Elite 4

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

JackStraw's Ghost

Post by JackStraw's Ghost »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I trust that nobody misconstrued my message as an endorsement for killing people. It was not my intent.
Damn, for a second there, I thought you were on my side. :(

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have to say something here.

If you're trying, even humorously, to compare the horror of having a child abducted and/or dismembered to the experience of playing a potentially buggy and glitchy video game...

Ah, who am I kidding. Some days it's a coin toss.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay!

Thanks everyone for attending the Jolt Country Experience. There'll be a quick survey for you to fill out as you exit the premises. It's certainly not mandatory, BUT if you complete it, we do have a $15 gift certificate to Chili's for you!

We'll be shutting down now.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

We don't have a gift shop, but you can buy some choice items from Garth on your way out.

It really is time to leave now, though.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I've decided that while we wait for ED to get finished, Drifter, even in Early Access, is actually better than I originally gave it credit for, and is the best way I've currently found to scratch the Space Tradin' Itch until we can visit more than five star systems in Elite, DAVID.

The main obstacle is coming to terms with the fact that it's actually a 2D game (with 3D graphics), and the embarrassing, woeful user interface (which is being overhauled, we're promised.)

Once you do that, you got 20,000 star systems to explore and make money on. The galactic map is pretty goddamn impressive.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I believe we need a Drifter thread!

I am actually impressed at how "together" Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle and Steam integrate. I hadn't redeemed my key for Drifter yet. (I was a backer.) It took two seconds and a couple clicks and I am now downloading it on Steam.

Yes. There needs to be a Drifter thread in this base.

RetroR

Post by RetroR »

Has Pinback mentioned that he has spent well over $300 on Elite? No? Has he also mentioned that I will also never lend him $300 again? No? OKAY

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

All the really cool kids are playing Deep Space Drifter!
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

pinback

Post by pinback »

RetroR wrote:Has Pinback mentioned that he has spent well over $300 on Elite? No? Has he also mentioned that I will also never lend him $300 again? No? OKAY
Both of these statements are false.

Well, the last statement is false.

Look, I spent over $2000 on StarCraft 2, so this is like, small potaters.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I let my wife read this thread because I had a laughing fit which caused hiccups.

Her response: "You have some sick-ass friends!"

THE
BRILLIANT WORK, EVERYONE!
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Elite 4

Okay, enough time has passed where I think I am going to make a real attempt at doing the training missions and learning how to play the game.

My internet speeds have been *so bad* lately that I don't think I can commit to playing with anyone.

I think I did the first training mission. I am not sure if it just queues up the next one or not, but I ended with shooting cannisters.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Btw, if someone wants this game, it's currently free to keep on Epic Store. https://www.epicgames.com/store

(Scroll down to "Free Games.")

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's also $7.50 on Steam and you avoid supporting the current title holder for biggest piece of shit company in gaming.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't understand your vitriol and hate for that place.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm worried that you all think I am being a petty, childish loser by posting what I did. I'd like to clarify:

1) Thank you for posting that, RealNC
2) I hope you continue to post about free games as the mood strikes you
3) I hope you didn't take my comment as denigrating what you wrote in any way.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am I don't understand your vitriol and hate for that place.
They offered DARQ a spot in their store but Epic said you gotta be an Epic exclusive.
DARQ guy said he didn't want to be.
Epic said fine, you can't be on our store at all then.

That's one example, there are a bunch of others. Making people get an Epic account to play Rocket League, when Rocket League was fine for 10 years.

There's more.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Those seem like minor offenses.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Okay but I want to make sure RealNC didn't think I was rude. Do you see what Epic is doing to me?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am It's also $7.50 on Steam and you avoid supporting the current title holder for biggest piece of shit company in gaming.
Epic has some serious issues. In order to put Fortnite up on the Apple Store for play on iPhone, iPad and other Apple devices, Epic had to agree to pay Apple a 30% surcharge on in-game purchases. Epic didn't like this - who would, seriously? - so with one of their updates, they enabled their own credit card processing, which, as is normal, costs about 3%. Apple found out, didn't like this, and told them to cool it, to disable their own credit card processing code and resume use of Apple Pay at a 30% charge. They said no, as a planned move. Apple removed both Fortnite and Unreal Engine from its store. Epic then sued Apple for a number of issues. Epic blundered here, by shooting itself in the foot. When Apple mandated a 30% charge, that's when Epic should have sued; they made themselves look bad by breaching their contract; they probably would have had a better case if they had allowed Apple to continue to collect and sued. Or refused to contract with Apple and sue over the terms of its license. Epic had a number of good arguments including that Apple has an unlawful monopoly since an apple device that has not been rooted (called "jailbreaking"), unlike Android, you can't "sideload" a program (install outside the Apple Store) the way you can load software on an Android device without having to go through the Google Play Store. The court Sided with Apple over Fortnite and the billing issues, however, the court ordered Apple to continue to allow Unreal Engine on its store since that did not breach its agreement. Epic tried to leverage Apple - a much larger company - through the huge interest customers have in Fortnite. Worst thing about this is Epic is a large enough company that it had the financial resources to stand up to Apple and its anti-competitive tactics and stand the huge cost of a lawsuit. But they screwed the pooch.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

It sees my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick as a GENERIC JOYSTICK, which I assure you it isn't. Are there joystick profiles floating around out there that you can upload? Right now it's saying stuff like "Hit JOY8" which is fine, but I don't have that memorized.