So, what happens after you die?

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: So, what happens after you die?

Post by pinback »

Did we get an answer to the question, by the way? Can we wrap this one up?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm Did we get an answer to the question, by the way? Can we wrap this one up?
Ben, I want to look more at your answer. I think what you are saying is we remain part of a universal consciousness, and our looking at this world caused us to believe we're a separate entity from that consciousness. But, does the information we collect and the process (you, having done programming would understand proocesses) still remain?

Like when a uniprocessor computer task switches, the particular process running your terminal, or batch job, is just bookkeeping, there isn't really a separate process, it's all the same execution handling all the jobs on the computer, and when a job ends, the system accounting files are updated (if accounting is used), but the bookkeping entries are just data records and are just repurposed for the next job.

Is your idea something like this? Or am I again completely off? Remember, I said no cracks (no insulting of someone else's opinion). I simply want to explore, and possibly understand what your idea is.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:44 pm
pinback wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm Did we get an answer to the question, by the way? Can we wrap this one up?
Ben, I want to look more at your answer. I think what you are saying is we remain part of a universal consciousness
Ultimately, I am saying there is no "we" to remain or not. I am specifically answering the question in the title of this thread. But I appreciate your inquisitiveness!
and our looking at this world caused us to believe we're a separate entity from that consciousness.
That's right. There is a thought/feeling that "I am", but the "I" is mis-attributed to a conceptual, fictional separate entity subject to and apart from the consciousness, rather than the consciousness itself.
But, does the information we collect and the process (you, having done programming would understand proocesses) still remain?
You are asking what changes or remains after a certain event in time (our death), and I am asserting that the event never occurs. You believe the event occurs because you've identified with the body you see below you, and bodies stop working after a while.
Like when a uniprocessor computer task switches, the particular process running your terminal, or batch job, is just bookkeeping, there isn't really a separate process, it's all the same execution handling all the jobs on the computer, and when a job ends, the system accounting files are updated (if accounting is used), but the bookkeping entries are just data records and are just repurposed for the next job.
That might be a reasonable metaphor, but I feel like you're still trying to find something in there we can draw a circle around and call "me" so we can find out what happens to it after it dies. However, if this is as far down the rabbit hole as we get, and this is common ground we can land on together, then I consider this discussion a rousing success.
Is your idea something like this?
To be clear, I am not talking about ideas, or theories. I am describing ultimate truth to you. What are the characteristics of ultimate truth? It (and only it) is plainly verifiable in every moment -- and indeed, there is no multiplicity of moments, there is only this. And all there ever is, is the current appearance of consciousness. Nothing inside or outside of it to experience it. No one there at all.

Since this truth is ultimate, you can verify it yourself, at any time, in any circumstance, by asking what I call the most interesting question. Do not let the mind kill the question with a conceptual answer, a belief. Ask deeply.

Thank you for your time, Commander.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I wish there were facts instead of truths, I'd sleep better

pinback

Post by pinback »

Facts deal with the relative, truths with the absolute.

Fact: Darth Vader was Luke's father. Truth: There was only the movie screen.

Facts tie you in knots. The truth will set you free.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am
Jizaboz wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Man, I wish there was someone here asking about the computer and NAS!
We backing up with a Buffalo NAS.
Lookin good with a Buffalo NAS.
Dammit Jiz, don't get fresh with me.

Get fun-ky.
Don’t you know he a gigolo!?

<daa daa da da daa daa!>
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻