Gord Ash somehow not shutting the fuck up

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Gord Ash somehow not shutting the fuck up

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:27 am

The worst guy I've ever seen at his job was Gord Ash, one-time general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays. Handed a two-time championship team, Ash did what few else could have done with the team he was given: he made baseball no longer important in Toronto.

Every once in a while he pipes up. I don't know if this piece of shit is looking for another baseball job or if he just answers questions when reporters find him and ask him, but he's making great comments like this:
Gord Ash wrote:"I understand why what happened, happened. But to say that everything we did there was without positive result is not right. Guys like Roy Halladay, Vernon Wells and Alex Rios are proving that to be true."
--Former Blue Jays GM Gord Ash, on being replaced in Toronto by J.P. Ricciardi (Toronto Star)
Yeah, you're the fucking man, Gord. You didn't function completely without positive result!! You grabbed, well... these three guys! Look! Luckily you were FUCKING CANNED before getting a chance to trade them to the Orioles and Yankees like you did with many other talented players on your team.

You stupid fuck. A child of ten knows you don't trade your quality guys inside the division. A CHILD OF TEN. Shut your fat fucking face, Ash. Your time in Toronto HAD NO POSITIVE RESULTS. The fuck were you expecting? To be given 10 or 15 years to let your three prospects develop? Why were you grabbing guys like that Ash? Was it because you made the Jays into one of the worst teams in the majors and therefore had high draft picks almost every fucking year?

Fuck you. You're a fucking disgrace.

I said it before, I'll say it again.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

BlueJayRay

Re: Gord Ash somehow not shutting the fuck up

Post by BlueJayRay » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:26 am

First of all Ice Cream, I would like to commend you for a well-articulated posting. Nothing reveals the intelligence of an individual quite like repeatedly using profane language and mocking the weight problem of another person. In addition, it is always a good idea to make statements that are factually incorrect, such as saying that Gord Ash is "looking for another baseball job." Mr. Ash has been employed as the Assistant General Manager of the Milwaukee Brewers since November 2002, and before you comment on the ineptitude of the Brewers, please keep in mind that they are universally regarded by those within baseball as an up-and-coming team with one of the best farm systems in the game. The truth of the matter is that Gord Ash played a major role in bringing the city of Toronto two world championships. In addition, he took over the GM position at a time when the Blue Jays were forced to rebuild. While the first four years of his tenure were lean, he succeeded in returning the Jays to a competitive level. It should be noted that no Gord Ash team ever lost 90 games in Toronto, a feat accomplished by the 2004 Blue Jays. Furthermore, it is obvious that you either did not read the entire article you quoted, or you simply chose to read what you wanted to read. While Mr. Ash defends his legacy as GM of the Blue Jays in the article, he also candidly admits that he made errors for which he deserved to be fired. It takes a strong man to recognize and admit his mistakes, especially those that occur on the public stage. Mr. Ash was simply defending himself against claims made by J.P. Ricciardi that he had completely destroyed the Blue Jays—claims that were unfair, untrue, and quite cowardly coming on the heals of a 94-loss season. It is telling that Ricciardi never made any comments about the inadequacies of the club he inherited when the Jays won 86 games in 2003. It is also telling that Mr. Ash chose not to attack J.P. Ricciardi in the article you quoted; rather, he simply chose to set the record straight, addressing both his strengths and weaknesses.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Gord Ash somehow not shutting the fuck up

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:40 am

BlueJayRay wrote:First of all Ice Cream, I would like to commend you for a well-articulated posting.
Hahah, is this for real?
Nothing reveals the intelligence of an individual quite like repeatedly using profane language and mocking the weight problem of another person.
How many f-bombs do I have to drop to get down to the level of somebody who is actually defending the Baseball Grimace here? I'd be running the "F," "U," "C," and "K" keys down to the point where my keyboard would be waving a white flag of surrender, a white flag that Gord could use as a napkin for his oversized, B-Movie Monster head after funneling in all of Canada's supply of cheese fries or -- as he called it -- "Tuesday."

In addition, it is always a good idea to make statements that are factually incorrect, such as saying that Gord Ash is "looking for another baseball job."
Haha, good for Gord -- I was under the impression that he was living off the royalties Marvel paid him for using his likeness in the Daredevil comics, but certainly being at the top of whatever winning organization he latched onto is paying the bills instead.

Mr. Ash has been employed as the Assistant General Manager of the Milwaukee Brewers since November 2002
"..."

and before you comment on the ineptitude of the Brewers, please keep in mind that they are universally regarded by those within baseball as an up-and-coming team with one of the best farm systems in the game.
If I were with the Brewers I'd promote those guys as quickly as possible before Gord does what he normally does to farms, which is completely devour them.

I'd go as far to say that Gord and whoever was stupid enough to look at his resume and say, "That's the guy for me!" had BETTER have a couple prospects ready for the big leagues seeing how they've been drafting in the top five for as long as anyone can remember, but then I remembered that one of the guys the new-look Brewers will be touting is Prince Fielder, who definitely has the most fitting surname in baseball until our your boy the assistant to the general manager changes his name to Gord Treadmill.

Great, he picked Cecil's kid. Someone get his face on a gold plaque for Cooperstown, and somebody also let Fort Knox know that we're going to need it all in order to properly depict it.

The truth of the matter is that Gord Ash played a major role in bringing the city of Toronto two world championships.
The only way Gord helped would be if he were actually stuffed with duck feathers and let Joe and the boys sleep on his doughy proportions on the team plane. You can't POSSIBLY believe this. You can't POSSIBLY want this clown back in any way, shape or form.

In addition, he took over the GM position at a time when the Blue Jays were forced to rebuild. While the first four years of his tenure were lean, he succeeded in returning the Jays to a competitive level. It should be noted that no Gord Ash team ever lost 90 games in Toronto, a feat accomplished by the 2004 Blue Jays.
Well, he's managed to do it with the BrewCrew for every year he's been there. Didn't he even crack 100 once? I think losing 100 games when everyone knows that the commissioner of your sport actually owns your team is like losing 200 games, normally. I will put Ash's record that year at negative 38 and 200 so that the games work out correctly because I'm a purist.

Furthermore, it is obvious that you either did not read the entire article you quoted, or you simply chose to read what you wanted to read.
What I read was Ash trying to take credit for the three guys playing for the Jays that he brought in who might actually not be selling insurance in five years, one of which is freaking Rios, who we might just be jumping the gun on in terms of using as the crafty cornerstone of his whole "I'm not incompetent" argument when a mic is shoved in front of his face. And by "we" I mean Gord, for reasons made obvious in all my preceding and, let's be honest, most-likely following paragraphs.

hile Mr. Ash defends his legacy as GM of the Blue Jays in the article, he also candidly admits that he made errors for which he deserved to be fired.
Fantastic! He set baseball back in Canada 20 years and got to work elsewhere in the game! The hell is wrong with him leaving the industry? Because that's what he should have done. There's no inherent right to be in baseball, not that you'd know it if a choad like Ash can get recycled. If it was your lifelong dream to captain seaships and you run yours into an iceberg people don't pat you on the back and tell you to "Go getum champ!!" and give you chance and chance again. Gord pulling his own Titanic on the Jays should have him back where he belongs, which is kicking Luke into the Rancor pit.

It takes a strong man to recognize and admit his mistakes, especially those that occur on the public stage.
Yeah, he's a real big man to admit that. And when not admitting that.

Mr. Ash was simply defending himself against claims made by J.P. Ricciardi that he had completely destroyed the Blue Jays—claims that were unfair, untrue, and quite cowardly coming on the heals of a 94-loss season.
Don't get me wrong, Ricciardi has been all sizzle and no steak so far as well, especially since not tendering Delgado on the heels of a giant influx of cash was as bad as Ash trading half his team to the Yankees and Orioles.

I wish I could have been there when he traded Clemens. If I could pick any moment in history to be a fly on the wall for comedy's sake it would be Gord trying to negotiate this Baltic-for-Boardwalk abomination. First he picked up Wells so he could look like the slim one at the press conference when he announced it, if in some parallel universe you hold a conference for getting fleeced by the Yankees. Which one took all the time, Homer or Lloyd? "Hey, this guy's named Homer! He's gotta be good!" I'll bet Steinbrenner was kicking himself for not giving Kevin Mass the nickname "Triple" so he could get away with giving even less to the rube on the other end of the line.

It is telling that Ricciardi never made any comments about the inadequacies of the club he inherited when the Jays won 86 games in 2003.
Yes, J.P. is kind of an asshole and his attempts to blame Gord at this point come off as sort of childish. The right time to have attacked Ash for the playpen of a franchise he left Ricciardi would have been either:

1) Over the television when J.P. got the team, or:
2) Over the Internet when Ash barfs up his laughable chunks of pabulum in a pre-Wright-Bros. attempt to flap the remnants of his ego.

I covered #2. Hell, I would have covered #1 if someone had asked me.

It is also telling that Mr. Ash chose not to attack J.P. Ricciardi in the article you quoted; rather, he simply chose to set the record straight, addressing both his strengths and weaknesses.
He works for the Brewers. If I were him I'd tread lightly when discussing the chances of a kindergarten T-ball team that got stuck with the retard, girl and wheelie.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!