Coronavirus Adventures

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Re: Coronavirus Adventures

Post by Jizaboz »

Moonshine. Mountain Dew was originally marketed as something to make like of rednecks making moonshine.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:53 pm Have you considered that maybe tensions on the ole home front could be dissolved a little bit with the great taste of Mountain Dew?
As a lifelong teetotaler, and a long time connoisseur of Mountain dew, even I'll admit, the only way Mountain Dew is going to dissolve tensions is with the addition of copious amounts of grain alcohol. Or in keeping with the theme of the message above this one, moonshine, whatever that is based on.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:34 ammoonshine, whatever that is based on.
Corn. Though rye was used in the past when Corn was not as plentiful.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Billy Mays wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 am Though rye---
'Course you do!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 am
Rye not?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:08 am
Billy Mays wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 am
Rye not?
Ha, good one!

It takes a considerable amount of work to transform mostly untouched wilderness into something suitable to grow corn. Rye is almost like a weed, you can throw a handful of seeds blindly anywhere and come back to harvest it later on that week. When Europeans first came here, the predominant grain used for whiskey was rye for that reason. It switched to predominantly corn as it became more available, cheaper, and people desired a sweeter spirit (rye generally speaking creates a peppery spirit).

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Alcohol was in part a way to store foodstuffs long term, and second, to find a way to numb the pain of life in the 16th Century.

People (probably mostly men) made beer as a way to use up excess grain that they couldn't bake into bread fast enough. Beer lasts longer than bread, and has at least one "feature" you can obtain by consuming lots of it, that you won't get no matter how much bread you eat.

The process of fermentation kills bacteria, which is why it is safe to drink beer bottled in Mexico using tap water without getting Montezuma's revenge.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 am Alcohol was in part a way to store foodstuffs long term, and second, to find a way to numb the pain of life in the 16th Century.

People (probably mostly men) made beer as a way to use up excess grain that they couldn't bake into bread fast enough. Beer lasts longer than bread, and has at least one "feature" you can obtain by consuming lots of it, that you won't get no matter how much bread you eat.

The process of fermentation kills bacteria, which is why it is safe to drink beer bottled in Mexico using tap water without getting Montezuma's revenge.
No. No, none of this is true.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 amAlcohol was in part a way to store [INSERT BLAH BLAH BLAH HERE]
I'm going to get the shirts made come hell or high water, but now that I'm actually reading Mr. Robbinson's posts, my enthusiasm is more than a little drained.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He saw a documentary on this subject, don't contradict him and his 130 super- genius IQ

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 am Alcohol was in part a way to store foodstuffs long term, and second, to find a way to numb the pain of life in the 16th Century.

What are we going to do with all this food didn't become a problem until industrialization. People back then drank because it's fun, that has always been the reason people drink.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 am

No. No, none of this is true.
"Both alcohols, ethyl and isopropyl, can kill several bacteria in 10 seconds or fewer" - Dr. Frank Bures. Winna Daily News, https://www.winonadailynews.com/news/lo ... f887a.html

"Ancient Nubians had used beer as an antibiotic medicine." - "History of beer," Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

Now, I said that consuming lots of beer has one feature you do not get from eating lots of bread. Clearly I was implying the ability to get drunk. Are you saying that is not the case, that people do not get drunk if they consume several beers?

Are you also saying people did not get drunk in the 16th c. in order to escape the pains of a meager subsistence existience?

Before you proceed to dismiss everything I say, you might want to actually read it, or see if it has a factual base to support the claims made.

Ice Cream Jonsey

All of those entries on Wikipedia were written by Essjay.

But the "pain" of existence in the 16th Century isn't something that makes logical sense. You're only considering it painful because you live in the 21st Century. That's like saying that people drink now to escape the pain of our century because in 400 years it will be better. The future has not happened yet.

"But I know what it would be like." -- Ryan Jordan

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

If you don't think people drank to escape their troubles (escape the pains of living) in the 16th century, consider this: our elections were historically held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday. This makes the earlies an election can occur is the second of the month, for a month starting on Monday. And the 8th is the latest in a month starting on Tuesday.

This overly complicated system was intentional. Elections mustt not happen on the 1st, because white, male, landowners (the only people who could vote) would be busy closing the previous moth's accounts, and could not afford to stop to hitch up the wagon and run the teem or a horse a couple hours up and back.

And they wanted elections on Tuesday, because your typical godfearing Christian/Deist respectable white male landholder would be too hungover on Monday after binge drinking all weekend to be able to see properly.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:24 pm If you don't think people drank to escape their troubles (escape the pains of living) in the 16th century, consider this: our elections were historically held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday.
Our elections were historically held 200 fucking years after whatever you are talking about, when we were actually a country. I'm assuming everything else you wrote is wrong as well.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

(escape the pains of living) in the 16th century, consider this: our elections
That is quite a jump, from the 1500s to the late 1700s. There should be a timeline documenting this.

THE
NOT STRAIGHT
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

You're right, I made a mistake, I meant the 1700s, which is the 18th century. Hey, cut me a little slack, I'm taking medications for Parkinson's disease! I have a somewhat broken brain. ("But we've known that for years!")

(Sung to the tune of "Drunken Sailor:)
What can you do with a broken bra-ain
Ear-ly in the mornining?

Brains! Brains!

What do vegan zombies cry out for? Grains! Grains!

Now what was I talking about? My busted brain? Naah, can't happen I never ramble - hey, does anyone remember the car called the Rambler? - nor do I go off on tangents. Yes, a protractor or compass are good for drawing tangents and angles.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:53 am You're right, I made a mistake, I meant the 1700s, which is the 18th century. Hey, cut me a little slack, I'm taking medications for Parkinson's disease! I have a somewhat broken brain. ("But we've known that for years! And why do you think it's only 'somewhat broken?")

(Sung to the tune of "Drunken Sailor:)
Ear-ly in the mornining?

Brains! Brains!

What do vegan zombies cry out for? Grains! Grains!

Now what was I talking about? My busted brain? Naah, can't happen I never ramble - hey, does anyone remember the car called the Rambler? - nor do I go off on tangents. Yes, a protractor or compass are good for drawing tangents and angles.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

My brain is sooooo broken...
(Audiece shouting) HOW BROKEN IS IT?!
My brain is so broken, I have no idea how I quoted and saved the last message, And it's so broken I forgot to put a "BLANK" in for the contestant to give an (often risque) answer, as was done on the Match Game.

Some challenges would be too blatant for TV. Like this one, which would be spoken. "When asked to mame an object that is hard, cyrlindrical, and full of seamen, he said ________." The obvious answer would be "penis" but the also correct answer would be "a submarine."