Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was running m00nb0t off of Raspian and a wireless connection and it was locking up every other day. While troubleshooting I disabled the WiFi and went back to wired and it hasn't locked up one since. I've only had to reboot him due to power outages here at the house.

m00nb0t on @#joltcountry
m00nb0t using Germany.EnterTheGame.Com ETG Germany Server
m00nb0t has been idle 327hrs 9mins 49secs, signed on Wed May 17 07:00:02
m00nb0t End of /WHOIS list.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

A wireless adapter is only as good as its driver and if your wireless device does not have a driver built into your distro of Linux, or has a driver for Linux on the sisc, you're [excrement] out of luck.

Same if your Linux distro does have a driver for a wireless adapter but the startup misreads your device as compatible with it, since drivers run as Ring 0 ultra-privileged code.

A lot of wireless device makers either already have their driver built into Windows or they include a disc. I've used 3 different USB wireless adapters on Windows which all worked perfectly and never once needed to install anything.

Tenda, in addition to being no install needed for Windows, was very good as far as Macintosh was concerned, I bought a $9 USB adapter, plugged it into my PowerPC 32 bit Mac Tower, but had to download a driver (via Ethernet) and afterward I was able to run it, not just headless, but with nothing connected except the Tenda and the power cord, thanks to VLC, allowing me to run it from a window on my Windows PC. Thirty feet away in the next room.

Linux has wired networking built in since that is pretty much standardized for all motherboard network chips or inserted NIC boards.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Good point. Flack, did you update your drivers? Adapters need drivers, Flack.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah. Well, it is fun to participate.

I do think there may be an issue with where the Linux computer is located. I suspect it gets hot. I am going to try to find a program that records the CPU temperature to a log file every 10 minutes. That way I can review.

Or, actually, I wonder if there's a USB thermometer? That might be better.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, huh. There is this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=1

I think I am going to get it! Thanks for inspiring me, Paul.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:Good point. Flack, did you update your drivers? Adapters need drivers, Flack.
I had the latest Linux drivers, but I didn't try any for the PowerPC 32 bit Mac. I'll try those next.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I downsized my main PC with a compact small-form PC running Solaris. The big hulking tower with the three hard drives and noisy fans is really too much for what I do here, so I downgraded. My mom needed to upgrade her machine in order to play Diablo 3 so I made her a nice gaming machine and took away her little PC.
Two gigs ram and a 3800+ AMD CPU. Linux runs quite well on it. It's so old I had to burn a DVD with the OS because it's bios doesn't support booting from USB. I stuck the thing behind my monitor and am very happy with the quiet and extra floor space.

THE
LITTLE
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

SOLARIS?!?!?!?!

...Why?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

RealNC suggested it on page 2 of this thread. Is there a better OS?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Solus, not Solaris.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Yeah, that one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Solrus?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Guess what version I'm installing now

THE
OF COURSE HE IS
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So the storms that blew through here yesterday must have bumped out our power. I was at work and we had a couple flickers there. It seems that a power spike somehow messed with Linux Mint. It would connect to my network but not connect to any websites. Weird.
I did the easiest thing and reinstalled the OS. I've learned to keep any emails on the RR...er, Spectrum server and all documents and files on my external hard drive. The drives in the tower are only for the OS and temporary files, just in case I need to wipe the whole thing... like now.

I see the use for an UPS now.

THE
COMMANDER WAS RIGHT
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

You place /home on a different partition, reinstall the OS, and have all your shit just there and safe.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Yeah, it's the same thing only different. I had this external drive sitting around. I was going to use it for movies and plug it right into my TV set but the TV can't handle two terabyte drives so it's useless. Instead I use it for any stuff I don't want messed up with a full reinstall. I just feel safer with that than a separate partition.

THE
THINK MY INTERNAL DRIVES
ARE GETTING FLAKY
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

I've lost two Raspberry Pi builds due to power outages. I'm not that familiar with Linux so I'm not sure if the OS is super-sensitive to power outages or if it has something to do with the OS running off an SD card.

AArdvark

Re: Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Post by AArdvark »

So I listened to the computer guys on Soundbytes fear-mongering the listeners about how Windows 7 will let all the hackers in after Microsoft stops supporting it. Then I listened to them tell how secure (relatively) Windows 10 is with all the updates and things.
So I installed 10 earlier today. I didn't like it when if forced itself into my life a year ago and (no surprise) I don't like it now. No Zune support at all. Slower then 7 on my machine. Couldn't even burn a backup DVD of my music folders, kept getting errors.
So I flushed out all the garbage and put Mint back in again.

Don't know why i keep doing this to myself.

THE
CAROUSEL OF OS
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So now the aging hard drives are beginning to fail on me. I'm attempting to run the OS on a 32gig micro sd card let's see if the hardware likes it. I'm really close to getting a Pi now.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

OK, got the system on the micro SD and also have a 32G thumb drive for storage. Nice and quiet, which is one of my goals. The HP machine I have it in doesn't recognize a mini card slot as a boot device so I have to ESC and select it every time I reboot. A small price to pay for something unusual (to me) like this.

THE
NO MOVING PARTS
AARDVARK