weird

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

weird

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Found this tonight:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.b ... com&rnum=1

Hopefully that'll become an URL.

Anyway. Apparently there was a usenet group called "alt.bbs.jolt-country" that existed at some point, back in the 90s. I had seen rumors of that effect before, but thing that I don't understand is:

1) I have no recollection of trying to start such a thing
2) I have no idea why Jolt Country would get created, and not one of the hundred thousand other bulletin boards out there
3) I don't even know how you go about making an alt.* group in the first place. I mean, I know that alt is pretty much the dumping ground of Usenet, but someone has to vote somewhere to "create" it, right?

I have attempted to see if alt.bbs.jolt-country still exists anywhere, but I can't find a news server that still has it. Do alt.* groups die after a while? I'd presume so.

Er, anyway. Rather spooky, if I do say so.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Being that alt.drinks.jolt only has 10 messages, I'd say that a JC newsgroup was probably created by one of the lusers...

Da King

Post by Da King »

I believe it was me that did that about 7 or 8 years ago. I wouldnt, for the life of me, remember how to create an alt.* newsgroup anymore, but I totally remember doing that, AND TELLING YOU ABOUT IT!