Guess This Chick's Problem.

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Vitriola

Post by Vitriola » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:57 pm

itgirl wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:But the theory I read (maybe it was in FHM or something) is that women do not find that funny and men do.
And yet I found it hilarious. Even with him dead.
I didn't, not because I was offended, but because it was too plebian for me. Try:

"Why didn't Superman save the twin towers on 9/11?"

"Because if he can't stand, NOTHING WILL."

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 13125
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Post by pinback » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Love ya to death, V, but the original version is funnier.

Maybe that's a male/female thing, though.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

chris
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Hiding in the workshop

Post by chris » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:37 pm

pinback wrote:Love ya to death, V, but the original version is funnier.
I disagree....both of the jokes made me laugh. Then again, I often find tremendous humor in marginally funny things when I'm as tired as I am right now.

Hmm, no, both of 'em WERE funny.

User avatar
Knuckles the CLown
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Shaker Heights, OH

Post by Knuckles the CLown » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:37 pm

Lysander wrote:Doesn't seem fair. You've got five.

Here, how about this: you can take the ugly one, I can take the one about it being a bunch of people, Worm or ICJ can pick the "must be a JCer" theory, and Knuckles the CloWn can pick the transgender guess. And Bruec can pick the guess of her being fat, because Bruec always loses. Wait, maybe Danza should take the one aobut it being a bunch of people, and my guess is that it's actually a guy. Even though if she's going to meet oyu at the bar it's pretty unlikely. And Adam can make the guess that she's a hopelessly messed-up cokehead. Excellent. Excellent.
You don't know me you bastard. I would guess it was one of you homos with a secret man crush.
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

itgirl
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Atlanta GA and Washington DC
Contact:

Post by itgirl » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:28 am

chris wrote:Hmm, no, both of 'em WERE funny.
Yep.

itgirl
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Atlanta GA and Washington DC
Contact:

Post by itgirl » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:38 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:But wait! They remade "The Shop Around the Corner" a scant six years later? (and some other claptrap edited out because it was all bullshit)
Judy Garland=musical. Therefore, they took a fairly unknown, black and white, quiet film with James Stewart, when he was not a star at all, before his Oscar for "The Philadelphia Story," a property owned by MGM, and 6 years later (although it was released in 1949) gave it to the highly money-making Freed unit, set it back in time (turn of the 20th Century), handed it to Vincente Minnelli to direct in stylish technicolor, starred Vincente's wife of three years and biggest musical star at the time Judy Garland, MGM's biggest actor of the time Van Johnson, and threw in a cameo at the end of Vincente and Judy's 2 year old daughter Liza. They also threw in Buster Keaton for a touch of nostalgia. Nobody was pissed off. It was a huge moneymaker.

Vitriola

Post by Vitriola » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:26 pm

itgirl wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:They remade "The Shop Around the Corner" a scant six years later? (and some other claptrap edited out because it was all bullshit)
Judy Garland=musical.
They, they really hammed it up in 'Jane Eyre'. I liked the crazy wife burns down the house song. I still sing it at sporting events.

itgirl
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Atlanta GA and Washington DC
Contact:

Post by itgirl » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:38 am

Vitriola wrote:They, they really hammed it up in 'Jane Eyre'. I liked the crazy wife burns down the house song. I still sing it at sporting events.
Yes, but even that song was remade by David Byrne.

"Some things sure can sweep me off my feet..."

(Speaking of which did you see "Pride and Prejudice: The Bollywood Musical"? Heard the guy who played Darcy was a total babe. English, not Indian.)

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 21617
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey! What the fuck happened? There was no fucking end here!

What was Anhjhay like?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: University Park, Maryland
Contact:

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 pm

pinback wrote:I think the time has come for a regime change here at JC.

I don't think the top guy can cut it any longer.

Something horrible must have happened to his brain area.
Planning a coup, eh Ben?

I was involved in one of those, once. There is a humor mailing list at the University of Georgia, and the manager was leaving to go on sabattical for six months to India, meaning he generally wouldn't have Internet connectivity to manage the list.

So he put up a notice asking for volunteers. I think five people volunteered, and what happened is, the other four didn't really bother, so I ended up taking over the list while he was gone.

So I made a whole joke about how I was the "Junta Leader of the Humor List" and pretended to have the typical practices of an unelected dictator. For example, I pointed out that people who wanted to be allowed to post jokes had to take a test (it was basically that you knew how to send a message to the list and how to unsubscribe) OR you could offer kickbacks just like any typical South American Dictator.

I also went onto the list and added my e-mail address as having supervisory priveleges on the list (which makes sense since I have to do work on it) in addition to the original list manager's account. (That way I don't have to keep logging onto his account to do maintenance; I can just e-mail the corrections to the listserv.)

I was sort of humorous some times, when someone sent a really groaner joke, I'd send them a reverse message telling them that their account was being suspended. Not their posting account on the humor list, but because their joke was so bad their e-mail account was being suspended! (Typical act of a power-mad dictator).

The list had two rules: postings to the list had to be some form of humor - jokes, riddles, etc. - and you could only post once per day. Violating the rule was jubject to disciplinary penalties. When someone did, usually I sent them a message informing them to report for summary execution or worse punishment would be imposed (after all, this is a repressive Junta, I have to maintain standards).

So, one time I made a mistake, in which I had a set of listserv commands to do list maintenance, instead of sending them to the list server, I posted them as a message after I'd already posted a joke that day. Well, I broke the rules, so - the next day - I posted a message asking the readers to come up with appropriate punishments for me to impose upon myself. I then posted the ten funniest penalties (in my opinion) people suggested.

It was fun while it lasted. When the list owner came back, I let him have the list back. That was back around the time you were running the Bull and Finch Pub BBS back in Maryland, Ben.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: University Park, Maryland
Contact:

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:54 pm

Vitriola wrote:"Why didn't Superman save the twin towers on 9/11?"

"Because if he can't stand, NOTHING WILL."
Boooring. Here's one:

Why didn't Christa McCaulife have to take a shower before riding on the Challenger Space Shuttle?

Because she ended up washing up on the beach.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

CO

Post by CO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:22 am

Paul Robinson, four years late wrote:
pinback-in-2004 wrote:I think the time has come for a regime change here at JC.

I don't think the top guy can cut it any longer.

Something horrible must have happened to his brain area.
Planning a coup, eh Ben?
Are you autistic?

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: University Park, Maryland
Contact:

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:33 am

CO wrote:
Paul Robinson, four years late wrote:
pinback-in-2004 wrote:I think the time has come for a regime change here at JC.

I don't think the top guy can cut it any longer.

Something horrible must have happened to his brain area.
Planning a coup, eh Ben?
Are you autistic?
I never looked at the date. I didn't realize the postings were that old. That, I guess, is what comes from bad design. I have felt the way this BBS is set up is hostile to postings based on the way it operates. I thought it was difficult to use and my own error confirms this.

I'm not picking on this BBS, per se, but the software that operates it.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

CO

Post by CO » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:57 am

http://paul-robinson.us/ wrote:I never looked at the date. I didn't realize the postings were that old.
You have to look at the date so you'll know which of ben's personalities you're dealing with.

savvyraven
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: la la land
Contact:

Post by savvyraven » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm so glad Pinner wasn't talking about me. I am German and I did have cats and a snake, but then I looked at the date and figured I was okay. At least, I don't think that was me.

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 13125
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Post by pinback » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Listen to CO up there, sweetness! I was a different guy back then! No need to read the rest of this base! :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D




:D




<3 <3 <3 <3
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Worm
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:53 am
Location: tucked away between the folds of your momma, safe

Post by Worm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Paul is secretly the most devious troll ever to have trolled!
Good point Bobby!

CO

Post by CO » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 am

I thought he was a turing test.

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 21617
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:48 pm

Well, the beginning of this thread belongs in "Best of."
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Locked