, which gives me next weekend to finish things up. In retrospect, storing machines 15 minutes away from my house in a storage unit without electricity wasn't particularly conducive to working on them.

In Invading Spaces I wrote that pretty much everything I know about this hobby I learned the hard way, and this has been no exception.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Flack wrote:I sold Bucky O'Hare and the empty Altered Beast cabinet this weekend. I also (in case you missed it) smashed one of my Shinobi cabinets into little bitty pieces.
Flack and I spoke about this tonight. He received a bulk offer. Of course, that Shinobi was in sad shape. But I was reminded of this scene from Star Trek V.
McCOY'S FATHER: Leonard.
McCOY: I'm here, Dad. I'm with you, Dad.
McCOY'S FATHER: The pain, ...stop the pain.
McCOY: I've done everything I can do. You've got to hang on.

McCOY'S FATHER: I can't stand the pain. ...Help me.
McCOY: All my knowledge and I can't save him.
SYBOK: You've done all you can. The support system will keep him alive.
McCOY: You call this alive?

McCOY'S FATHER: Son, ...release me.
McCOY: I can't do that, Dad. ...But how can I watch him suffer like this?
SYBOK: You're a doctor.
McCOY: I'm his son!

(McCoy turns off the life-support)

SYBOK: Why did you do it?
McCOY: To preserve his dignity.
SYBOK: That wasn't the worst of it was it?
McCOY: No.
SYBOK: Was it? Share it.

McCOY: Not long after ...they found a cure. A goddamn cure!
SYBOK: If you hadn't killed him, he might have lived.
McCOY: No! I loved my father. I released him!
SYBOK: Then you did what you thought was right.
McCOY: Yes! No!
That would have been a lot better if I could have inlined a video. But alas, that -- like the Shattered Shinobi -- nobody here truly possesses.

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 am

So here's the deal on the table: 6 of my machines (2 dead, 4 working) for his Multi-Williams, or 8 of my machines (2 dead, 6 working) for his Multicade. We virtually shook hands on the Multi Williams deal this morning. Both of his cabinets were created from templates by scratch with brand new wood, so there's not a scratch or nick on either one.

Here's the Williams cabinet. It will match my upstairs gameroom decor perfectly.

Image | Image

Here's the 60-in-1. One hesitation I had about it was the color scheme and decals. It's a little busy and yellow.

Image | Image

Image | Image