circuit's edge manual

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

circuit's edge manual

Post by Guest »

Hi! I saw a post from 2002 (if I'm not mistaken) where Ice Cream Jonsey said he would scan the manuals from Circuit's Edge, but apparently he never did it.

Hey, Ice Cream, do you think you'd still be motivated to do that? I know half a million (ok maybe not that much) people over the internetz will love you if you do.

Thanks!!!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is the manual really nowhere on-line? I don't want to do it if it's already out there. I am shocked that nobody else has ever scanned it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Post by Guest »

Well, I just started playing it for the first time and I looked everywhere for about an hour, and found only a text version. So yeah, afaik, you'll be our savior this time. :)

lotek

Post by lotek »

And hello from my just-registered persona!

lotek

Post by lotek »

Just curious: is there a map on it? Somebody made one (on Flickr of all places) but I can only use it if I know that something similar was provided with the game originally.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, there was a section that listed the various shops of the Budayeen -- so that was given to the gamer when they started to play it back in 1988 or 1989.

Thank you for trying to find the manual proper. I will take a look around and see if I can find my manual. I also saw the thread where I said I would scan it. It may take me 10 years to make good on the promise I made to all of you, but it's such a good game it needs the manual forever preserved.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Looks like you can pick up the Activision Power Hits: Sci Fi collection at Amazon for $14. It came with a book that regurgitated the Circuit's Edge manual (it isn't pretty but it's functional).

That's how I have it. In fact, I took a swing at scanning some pages for you, but it was kind of a pain to scan so I only did the directory/map pages. I don't remember what cloud storage sites I have an account on or where I could put it up, but I can e-mail it to whoever wants it.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Ice Cream Jonsey

I really gotta give back to the community and do it properly, and host the manual on textfiles.com. Please, everyone, keep bumping this thread. Don't allow me to forget!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

You could also upload it to http://www.replacementdocs.com/. That's been a useful site for me once or twice.

lotek

Post by lotek »

I also think replacementdocs.com is a better alternative. Apparently textfiles.com is only for, well, text files. Also:

Bump!

Flack

Post by Flack »

textfiles.com has way, way more on it than just textfiles. If you go to textfiles.com, look at the link at the bottom of the screen. There's a CD section, a PDF section, and several other sections.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

The persona behind Textfiles.com (Jason Scott) has also been pushing hard on making Archive.org friendly to Arcade and other types of computer / electronic enthusiasts...

http://archive.org/details/arcademanuals

I've been lurking through the archives for a while now and used their information on both Galaxian and Dragon Spirit for various video game related essays for school.

Also, the Circuit's Edge manual has been scanned in one capacity or another already..

http://www.abandoneer.com/games.php?gameid=90
http://www.old-games.com/download/1249/circuit-s-edge

Jonsey - its worth noting that this thread is the sixth result on Google.com for "circuit's edge manual" by the way, so maybe its still worth delivering? Perhaps a high resolution scan uploaded to the proper area of Archive.org or textfiles.com?

lotek

Post by lotek »

RetroRomper wrote:Also, the Circuit's Edge manual has been scanned in one capacity or another already..

http://www.abandoneer.com/games.php?gameid=90
http://www.old-games.com/download/1249/circuit-s-edge
I've tried those two links before and they only have text versions of the manual. Maybe OCR'ed or typed, I don't know. As far as I can tell, there isn't a single scanned PDF version on the internet. And the only map is this:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2614/3941 ... 7477_z.jpg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thank you for continuing to bump this thread. It is ridiculous that I still haven't done it.

STEP ONE: find the manual.

I have found the manual.

Step two is to bring it upstairs, and step three is to actually scan it. Step four, putting it on-line, will absolutely happen because there is no way I wouldn't do that.

I will do step two tonight as well.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is the weekend I take care of some shit. I am scanning the manual, mowing my lawn, fixing the toilet and boxing Roody's computer.

This is the weekend we get stuff done around here!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Every god damn day and night, my time is booked up with shit. I apologize to the Internet at large. I WILL scan this booklet. I WILL make a tribute site with Retro. I WILL solve the game.

Marid would want it that way.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I fixed the toilet.

I put Roody's PC in my car.

We're gonna ship that mother at the UPS Store tomorrow and have the manual scanned afterwards.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Finished When Gravity Fails (and snagged a few quotes for the tribute page) and spent an hour configuring DOS-Box to properly run Circuit's Edge: will play through the game soon and write the normal range of bios, profiles, etc. as I do.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am also excited to actually finish The Circuit's Edge. I got 20 years of fun out of the game. It is time I saw the ending.