I'm out

Text Adventures / General Discussion / Video Games. 2018 Update - after registering, the best way to get approved is to post as a guest in Orc's Head.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

User avatar
Billy Mays
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Re: I'm out

Post by Billy Mays » Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 am
Earlier, one of them asked if she could have one of the (medium size) bags of Starburst Flav-o-Reds Flack sent me. I had like half a jar and two bags; I said okay. .
The staff is asking you to give them some of your Starburst? For real? Like, not an individually wrapped piece of candy, which would be bad enough, but a whole bag?

They should absolutely be fired for even asking. Holy shit.
Well, the problem is that these are Starburst Minis, which are packed unwrapped.
No, the problem is they shouldn't be asking at all, or stealing them when they think you're asleep. It is something they can easily acquire for themselves and is a difficult to acquire luxury/gift from your friends for you.

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by Tdarcos » Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 am

pinback wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:01 pm
I'm very popular and well-liked. Go ahead, everyone, tell him.
Popular? Yeah, the way covid-19 is. Well-liked/ Again, about as much as covid-19.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by Tdarcos » Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 am


The staff is asking you to give them some of your Starburst? For real? Like, not an individually wrapped piece of candy, which would be bad enough, but a whole bag?

They should absolutely be fired for even asking. Holy shit.
Well, the problem is that these are Starburst Minis, which are packed unwrapped.
No, the problem is they shouldn't be asking at all, or stealing them when they think you're asleep. It is something they can easily acquire for themselves and is a difficult to acquire luxury/gift from your friends for you.
Whether they should, or shouldn't be, they do, and if I have plenty I don't mind giving some away when they ask. I have never seen anything "go missing" except for some unimportant items not worth stealing that were part of my possessions but didn't get returned when my room was cleaned.

I do not sleep on a regular schedule. I sleep when my body decides I'm tired, I awake when my body says I've had enough rest. Instead of sleeping six hours, I might sleep 3, be awakr for 4-8, then sleep for 3 again. Or instead of 8 I ight getm 3, 3, 1, 1 in whatever order at such times as my brain decides is warranted. I neither try to stay awake, nor do I try to sleep when I'm not tired.

In short, it would be really difficult for someone to figure out a good time to catch me asleep. 2AM? "Oh, hi!" 3:30 am "Hello." 4:30 am "Good morning." 1 Am? "Morning." in short, I'm never on the same schedule and my sleeping pattern is unpredictable.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

User avatar
Billy Mays
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Re: I'm out

Post by Billy Mays » Sat May 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 am
Billy Mays wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 am

Well, the problem is that these are Starburst Minis, which are packed unwrapped.
No, the problem is they shouldn't be asking at all, or stealing them when they think you're asleep. It is something they can easily acquire for themselves and is a difficult to acquire luxury/gift from your friends for you.
Whether they should, or shouldn't be, they do
It's not whether they should or shouldn't, they flat out shouldn't do it. It's immoral, unprofessional, and unethical. Even if you offer, they should still politely decline, thank you, and call you an endearing name like sugar, honey, or papa bear.

It would be like if someone was eating at Jerry's Subs and Pizza and one of the serving staff came by their table and asked them:

"Are you going to eat that?" (as opposed to "Are you actually going to eat that?" which would be a pretty understandable reaction).

Only worse because they are medical staff charged with the care of a resident.

User avatar
Billy Mays
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Re: I'm out

Post by Billy Mays » Sat May 30, 2020 2:51 pm

I just purchased a bag of those resealable starburst minis because I like starburst/hate unwrapping starburst as well and I have to say I am a bit let down. They're not really mini starburst, but something between a starburst and a chewy spree after the spree gets really chewy from being in your mouth for a minute. Still not bad, but not really great either.

7/10

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Sun May 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Flack wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:16 pm
"The powers of manipulation that [Charles] Manson used on his followers were honed in prison when he took a class based on “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” the 1936 book by self-help guru Dale Carnegie, according to the biography “Manson.”" (LINK)
Well, like any other skill, things can be used for good or evil. Nothing unique or different about that.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Sun May 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:44 pm
Pinback. Every last one of his posts was a gift to read when he was both extremely fat and always drunk. I'm pretty sure you on the other hand have already secured my MVP vote...And if you happen to be one of pinback's alts then I will boil my day old socks and eat them because wow you really got one over on me, unlike his Flying Carp alt account.
Ha. To be fair to all of us, when I used to drink I was just as funny as Pinback, sometimes funnier. There seems to be something about the combination of obesity and alcohol that makes people a spoecial kind of bitter and sarcastic. But now neither of us drinks anymore and he is no longer fat though I still am.

As far as I can tell I am not one of PInback's alts. I think that having said I'm as funny as he is underlines that fact, because he would never say such a thing, alt or not.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
Billy Mays
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Re: I'm out

Post by Billy Mays » Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 pm

Finsternis wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:26 pm
There seems to be something about the combination of obesity and alcohol that makes people a spoecial kind of bitter and sarcastic.
I think when he was in his sweet spot it was 10% due to the alcohol and 90% the fat. I remember when he quit drinking, and while there was a significant drop off in the quality of his posts, he was still pretty much spot on. Like the saying goes when you lose that much weight it's like losing an entire person, I wish it was somehow possible to have saved the person he lost and had them post here. 160 pounds of pure unadulterated pinback, a monstrous mound of animated human fat spewing all sorts of hatred, it would have been something special if it were possible...

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am

Finsternis wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:26 pm
Ha. To be fair to all of us, when I used to drink I was just as funny as Pinback, sometimes funnier.
You're funnier than me in the same way that you're more of a weight-loss expert.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Finsternis wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:26 pm
Ha. To be fair to all of us, when I used to drink
You mean you weren't PWI/PUI (Posting While Intoxicated/Posting Under the Influence)? You were that level of rude and nasty while sober? I am (pretending to be) shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:25 pm

pinback wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am
You're funnier than me in the same way that you're more of a weight-loss expert.
I know more about it than you do, but you're much better at the execution and discipline part than I am.

Let's say I (who hasn't played golfs since high school) met up with Tiger Woods and he agreed to tell ma all about his golf secrets. He describes to me every tip and technique he's ever learned. But I don't do them because I can't play golf well. Then I meet up with you, or with someone who does play golf, and pass on some of his tips. Now, they are tips that I can't do myself, but they came from an recognized expert. Would you be right to laugh at those tips just because I personally can't do them? Does that make them less valuable?

You are confusing knowledge and ability. They are different things. Just because I lack the ability does not mean my information is wrong.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Finsternis wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:25 pm
e confusing knowledge and ability. They are different things. Just because I lack the ability does not mean my information is wrong.
Yes! Your information is always on-point, and your execution of everything is terrible.

You have summed up yourself magnificently.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:39 pm

pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm
Yes! Your information is always on-point, and your execution of everything is terrible.
Well, I was only talking about weight loss in this specific instance. Though admittedly there are not too many things I think I'm really good at.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Weight loss in particular, you have all of the information in the world, but hand-wave over the fact you suck at it, attributing it to some vague notion of "discipline" or "willpower", and still have yet to figure out that if you want to lose weight, the metabolic science is almost the least important thing.

But all of the other topics too, yes. You know everything, and can't do anything. And alienate everyone you talk to immediately, and then wear it as a badge of honor because they're just not smart enough to understand how brilliant you are.

You're a disaster.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm

pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm
still have yet to figure out that if you want to lose weight, the metabolic science is almost the least important thing.
Untrue. It's not the only thing, but it is a very important thing. As usual, you are getting all judgemental and thinking "If I can do it, anyone can do it, and since he has trouble, he must be flawed." That's pretty laughable. Not everyone is capable of achieving the same things. You can achieve some things I can't. I can achieve some things you can't. Simply succeeding at something hardly makes one an expert. Is Donald Trump successful? He became president and you didn't, so that must mean you're " a disaster", right? Should we take life advice from him because he did something we haven't? Are you as good at basketball as someone how plays a lot? No? I guess old "Disaster Ben" is just an awful person.

Just because you successfully lost weight does not make you a guru on the subject. So get off your fucking high horse about it. Many people have done the same, using many different tools. Your way is not the only way.

And now you're goaded me into getting angry, and will read this, and think smugly to yourself "Haha everyone is right about Doug, he really sucks." And you will completely forget that you provoked me. As Paul says, you sneer down your nose at everyone, and think you can get away with insulting them, then pretend that you didn't. What makes you think you can tell someone "you're a disaster" and then not expect them to disagree?

You don't even seem to realize that while you call me names and say I'm a jerk, you ignore the other people here being jerks. And, worst of all, you think *you* are some kind of Almighty God Of Wisdom, justified in judging everyone else here. You post more snotty, asshole comments than I do, that's for sure - at everyone, not just one person, as I did. So I advise you to not throw stones in your glass house. I never see you say nice things. I never see you apologize. Or be encouraging. Or, really, treat anyone anything other than the sarcasm and disdain you hide behind.

Hell, you never even write anything meaningful or interesting. Your average post s about one line long - one line of meanness, sarcasm, contempt, judgement, and so on. At least the rest of us are capable of stringing together more than a couple sentences, or saying something with substance. But you? You can't be bothered. We're not important enough for you to actually, you know say anything with substance, something that might reveal something about yourself. You're just going to ignore everything I say her and post a one or two-line response and laugh at how clever you think you are.
pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm
But all of the other topics too, yes. You know everything, and can't do anything.
Really? Such as....?
pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm
And alienate everyone you talk to immediately, and then wear it as a badge of honor because they're just not smart enough to understand how brilliant you are.
Wow, you know me SO WELL! It's a miracle that you have the resources to follow me around and know every detail of my life - who I talk to, how they react, and so on. Amazing! I must just be imagining the huge slew of people who I love, who love me, all the friends I have would would help me move a body, all the great relationships I've had with co-workers, etc. But noooo - Ben thinks I "alienate everyone I talk to"! Wow! Full of yourself much?

Why the fuck do you care so much about my weight, anyways? Is it just a pathetic attempt to feel superior, since there is no other way in which you are superior to me? Why don't you pester Paul about the way he's purposely killing himself? Compared to him, I'm fucking Charles Atlas.
pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm

You're a disaster.
Hey, nice to see how all that mindfulness reading you supposedly did really caught on! Guess you skipped the parts about kindness and empathy, eh? I've been mean and unkind to exactly one person here, and you feel that's enough to judge me and my whole life? Nice! I mean, hey, I'm a Buddhist, but as you can see I'm far from perfect at it. I still get mad sometimes. But I try a lot harder than you to to follow some kind of ethical code, something you don't even know the meaning of. I treat deserving people well. I engage with the world and with others. You sit smugly on the sidelines, taking potshots at anyone, no matter how hurtful. I will not do the same. I'm doing a far, far better job of living according to a code of ethics than you are. I may send insults sometimes, but when I do I have reasons.

And, of course, I laugh at you saying I'm a "disaster". I have had, and still have, a life just about anyone would envy. In fact just about the only thing I'd change about my life would be to lose weight. And even then, I'm not all that upset about it. It would be nice, and I try, but if that's the worst thing in my life, I'm cool with that. I quite literally have everything a person needs to have a happy, fulfilling life and that's what I'm doing. I guess you're jealous of that.

There are a lot of really mean, cruel things I could say here, but I won't. I am really trying to keep our interactions on the board not personal. If you want to have it out publicly tooth and nail, I can do that, but it would make neither of us happy. It's up to you. I know you never valued our friendship (if it ever existed at all), but maybe spend some time thinking about the feelings of someone besides yourself for once.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Go far, far away. We hate you like poison.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 pm

pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:54 pm
Go far, far away. We hate you like poison.
Yeah, as I suspected - the truth hurts.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Please leave. You've brought this community together like no one else ever has, and we thank you for it. Most of our private conversations are about how to get you to go away. We stand in solidarity, after twenty years of infighting. You've done a mitzvah, and we are forever indebted.

Now go far, FAR away.

We hate you like poison.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

User avatar
Finsternis
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: I'm out

Post by Finsternis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:17 pm

pinback wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:54 pm
Go far, far away. We hate you like poison.
What's the matter, you can dish it out but can't take it? Despite the fact that in the middle of lecturing me about behavior and claiming I'm a bad person, you said "you're a disaster"? So, let me get it straight - you are allowed to insult other people, but other people can't point out your negative traits? We have two whole threads about "what's wrong with...?" but no one can say what's wrong with you?

I realize that now you or someone else will start a thread named "What's wrong with Pinback?", and no one will say anything (just to prove me wrong, not because they can't think of anything) and then you will feel validated because being revered here is such an ego-stroke for you and a large part of your sense of self worth. "hey, I might be a judgemental hypocrite, but I'm a cool guy because people on a BBS like me!".
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14276
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm out

Post by pinback » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Go away.

I promised these people I could get you to leave. Don't make me out to be a liar!
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Post Reply