Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Post by pinback »

IMPORTANT: never edit /etc/sudoers and only use visudo. if you don't know vi, you probably don't want to be poking that in the same way you don't want your neighbor to jet the carburetor on your lawn mower.
Clarification here: If you manually edit the file and screw up any of the syntax, it will be broken, and nobody can sudo. Which you need to do to edit that file. So unless you have the root password, you will NEVER SUDO AGAIN EVER.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

This is correct and I probably should have spelled that out. I have fucked that up TWICE this month and was saved each time by just happening to have a root shell in a different window to the thing I fucked. Don't be me, kids.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Got it, with great power comes great responsibility. Trust me, I don't hardly know what I'm doing when I start entering commands into the terminal window. I just copy and paste and hope it does what they say it does

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

That's... not STATISTICALLY the best choice. On the other hand none of these fucks can make a USB stick Just Work like Windows 98 so fuck it.

Don't believe in Desktop Linux, don't use Desktop Linux, I type letters into a tiny window in exchange for whisky and I kinda feel like I'm the one getting ripped off.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm This is correct and I probably should have spelled that out. I have fucked that up TWICE this month and was saved each time by just happening to have a root shell in a different window to the thing I fucked. Don't be me, kids.
This reminds me exactly of my situation when I was writing new code for XDPascal. Sometimes I'd have made a mistake so bad that not only would it not work, the compiler actually wouldn't even start. I had to save the entire source base to a backup directory, copy back the entire source code tree from the last commit, then use WinMerge to tell me what changes I made over the old code, which can be hundreds (or even thousands) of lines, then put them back one "block" at a time[1], then recompile and test. Sometimes that didn't work and I had to try a different tack, and move the current backup to backup2, moving the existing base to a new, empty, backup directory, and try again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

When I eventually ended up at Backup7, I said, "there's gotta be a better way," and I found it. I now understand why people do lots of commits to a source code tree. Each time you make a change, if it compiles clean, and the program still operates, you have Git commit that change, because if it doesn't work, a rollback is cheap and easy to do. And, you can remember why you changed 5 lines over 1/2 an hour a lot easier than why you changed 500 lines over three days.

---
[1] In this case, a "block" is: (a) comments; these are always harmless; (b) addition of new variables or new fields to a record; these (usually) don't cause a problem because old code doesn't know they're there; correctly designed code that is dependent on the size of a structure such as a record is "supposed to" use the SizeOf() built-in function to get the size of a structure, not hard-code the size; (c) deletion of old code; and (d) addition of new code.

The last two are the most dangerous because often the work being done is "atomic," either you put in all the changes or you can't put in any. And that sounds exactly like your situation. The only problem is, in your case, if you make a mistake, you don't get a mere compiler error or your compiler simply quits without doing anything, you get locked out of your system!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Finally cracked the code on my mom's Windows 10 machine!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ok, so I bought my #3 nephew's monster PC. I saw he was offering it for $125. Since I am moderately unhappy with the slowness of my peanut butter sandwich sized machine I bought his. Needed a new power supply. I already had one, didn't have the heart to toss it like I did with all the other mobos and shit. And I see that this machine will do BIOS and UEFI systems. My mini box wouldn't do BIOS so I could never put Win7 on it. Win 10 was the only Microsoft system available and screw THAT NOISE! Dug up a compatible 7 iso from (somewhere) with all the updates and already activated. Now I'm stuffing all my stuff in it. I feel better already.

THE
BACK TO NORMAL
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is the Linux experiment over?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

As long as all my operating systems stay activated the way they are now. I won't go down the Linux path any more. I'll keep it on my little sandwich pc for now but that's going into storage until I can think of a good use for it.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I just set up my machine to be able to dual boot into Windows or Ubuntu. I feel like the only reason to go into Windows is to play Windows-only games, but we'll see if I continue to agree with myself after a while.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:36 am I just set up my machine to be able to dual boot into Windows or Ubuntu. I feel like the only reason to go into Windows is to play Windows-only games, but we'll see if I continue to agree with myself after a while.
Yup! The only reason I turn on my Windows machine is to play a game or watch TV streams.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm watching TV streams on the other monitor from Ubuntu. It's streamin' like a motherfucker!

pinback

Post by pinback »

And I just tried running Dyson Sphere Program through Steam Play, and it ran flawlessly.

There is no reason to ever boot Windows again.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:36 am I just set up my machine to be able to dual boot into Windows or Ubuntu. I feel like the only reason to go into Windows is to play Windows-only games
Been doing exactly that for 15 years now. Nowadays, whenever I boot to Windows to play some demanding game, I'm more and more glad that I don't have to use this corporate shitshow of an OS anymore for anything other than games. My bootloader menu is:

1. Linux
2. Wintendo

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I need to use it for Photoshop. :-(
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

You really can't play games on here, that's my only "complaint", and it's not a complaint, since now instead of fretting over which game not to play it doesn't even come up and I'm able to focus on more important things.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 am
This is 7 years old. (Not that particular youtube video, but the actual recording.) Distribution of binaries is now much less of a problem. It's now up to application developers to make use of the new tools available to ship their software. Many still don't, and instead opt for the archaic "deb vs rpm" download option nonsense.

If desktop Linux sucks, it's certainly not because it's lacking binary distribution options. It sucks because application developers aren't using better tools to build their software.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:48 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 am
This is 7 years old. (Not that particular youtube video, but the actual recording.) Distribution of binaries is now much less of a problem. It's now up to application developers to make use of the new tools available to ship their software. Many still don't, and instead opt for the archaic "deb vs rpm" download option nonsense.

If desktop Linux sucks, it's certainly not because it's lacking binary distribution options. It sucks because application developers aren't using better tools to build their software.
Right! I saw something to this effect in the YouTube comments. I knew it was from 2014 but it is still one of my favorite talks. Torvalds is a much more likable dude to me than Gates, despite being a total asshole.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻