The Official JC at Classic Games Expo 2003 Thread!

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:11 pm

I need an answer, people. I'm still booked at The Plaza Thursday night. Should I cancel Thursday and stay somewhere else, or NOT?

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:20 pm

It would be nice just to ask Ben if he is coming or not on the BBS, but of course, he had to go ban himself after I specifically told him it was a shitty time to do so.

Let me write him an e-mail and I'll get right back to you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:29 pm

He's in!! Parrish is in!!

Now this party's started, all right!!!

OK, let me go see where we should stay. One sec.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:33 pm

I just wrote him asking him where we should get a hotel room from on Thursday and Friday.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:35 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I just wrote him asking him where we should get a hotel room from on Thursday and Friday.
I'd really recommend staying at the Plaza on Friday so we can just stagger downstairs and hit CGE2K3 Saturday morning without having to fuck with taxis and things.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:39 pm

bruce wrote:I'd really recommend staying at the Plaza on Friday so we can just stagger downstairs and hit CGE2K3 Saturday morning without having to fuck with taxis and things.
Point taken.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:57 am

Update!!

We've got Ben longer than previously anticipated. He really doesn't want to stay downtown.

Let me ask you this, Bruce:

1) What time/day are you leaving Vegas?
2) How close is your current hotel to the airport? (If it's real close, maybe it's worth you staying with us on the strip Thursday and Friday, and then keeping it Saturday and Sunday.)

Getting to the CGE on Saturday shouldn't be an issue -- I will definitely have wheels, and there won't be so many of us that we can't all fit.

I can go attempt to make reservations for Thursday Night, Friday and Friday night for some place on the strip if that will expediate things. I think the lineup will be:

ICJ
Bruce
Pinback
Roody
Debaser
Possibly my little brother.

(If things have changed either way for Roody or the Debaser, just let me know.)

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:41 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Update!!

We've got Ben longer than previously anticipated. He really doesn't want to stay downtown.

Let me ask you this, Bruce:

1) What time/day are you leaving Vegas?
4:55 PM Sunday is my flight.
2) How close is your current hotel to the airport? (If it's real close, maybe it's worth you staying with us on the strip Thursday and Friday, and then keeping it Saturday and Sunday.)
I have no fucking clue.
Getting to the CGE on Saturday shouldn't be an issue -- I will definitely have wheels, and there won't be so many of us that we can't all fit.

I can go attempt to make reservations for Thursday Night, Friday and Friday night for some place on the strip if that will expediate things. I think the lineup will be:
Please do. Once you make that, I can pay for my room once we get there. Once you've made them I'll cancel my Thursday and Friday Plaza reservations.
ICJ
Bruce
Pinback
Roody
Debaser
Possibly my little brother.

(If things have changed either way for Roody or the Debaser, just let me know.)
So, uh, is Ben bringing Shortcake?

Bruce

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:06 am

Yeah, I'm still in, but it'll be helpful to know as soon as possible how much I have to save up for lodging.

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:46 pm

Yeah, it's looking good for me, too, though I've got some details to work out as to how I'm getting there and all.

Oh, and on a related note, are any of those online airfare William Shatner things any good? If so, which would get the official JC endorsement?

William Shatner's Tekwar

Post by William Shatner's Tekwar » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:10 pm

Hi.... guys.

I... can recommend... Priceline.com.

So can... Ben Folds.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:14 pm

I am currently talking things over with Pinback regarding where to stay on the strip.

My impression is that we ought to not blow our wads on hotel rooms. I personally am getting savaged with a bunch of expenses relating from my move. I will be OK by the time we're there, but hell, most of you other guys have the expense of flying in added as well, so there's that.

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:16 pm

Damn. Kind of wish I had seen all this earlier - not knowing much of anything about the CGE other than "it exists", it sounds pretty cool and up my alley.*

Oh, err, except that <strike>virtually</strike> everyone here hates me, leaving me being as desirable company as Ted Bundy, Saddam Hussein, and one of those diseased guys from the athlete's foot ads. Hmm. (Especially if Pinback brought Shortcake. Heh, heh, heh. "Hilarity ensues.")

Oh well. LOOKING AHEAD TO E3 2004!

* not a sexual euphemism

Violet

Post by Violet » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:47 pm

I don't hate you Jeff. The question I ask is why are you hidden when you come onto the board.

Oh yeah and I HATE CARS. Damn it all to hell.
The End

Worm

Post by Worm » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:38 pm

JQW, you came off like an ass. That doesn't mean I hate you. Nobody hates on this board ... really.

You could always pick me up if you are driving ... I'm completely into going somewhere with a group of complete strangers to meet the maker of Q*Bert though I'm not as throttled to give a damn if I can't go. I'll probably just bid my time and wait till Halloween to go to Salem ... I heard that place r0xx on Halloween.
Good point Bobby!

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:18 am

Sorry, I'm all into the whole classic gaming thing - but I'm not driving all the way across the country to see the producer of "ET The Extraterrestrial" for the Atari 2600. That guy's brave to show his face; he ought to be taken out and beat like a drum. Especially with the conceit of using three names.

The highlight of the CGE shouldn't be claims of hitting a high score at Defender, but rather, "I got to the 255th board of 'Beat Howard Scott Warshaw Behind the Happy Ending Massage Parlor', and the thing locked up!"

Honestly, if you're going there, you don't list one of the most legendarily bad games ever on your resume, the one that destroyed the home gaming industry for a couple years. That'd be like Dr. Mengele applying for a job at Pizza Hut and having a resume like:
Mengele's Resume wrote:Dr. Josef Mengele

Previous work experience:
1928-1933, Gunther's Gut Eins: cooked sausages, light janitorial
1933-1937, Ministry of Transportation: processed driver's license applications
1937-1943, Katarina's Moving: drive truck for long-distance moves
1943-1944, Auschwitz concentration camp: performed experiments on Jews, various other atrocities
1945-1950, various: in hiding
1950-2003, Avon: telemarketer

References:
Gunther Haag, small business owner
Viktor Bruechler, shift supervisor
Adolf Hitler, leader of the Nazi Party
Helen Baskerville, regional manager
Some things you just shouldn't be proud of.

That being said, I'm definitely not going. Hopefully, I will make it to E3 2004, though, despite the staggering cost of tickets.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:48 am

That's the best post you've made in the last 8 years.

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

Post by Jethro Q. Walrustitty » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:53 am

FUCK! And I made it on <strike>the enemy BBS</strike> JC!

Heh.

Worm

Post by Worm » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:53 am

I guess I'll just try to sell crack to christian kids at home.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:48 pm

Jethro Q. Walrustitty wrote:Sorry, I'm all into the whole classic gaming thing - but I'm not driving all the way across the country to see the producer of "ET The Extraterrestrial" for the Atari 2600. That guy's brave to show his face; he ought to be taken out and beat like a drum. Especially with the conceit of using three names.
I bought a new, shrink-wrapped copy of Crystal Castles for the 2600. I am hoping that the "father" of Bentley Bear will sign it. But!!! Do I take the shrinkwrap off or not?

SOMEONE HELP ME;..