The Official JC at Classic Games Expo 2003 Thread!

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Vitriola

Post by Vitriola » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:06 pm

I'm going if, and only IF, RobB dyes his hair. I'll be driving, so when should I show up? Also, since I am currently without any such demands on my time like, say, a JOB, or a PLACE TO LIVE, I'm pretty much free to show up whenever and stay to whenever. So, who do I have to blow to get a room?

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:05 am

bruce wrote:
Jethro Q. Walrustitty wrote: But come on! Face facts! Text adventures are not a viable commercial gaming genre in this day and age.
Yeah, but in '96 Activision presumably made a reasonable amount of money by doing the rerelease. That's not the point.
Did they? Did they really? I'd be curious to see the numbers.

I don't know one way or the other - but I'd be pretty skeptical of them doing very well with it. Even if they did, it was a budget title - what, $20 for what was originally $500 worth of games? Of course, the $500 got you the feelies, but you get the point. I suspect that even with the value of getting countless hours of quality gaming for a small chunk o' change, it still didn't exactly fly off the shelves.

Hey Jonsey - you were working at EB around that time, right? Any memory of how it sold?

Agree 100% with the colorizing/graphics issue. He was clearly wrong there - especially since it would be an enormous amount of work to produce 1996-quality graphics for scads of long Infocom games for a budget price.
Vitriola wrote:So, who do I have to blow to get a room?
I'm guessing "anyone who's going", but sounds like Pinback may get you a nicer hotel room, on the strip instead of downtown. But that means no playing Centipede topless and drunk then staggering up to your room and doing your own version of the intermission where Pac-Man meets Ms. Pac-Man with whatever lucky JCer happens to be there.

"Who's your Donkey Kong, baby?"

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:08 am

Vitriola wrote:I'm going if, and only IF, RobB dyes his hair. I'll be driving, so when should I show up? Also, since I am currently without any such demands on my time like, say, a JOB, or a PLACE TO LIVE, I'm pretty much free to show up whenever and stay to whenever. So, who do I have to blow to get a room?
Hi there.

I actually reserved a room for two, and there's only one of me in it, precisely in the hope that something like this would happen.

Bruce

Worm

Post by Worm » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:22 am

Jethro Q. Walrustitty wrote: Agree 100% with the colorizing/graphics issue. He was clearly wrong there - especially since it would be an enormous amount of work to produce 1996-quality graphics for scads of long Infocom games for a budget price.
That's not the point. It is like saying the Atari Classics CD should of used 32 bit hi-definition prerended 3d images it's simply rude and indecent. At least I think so.
Good point Bobby!

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:54 am

Worm wrote:
Jethro Q. Walrustitty wrote: Agree 100% with the colorizing/graphics issue. He was clearly wrong there - especially since it would be an enormous amount of work to produce 1996-quality graphics for scads of long Infocom games for a budget price.
That's not the point. It is like saying the Atari Classics CD should of used 32 bit hi-definition prerended 3d images it's simply rude and indecent. At least I think so.
Don't get me wrong - it's clearly wrong from a philosophical point of view - my point was that, even if you did find the idea of images for each scene to be a good one (in case you can't visualize a fucking mailbox with a leaflet in it) - it would be a tremendous amount of work on Activision's part to create the necessary images.

So, whether you're for it or against it, you can't honestly expect that it'll actually happen. Hence, you could smack Kunkel around for putting unrealistic demands on the product as much as for wanting the unwantable. You might as well complain that the "Rear Window" DVD doesn't feature a Hitchcock commentary.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:26 pm

I think what's offensive is that no one can actually believe the guy liked the games in the first place yet he tries to maintain some sort of level of respectability by implying that he had.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:47 pm

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I think what's offensive
Well, <i>I</i> think what's offensive is that Vitriola hasn't yet promised to show up. I'll pay for RobB's hair dye myself, if that's what it takes.

Bruce

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:48 pm

Vitriola wrote: when should I show up?
Thursday afternoon seems to be favorite.

Me, I'm getting in Thursday evening pretty late.

Bruce

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:30 pm

So is that what we're all going to do, try to get singles at the Plaza?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:39 pm

I think that would be best. I've got so much crap going on right now it would just make things slightly easier for me to just be able to grab a room on my own. I am not even sure if my brother will or will not make it (probably not, but who knows) so trying to work out funds and room size and everything for a 3-5 person group is just beyond what I can reliably do. Only having time to dork about with it at work for the next few days is problematic as well.

I think there was a request in this thread or the other one for me to dye my hair. I regret that I can not fulfill this request, at least, not on my HEAD LOROL ROLL ROOLR FFORLLL, etc. (Sorry, that's what passes for "comedy" when even a modicum of stress is introduced into my life. Triste, non?) Anyway, here is what I demand:

1) I demand an apology!

2) I demand that Dayna make the trip anyway, goddammit. Confidential to V. ... er, V. Itriola, (the confidential bit does not work when there are not last names kicking about -- I demand an apology for that, too) we'll work out the details of the arrangement, just make sure you make this trip. Write me an e-mail or call me on this. I don't want to see you not go because you didn't hear back from me because I got kicked off the Internet for a while here.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Larry King

Post by Larry King » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:40 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:1) I demand an apology!
I will not give it to you.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:49 pm

Larry King wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:1) I demand an apology!
I will not give it to you.
But I'll give it to Vitriola. HAW HAW.

Bruce

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:10 pm

Also, any particular warez I should bring for anyone? I'm planning on bringing a cd of stuff I took from the Infodoc project and Infocom galleries for pinback, but if anyone else can think of something I promised them or are interested in, give a shout out.

BATTLE RAPER

Post by BATTLE RAPER » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:19 pm

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Also, any particular warez I should bring for anyone?
BAAAAAAATRE RAAAAAAAAAPER!

8-bit Pr0n King

Post by 8-bit Pr0n King » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:21 pm

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Also, any particular warez I should bring for anyone?
Bentley Bares All!

8bpk

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:44 pm

OK, Roody and I have gotten our room situations taken care of. Debaser, feel free to give me a call (you've got my number, right?) or chuck me a mail. I'll try to find the exact URL for the hotel we're at as well (if someone has it handy, please post it).

Dayna -- send me an e-mail, goddammit. =)

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:45 pm

Ok, I've got my room. I took a smoking room just in case I'm a fiend that weekend, so I'd expect my room probably won't be by anyone else's.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:52 pm

I just wanted to preen, because LotR:FotR is mentioned on the front page at http://www.cgexpo.com

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:36 pm

I saw that.

You bastard.

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:51 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I saw that.

You bastard.
I showed it to my <i>parents</i>. How geeky is that?

Bruce