Reason 4067: Why I hate people

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

chris

Reason 4067: Why I hate people

Post by chris » Mon May 30, 2005 4:49 pm

So last Tuesday, I did what I always due on Tuesday evening....take the garbage out to the curb for pickup. We have a nice big green garbage tote with wheels so we can roll it out. Have had it since we bought the house 5 years ago.

Last Wednesday, I come home from work and find my garbage tote crushed underneath a pickup truck, and a guy knocking on my side door. He's the new neighbor (moved in over the winter) from across the street. Backed his new pickup truck over my garbage tote. Introduced himself, said that he's buy me the same exact tote the next day to make up for it. Fair enough.

The days went by, and no garbage tote was to be found. Fine...he's going to jap on his RESPONSIBILITIES AS A MAN and not atone for his incompetence. I'll call the waste disposal company and see if they'll give me one of those heavy duty totes they supply to customers.

So we went out to dinner this evening, and upon returning home, what do I see in my driveway? Is it a replacement plastic garbage tote, complete with wheels? Nope.

I get two old fashioned, dented, USED aluminum garbage cans. But hey, at least they have lids!

I've lived here 5 years, and have never had a problem with my neighbors. The guy to the left of me is a chimney sweep who's raising his grandson. Nice enough guy. The folks to my right are nice folks too. They have one of those "steak on a stake" carts you see at festivals and fairs, and they sometimes bring us freebies when they're out cooking for themselves. Just helped the wife plant a weeping cherry tree in their front yard last weekend (the husband owns a garage, and frequently works on Saturdays). The folks directly across the street are decent enough...don't know 'em, but they don't cause trouble (although there's a little white trash in 'em). But the new folks who are kitty corner to us across the street? They might be a problem.

As I type this, I'm sitting on my front porch, looking across the street at my new neighbor's house. He and his buds just took off in their truck a few minutes ago, and the garbage cans are now sitting right at the end of his driveway. I'm waiting to see what he does with 'em when he gets home.

Knuckles the CLown

Post by Knuckles the CLown » Mon May 30, 2005 8:22 pm

Did your garbage company provide it? They probably would replace it, and if they charge you, give the new guy the bill.
Perhaps taped to some of the missuses fine apple pie.
I don't know where this guy would buy one. For some reason I picture a Homer Simpson-Ned Flanders situation developing.
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 31, 2005 5:28 am

Knuckles the CLown wrote:Did your garbage company provide it? They probably would replace it, and if they charge you, give the new guy the bill.
Perhaps taped to some of the missuses fine apple pie.
I don't know where this guy would buy one. For some reason I picture a Homer Simpson-Ned Flanders situation developing.
No, the one I had was one that I bought myself when we bought the house.

I was actually outside putting the hose away when the guy returned home and came over to talk to me. Said that he had been "too busy" to go get me a garbage can, but he'd get me one tomorrow (where have I heard that before?). Ironically enough, if you go to the end of our driveways and look south, you can see the Chase-Pitkin (regional home improvement center) that's RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. Too busy my ass. He said that the aluminum cans were "just for today" and asked if I wanted them or not. What, the fact that I put them right in the middle of your driveway didn't answer your question?

So, we'll see if a new garbage can shows up today or not. We're gonna call our waste hauler and see if we can score one of their heavy duty totes too.

nessman

Post by nessman » Tue May 31, 2005 6:49 am

:shock:
Last edited by nessman on Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the First Amendment will protect a scumbag like me, it will protect all of you. - Larry Flynt

Worm

Post by Worm » Tue May 31, 2005 8:31 am

I'd like one that kills the flies.
Good point Bobby!

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 31, 2005 9:45 am

nessman wrote:The heavy-duty waste hauler provided cans are the way to go. They hold a ton of stuff... they use a remote-controlled grappling arm to pick it up from the curb and toss your crap in the back so the guy driving the truck will never know if you threw some "banned" hazardous waste item, dead person, etc... in there.
Yeah, we gave 'em a call this morning, and they'll be delivering one to us on Saturday AT NO CHARGE.
As for your neighbor... the best revenge is to get real friendly with his wife (listen to her problems and be a "friend") and wait til he leaves for work then give it to her good.
From a distance, she appears reasonably decent. He seems like a bit of a wigger (and his friends definitely qualify), so perhaps she'll tire of it and desire a little "Vitamin C" in her life. :smile:

jS

Post by jS » Tue May 31, 2005 10:16 pm

Yeah, I'm sure she'll be real impressed by the way you handled the garbage can situation.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:30 am

jS wrote:Yeah, I'm sure she'll be real impressed by the way you handled the garbage can situation.
It was certainly better than the way her current man handled it, so I WIN BY DEFAULT.

After dinner last night, I went outside to do some work, and found my new garbage can sitting in the driveway. He knew full well that we were home, yet he just dumped it in the driveway and ran. Speaks volumes of his character.

He did, however, leave the receipt with it, and he did pay cash for it. This means that come Saturday, when our waste hauler delivers our free garbage tote, this one goes back to the store and I'm $27.01 richer. :smile:

I think what pisses me off about this whole thing is that I'm apparently the only guy on the planet who takes responsibility for his mistakes. Had it been me who ran over his garbage can, rectifying the situation ASAP would have been my number 1 priority....I would have done it within 24 hours, if not that very same evening, and I wouldn't have just dumped it in his driveway and ran. All he had to do was literally go across the street and buy a new one, yet it took him 7 days to do it. For a guy new to the neighborhood, he certainly doesn't seem to care what his neighbors think about him.

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:35 am

You should tie him up (in a garbage can, for irony), then force him to watch you raping his wife, and then decapitating her (in either order), and then beat him to death with his wife's skull.

That'll teach that miserable son of a bitch to... wait, what was it? Oh yeah, the garbage can thing. Breaking your garbage can. Right, now I remember.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Worm

Re: Reason 4067: Why I hate people

Post by Worm » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:59 am

chris wrote:Fine...he's going to jap on his RESPONSIBILITIES AS A MAN and not atone for his incompetence.
I missed the racism and sexism on the first read. Also way to hit the japs well you're thinking like them!
Last edited by Worm on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good point Bobby!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:19 pm

chris wrote:I think what pisses me off about this whole thing is that I'm apparently the only guy on the planet who takes responsibility for his mistakes. Had it been me who ran over his garbage can, rectifying the situation ASAP would have been my number 1 priority....I would have done it within 24 hours, if not that very same evening, and I wouldn't have just dumped it in his driveway and ran.
He went right over to you and admitted his mistake. He gave you temporary ones until he got a chance to buy a new one. Now he probably thinks you are a petty jerk for being such an asshole over a fucking garbage can.
chris wrote:All he had to do was literally go across the street and buy a new one, yet it took him 7 days to do it.
Well. . . he just moved into a new house, he most likely is busy with things more important to him than you.
chris wrote:For a guy new to the neighborhood, he certainly doesn't seem to care what his neighbors think about him.
That's why people live in the suburbs, so they don't have to talk to their neighbors if they don't want to. I probably wouldn't care what you thought either.
chris wrote:this one goes back to the store and I'm $27.01 richer. :smile:
Great morals there, asshole. You could have been a man and told him days ago that "it's no problem, the company is giving me a new one free of charge", but no, you didn't do that. Some fucking neighbor you are, I'm guessing that you don't much care what your neighbors think of you either.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:23 pm

Wait, there is something I'm not getting. How bad a driver was this guy if he was running over garbage cans in other people's driveways? And he's the kitty corner guy? The fuck brought him over two lanes of traffic into your sidewalk, Chris? Did he just get finished robbing a bank?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Wait, there is something I'm not getting. How bad a driver was this guy if he was running over garbage cans in other people's driveways? And he's the kitty corner guy? The fuck brought him over two lanes of traffic into your sidewalk, Chris? Did he just get finished robbing a bank?
He claims that the big pickup truck he drove over my garbage can was new, and "he wasn't used to driving it".

The driveways on our street aren't directly across from each other...they're all offset from each other. If he drove straight out of his driveway and across the street, he'd be on the OPPOSITE side of my driveway from where the garbage can sits. So, he didn't just back out of his driveway straight and hit it, he backed out, swung the turn REALLY wide, went across my driveway and smacked the can.

But like I said before, I'm not upset about the can itself, but how the situation was handled. All my other neighbors are really responsible people, and this guy needs to learn to treat his neighbors better.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:50 pm

chris wrote:this guy needs to learn to treat his neighbors better.
Maybe he can learn a thing or two from you and scam his neighbors out of some money.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:57 pm

Casual Observer wrote:He went right over to you and admitted his mistake.
Because his mother or mother in law was standing right there. I'm not convinced that he would have done it otherwise.
He gave you temporary ones until he got a chance to buy a new one.
He dumped busted old aluminum cans in my driveway when I wasn't home, with no note indicating that they were temporary. He promised a new garbage can would be delivered the day after he destroyed mine, and the aluminum cans showed up 6 days later. Now if he had offered up the aluminum cans as loaners the day he busted mine, then things would be completely different.
Now he probably thinks you are a petty jerk for being such an asshole over a fucking garbage can.
I am a petty jerk, but it's a matter of principle. If you destroy somebody else's property, you make amends. As I said before, Chase-Pitkin is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. It would have taken him all of 10 minutes to take care of this problem.
Great morals there, asshole. You could have been a man and told him days ago that "it's no problem, the company is giving me a new one free of charge", but no, you didn't do that.
We didn't contact the waste hauler until yesterday about getting a can from them. Even if we had done it the day after, I'd *still* make him pay for the busted one....it's a matter of principle.
Some fucking neighbor you are, I'm guessing that you don't much care what your neighbors think of you either.
Sure I do....I get along great with my two next door neighbors. Then again, they're respectful of my property. At this point, I honestly don't care about the "new" neighbor, as he obviously doesn't care what his neighbors think about him.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Casual Observer wrote:Maybe he can learn a thing or two from you and scam his neighbors out of some money.
Who's scamming money? He has to pay for destroying my property....whether it's done with money or with materials is irrelevant.

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:00 pm

chris wrote:Who's scamming money? He has to pay for destroying my property....whether it's done with money or with materials is irrelevant.
Jesus. What a dick.

I was almost starting to warm to you, Chris, and now you've thrown all of that good will into the garbage can!

I'm afraid I must recommence wishing you would die now.

Die. Die. Die.

And you, sir, are reason #4068.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

CO

Post by CO » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:05 pm

chris wrote:Who's scamming money?
Um, you're scamming money. A tote is a free part of the garbage service (suburban disposal, right?) so it's real petty to keep the money. If you really cared about getting along with your neighbors you would return the tote and receipt to him and say "thanks but I ended up getting a free one". Even as broke as I am, that's what I would do. Certainly a well off suburban dude like yourself could be a bigger man than this.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:08 pm

chris wrote:He has to pay for destroying my property....whether it's done with money or with materials is irrelevant.
Maybe he should bend over and let you ass rape him while he's at it? That would even the score over the garbage can.

Worm

Post by Worm » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:27 pm

So, in the end Chris is the jap?
Good point Bobby!