Inwards

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Inwards

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The other day, Flack said that his wife gets something like, what, 10x views when she posts something on TikTok versus YouTube. I have the numbers wrong, but I think she'll get 200 views on YouTube and 20,000 on TikTok?

When I signed up for Twitter, I was 35 years old. I did it specifically to "stay young" - Twitter was memed very quickly, along with Instagram, to be used for people to post pictures of themselves on the toilet or their breakfast or other nonsense. It never really stopped being used for nonsense. But I remember creating an account and using it for some insipid observations at first. Eventually, I can honestly say that some of the greatest jokes I've ever made in my life are ones that I have posted to Twitter. (At least the ones that make me laugh.)

And that's all it should have ever been used for. Making some jokes. Like many of you, I see so many kids just live their lives on it, and it makes me sad, because you are supposed to live your lives on BBSs and forums, natch.

A few of my friends are leaving because Musk bought Twitter and that's fair, he's a stupid, awkward narcissist. I posted on my mastodon account again (https://mastodon.gamedev.place/web/@icecreamjonsey) and that will never "take off" because of how inwards it is. Inwards.

I think I am ok looking inwards.

At one point, many years ago I wanted to be a "famous" game creator, then I saw what it did to people, or what the average internet rando did to people and I sort of backed away from that. For a while, my take has been, look, I write jokes on Twitter that I stand behind, if you don't want to follow it and get a chuckle twice a mont that's your problem. But it's more than that.

Nothing has made me feel better in life than spending time with my youngest nephew. That's pretty inwards. Tomorrow I am going to try to read with him. Offline. You can't get more inwards than that. Mastodon does give you a little more room to write something that isn't blog length, and Wordpress makes logging in awful enough that I have sort of given up the thought of posting anything to the "main page" of my two sites for a while.

And I definitely don't want to get on TikTok. The last few sites that I have gotten into (that aren't apps), I absolutely despise. Hell, I was posting on Quarter to Three recently. I am reaching the point where I am stepping back from what is out there as the world changes and I feel pretty okay with it.

The other part of my mid-life crisis is that I want to buy a Porsche.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Inwards

Post by Jizaboz »

Good luck on the Porsche purchase! They can be troublesome to fix but they are fun cars.

I won't have any fucking thing to do with TikTok. It's fucking annoying. I'll be sitting in a lobby with the bros waiting on the next Call of Dookie - Warzone match and one of them is always flipping thru videos instead of shooting the shit.. then randomly narrating a video he finds amusing.

Meanwhile, on Twitter I talk about fixing games, beach/waterpark fun, working on arcade games, and mainly paying attention to Japanese people doing the latter. Talk about politics or religion much? MUTE if I like you and unfollow if I don't. I really don't see why this is so hard. People freaking out about how somehow the "auto-comfort" algorithm (which may be removed soon it seems) should fix this are just lame. LAME. Learn how to change the channel and quit bitching FFS.

Sorry, went off a bit of on a "I miss the wild west Internet days" rant there. But yes man you are doing the right thing. Ultimately everything in real life is more important than Internet life. Internet life is no real life at all.. it's just a diary of sorts we leave behind when we are dead; and the saddest diaries of all are the ones without any exciting real life events.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pm The other day, Flack said that his wife gets something like, what, 10x views when she posts something on TikTok versus YouTube. I have the numbers wrong, but I think she'll get 200 views on YouTube and 20,000 on TikTok?
You fail basic arithmetic. If she gets 200 views on YouTube, 10x is 2,000 on TikTok. It would only be 20,000 if TikTok got 100x the views of YouTube.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pm When I signed up for Twitter...t I remember creating an account and using it for... jokes... I see so many kids just live their lives on it, and it makes me sad, because you are supposed to live your lives on BBSs and forums, natch.
(Crotchety old man's voice): Those daw-gone kids and their new-fangled horseless carriages. Damn things are stupid; You have to stay awake to use them. Put a good horse on a buckboard, you can take a nap and the old nag knows the way to go home. Those aw-toe-moh-beels are just a fad, they'll never replace a good draft horse.

And that tel-a-ve-shun; radio with pictures? Why would you need to see anything when listening to the radio? You's supposed to use your imagination!
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pmThe other part of my mid-life crisis is that I want to buy a Porsche.
Pro tip: check which models tend to retain or increase in value over time. You might be able to get it for free or make money, by keeping it in pristine condition when using it, the result being you could "flip" it to someone who wants one but couldn't get it because the supply is limited. People with the credit and income to afford payments on one will lease a Lambo or McLaren, after a year, the demand is so strong they can sell it for more than they paid in payments and insurance, paying off the lease, making money on the deal. If leasing doesn't work for you because a purchase makes more sense, you could then buy it.

Second Pro Tip: If you buy/lease a high-end car like a Porche, Lamborghini, or McLaren, you do want gap insurance; it will pay the difference between what your car's depreiated value and what you owe. In an accident that totals a car, without gap the difference could be 10, 20 grand.

Two things: don't buy gap insurance from the dealer, they will charge too much. And do not take gap insurance from the insurance company providing collision and comprehensive; get it from some other company, the price will probably be similar to what your insurer would charge.

The reason you do this is, if your car gets $25,000 in damage - including frame damage - and the depreciated value is $20,000, and you owe $45,000, your insurer will total the car, and pay you the $20,000. You go to your gap insurer, and they pay the $25,000 you owe. You're made whole.

On the other hand, remember, insurance companies are greedy; they will try to save money if they can, even if it's not in your best interest. In the example accident above, if you have comprehensive/collision/gap from the same company, they're on the hook for $45,000. So instead, they'll pay the $25,000 to repair the car. You now have what is effectively a badly damaged car with $25,000 in repaired damage that should have been totaled instead, and you still owe $45,000 on it, which by no stretch of the imagination it is worth. You are not made whole.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Paul's posts are the palate cleanser between sips of fine wine.

THE
AJAX COCKTAIL
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:44 amGood luck on the Porsche purchase! They can be troublesome to fix but they are fun cars.
It probably won't happen but also I saw that the base Carrera that comes with a stick is only like 300 HP. That's almost what my car has now. So what would I really be doing. I also think that for what a single payment is, you can rent cars for a day or weekend out here. Maybe that is what I want to do. This is why it is a crisis.
I won't have any fucking thing to do with TikTok. It's fucking annoying. I'll be sitting in a lobby with the bros waiting on the next Call of Dookie - Warzone match and one of them is always flipping thru videos instead of shooting the shit.. then randomly narrating a video he finds amusing.
Right. The ONLY person I allow to "show me videos" on their "phone" is my wife and that is essentially because I can be difficult to work with. She is the only person in the universe that gets that privilege.
Meanwhile, on Twitter I talk about fixing games, beach/waterpark fun, working on arcade games, and mainly paying attention to Japanese people doing the latter. Talk about politics or religion much? MUTE if I like you and unfollow if I don't. I really don't see why this is so hard. People freaking out about how somehow the "auto-comfort" algorithm (which may be removed soon it seems) should fix this are just lame. LAME. Learn how to change the channel and quit bitching FFS.
Yes, you are one of the few people that do Twitter correctly. It is a shame you did not have $50 billion laying around to top the offer, you would have been a better steward. (I have a $20 on me, so it would not have been all you in that timeline.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!