Get your FLATSPACE on, ... er.. ....

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Get your FLATSPACE on, ... er.. ....

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:06 am

... What a time to draw a blank!

Anyway. Flatspace. It's an Elite clone. It's free. (Well, you can buy the registered version, but don't do that yet.) It's available here: http://www.lostinflatspace.com.

You can choose a number of professions to start out with -- I picked bounty hunter, for instance. Which is good, because Flatspace has a universe populated with people who hate each other. More on that in a sec.

You start off with no money, which was bad for me because a guy ran into my ship and knocked out my machine gun from the get-go. Defenseless, I needed a mission.

I went to a starbase and got one. I was going to transport a liver to some other starbase because some poor slob asked me to... asked me with cash! $250 just to run an organ. Right on. However... there were a bunch of other missions as well:

Nomar Skyhugen will pay $13,980 for the death of his enemy, Mira Johanson, last seen in sector 17,15.

Zygote Bedfarm will pay $18,908 for the capture of his enemy, Gregor Meers, last seen in sector 5,7.

Hans Polito will pay $13,290 for the death of his enemy, Atticus Snarl, last seen in sector 19,9.

... and so on. People hating other people, and they want to pay ME to knock 'em out. Hahaha! It apparently makes up names on the fly and they are hilarious.

Played it last night a few hours and the next thing I knew it was 1:30. I died constantly, but I was playing with the "death = dead" thing on, which is permanent death when you get it. Cool.

So far this has been a blast. Further updates as the game warrants.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:02 am

Sweet! Best game in history! I might just buy the sucker.

I do so enjoy visiting "eerie space stations".

Worm

Post by Worm » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 am

I attempted to assasinate someone because it was a load of money and I mean how hard could it be? I'm a motherfucking SP4C3 PR8! So I waltz down to the station where he is and I check my mission progress and click complete and it says "Return to space station to complete your mission". So I guess you can see where this is going. I figure it auto assassinated, it didn't, and I blew fifteen minutes flying around.

I now have no idea how I would assassinate someone. I guess I blow up the Space Station or something. I might give it a few more tries but the fact that I'm in a graphic interface to a space based MUD effectively really doesn't make my return seem very fruitful.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:34 pm

Worm wrote:I attempted to assasinate someone because it was a load of money and I mean how hard could it be? I'm a motherfucking SP4C3 PR8!
Well... I've shot at people and I've seen them erect a rainbow colored shield that I couldn't penetrate.

So, it's not like Sinistar where you just fire at will and that's that.

So I waltz down to the station
The music is great, there are no waltzes. Don't listen to his lies.

Where he is and I check my mission progress and click complete and it says "Return to space station to complete your mission". So I guess you can see where this is going. I figure it auto assassinated, it didn't, and I blew fifteen minutes flying around.
Auto... what, now? You're not telling me that you somehow thought that he committed suicide as soon as he heard you were onto him and you thought you could just go get the reward, did you?

I now have no idea how I would assassinate someone.
The people in Flatspace can not breathe in a vacuum. The pressure that their bodies pushes out against the world on will cause them to explode if left in space as well. If you destroy their ships, that will do it.

Although, playing more, I realize that capturing people involves disabling their ships. I don't know how to do that yet. YET.

I guess I blow up the Space Station or something.

No, I don't... well, maybe, hell, I don't know. I'm going to GUESS that you don't need to blow up the space ship -- killing hundreds of innocent people -- just to get one guy. If it lets you do that, cool but I don't think that's "the way."

I might give it a few more tries but the fact that I'm in a graphic interface to a space based MUD effectively really doesn't make my return seem very fruitful.
Play and let the universe be your oyster.

Worm

Post by Worm » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:08 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Worm wrote:I attempted to assasinate someone because it was a load of money and I mean how hard could it be? I'm a motherfucking SP4C3 PR8!
Well... I've shot at people and I've seen them erect a rainbow colored shield that I couldn't penetrate.

So, it's not like Sinistar where you just fire at will and that's that.
Yeah, I figure I'd go into the station, tear the motherfuckers head off and hyper jump the fuck out of there.

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
So I waltz down to the station
The music is really great. AGREED.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Where he is and I check my mission progress and click complete and it says "Return to space station to complete your mission". So I guess you can see where this is going. I figure it auto assassinated, it didn't, and I blew fifteen minutes flying around.
Auto... what, now? You're not telling me that you somehow thought that he committed suicide as soon as he heard you were onto him and you thought you could just go get the reward, did you?
Well, I wasn't expected a FPS interface to pop-up, narmean? The entire time I was thinking this is too easy.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Although, playing more, I realize that capturing people involves disabling their ships. I don't know how to do that yet. YET.
Yeah, you think you'd have something that is important enough to have it's own button like the tractor beam would be Standard Equipment.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
I guess I blow up the Space Station or something.

No, I don't... well, maybe, hell, I don't know. I'm going to GUESS that you don't need to blow up the space ship -- killing hundreds of innocent people -- just to get one guy. If it lets you do that, cool but I don't think that's "the way."
Well, I can't think of anything else. The pussy is hanging out at a freaking Police Station, so I thought escaping after poisoning this guys drink (That's how we did this shit in the Dark Brotherhood BITCH) was the hard part.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
I might give it a few more tries but the fact that I'm in a graphic interface to a space based MUD effectively really doesn't make my return seem very fruitful.
Play and let the universe be your oyster.
Yeah, I'm going to blow up the whole fucking space station next time.
Good point Bobby!

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:19 pm

I'm currently playing Escape Velocity: Nova, which seems to be a very similar game. I liked the little bit of what I saw of Flatspace better, but it won't let me register on a "free" account and I don't want to fall in love with the game and then discover I'm being denied the full experience.

Waltz Maven

Post by Waltz Maven » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Worm wrote:So I waltz down to the station
:-(

Worm

Post by Worm » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:20 pm

Fuck it, I keep on attempting and I can't stand it. This game motherfucking blows.

Let's go over the classes

Trader: There are flash games that simulate this with more expedience actually having to go from space station to space station is absurd. Of course, if you would pay you could upgrade the boosters on your ship. Yeah, a "pay to enjoy" class. GJ

Bounty Hunter: You start out with a pretty neat scanner and ideally are supposed to just fine someone with a bounty and rock there ass. You can fly around aimlessly if you want forever. Though if you paid, you'd be able to upgrade your scanner and actually hunt them down with expedience. It's following the suit so far.

Mercenary: wait

Why the fuck am I even doing a class by class? If you end up in the wrong place and find one of the other ships that is programmed with the "MURDER EVERYTHING" AI and it has a half decent missile you're dead. The only way to get away from missiles it seems is to hyper jump, and that probably wouldn't even work. Could be real fun if it weren't for the ludicrous restrictions though. Though, in a world where people don't believe they even should pay for professionally made games, there is not way they are going to pay for shareware. Especially one with such a shit demo.
Good point Bobby!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:50 pm

I've paid for shareware and other non-professionally made games. Just saying, some people do it.

In fact, I might eventually pick up Devil's Whiskey. You've been enjoying that, right, ICJ?

Worm

Post by Worm » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:57 pm

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I've paid for shareware and other non-professionally made games. Just saying, some people do it.

In fact, I might eventually pick up Devil's Whiskey. You've been enjoying that, right, ICJ?
Hell, and I'd buy this game if I could get a better demo. Though right now The demo really isn't feeling my motor and I'm not going to buy another game on the possibilities. That was my mistake with Lionheart.
Good point Bobby!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:26 pm

Yeah, I bought this game this afternoon, and spent many hours since then playing it (look how far past my bedtime it is!)

When I first got it, I liked it. Then I played it a little more, and LOVED it!

Then I played it a lot more, and decided that it BLOWS. Absolutely sucks and blows. Nobody buy this game. It is:

1. Stupid.

2. Extremely poorly designed (making the things you do most often the most painful).

3. Extremely lacking in information (though my "trading scanner" let me know what a particular space station sold and bought, once I entered the station itself, or left the sector of space where the station was, that information was unavailable to me, so I had to take out a pad of paper and WRITE DOWN the various exports/imports of the various stations with a pen. WITH A PEN, goddamn you.)

4. Ridiculously unforgiving. "Oh, you've played for three hours? And made hundreds of thousands of dollars? And upgraded your ship with armor and shields? Oops, well, here comes a tiny little missile fired by some space douchebag, and... GAME OVER! LOL!

5. Incredibly retarded "AI" ships. More than once, my game was terminated due to random ships just running into me. Just running in.

Flatspace SUCKS.

And don't tell me to try "Escape Velocity Nova", because I already tried the demo, and it pissed me off too. "Oh, you want to get to a star system three jumps over? Well, I'm afraid you'll have to do that manually. In the year 2850 (or whatever), we still haven't invented "waypoints" or "autopilots"."

Since when did the concept of an auto-pilot in a space trading game become taboo? Why should I have to man the goddamn ship myself, for that matter, that far into the future? Jesus, we've already got unmanned spacecraft, and it's only, what, 2000-ish!!

I want a decent space trading game.

And I want it now.

Am I going to have to do this myself? Is that what this is going to come down to? Having to do this myself?

FUCK.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:51 pm

pinback wrote:I want a decent space trading game.

And I want it now.
If you'll settle for an excellent 4X Space Game, there's Galactic Civilizations.

Bruce

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:02 pm

I will NOT settle for that.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:06 am

pinback wrote:"Oh, you want to get to a star system three jumps over? Well, I'm afraid you'll have to do that manually. In the year 2850 (or whatever), we still haven't invented "waypoints" or "autopilots"."
Just shift-click to set waypoints. Or was it control-click? One of those. Granted, you'll have to hit the "jump" key over and over again (I guess so the game can roll for pirates), but you won't have to manually open up the nav screen every time.

It's really a decent little trader except that I really want a decent little trader with either:

1. Cockpit view flying like Elite or Privateer or one of those other games that no longer run on my computer.

2. A crew with RPG style statistics, like in... I don't know, I've seen games on Underdogs that have this, but they're all old CGA affairs that are impossible to get into and inevitably disappointing.

3. Maybe some sort of decent story or setting or whatever that somehow manages to neither intrude on the freestyle gameplay nor be incredibly insipid.

4. The ability to trade in drugs or slaves or other contraband like in Privateer.

5. Some combination of the above.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:43 am

Theres a cheat for the 1.04 version (Full not demo) where you put in the name Adric Phane and start with $1,000,000. But everytime i put in a custom name, it crashes the game. WTF is up with that?

Worm

Post by Worm » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:Theres a cheat for the 1.04 version (Full not demo) where you put in the name Adric Phane and start with $1,000,000. But everytime i put in a custom name, it crashes the game. WTF is up with that?
It's probably shitty.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:04 am

I wish I had my own name and a million dollars. It would get me to play it again.

Seriously, nothing killed the experience of that game faster than realizing it was going to be forever before I could travel faster than one sector at a time. They should have mentioned that before selling it. "Be prepared for it to take 20 minutes to go 20 sectors."

Souffle of Pain

Post by Souffle of Pain » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:42 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Seriously, nothing killed the experience of that game faster than realizing it was going to be forever before I could travel faster than one sector at a time. They should have mentioned that before selling it. "Be prepared for it to take 20 minutes to go 20 sectors."
If they said that they probably wouldn't have gotten Parrish and you to buy it, and from the looks of their website they needed that $40 a lot more than you two, presuming that $40 won't be the difference between you spending the week's end giving discount handjobs in Share Ware Alley if you follow me.