Coronavirus Adventures

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

ChainGangGuy

Re: Coronavirus Adventures

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Is anyone else finding the reports of purported symptoms to be rather unhelpful? Loss of taste and smell as well as occurrences of diarrhea. Going through years of sometimes expired impulse purchases and an overabundance of popcorn, frozen meals, fast food sauce packets and canned slop have totally wrecked my sense of taste and left me with a brown river pouring from of my backside.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

ChainGangGuy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 am Is anyone else finding the reports of purported symptoms to be rather unhelpful? Loss of taste and smell as well as occurrences of diarrhea. Going through years of sometimes expired impulse purchases and an overabundance of popcorn, frozen meals, fast food sauce packets and canned slop have totally wrecked my sense of taste and left me with a brown river pouring from of my backside.
Good point. Yeah, reading some of these reports on what it's like indicated that I've been battling this disease for 30 years.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

So I was all set to post a complaint that the virus has shut down something sacred: Slurpees. At least here in CA where we're under lockdown, all of the 7-11's have signs up that the self serve drinks are closed and have taken down all of the cups and straws. I even took a picture of the sign and was going to complain about this but yesterday I said to the clerk: "let me ask a stupid question, if the Slurpees are closed then why are the machines running and if so when it opens in a few weeks are you going to sell 3 week old slurpees?" The clerk said, "so do you want a slurpee? We only have medium cups" and then not promptly served me up one.

So here's a coronavirus hack: you can still have Slurpees but you have to ask for one and wait an awful long time for the middle eastern employee to get around to serving one.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Zoombombing? Seriously?

Molly Muffsweet

Post by Molly Muffsweet »

There's a clock displaying the day and date on your smartphone telling you what day and date it currently is. However, "What day is it even?" is still a very fine post if you feel like that's relative to tirelessly repeat.

Now, tell me, where I can find your album of cutesy animal filter selfies?

Only the Sweetest,

Molly Muffsweet.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Muffsweet is back! Is there anything sweeter?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

We're all so thoroughly fucked...

"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Nah man. The WHO is basically the CHINESE Health Organization lately. Look up that Taiwan censorship BS. This isn't according to Trump at all. It's according to the Japanese president; which, of course is also getting shit because he made videos of himself at home watching TV. No leader wins in this situation. No one of power ultimately "wins".
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

So... Now seems like a nice time to point out I live in NOO-YAWK CITY and take questions.

How am _I_ doing? GLAD YOU ASKED! I think I've had the same pyjamas on for 2 weeks and I haven't mustered the energy to check in here since this started. We're up to ten thousand dead peoples, but it seems like we're NOT going to run out of hospital beds and TELL people they can go die in the street, we just let poor people figure that part out on their own when we ask for payment before keeping them alive.

Food is surprisingly OK. We have been making a lot of focaccia.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:47 pmFood is surprisingly OK. We have been making a lot of focaccia.
I was hoping this was seasoned dead poor people...it's just bread. :sad:

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:47 pm So... Now seems like a nice time to point out I live in NOO-YAWK CITY and take questions.

How am _I_ doing? GLAD YOU ASKED! I think I've had the same pyjamas on for 2 weeks and I haven't mustered the energy to check in here since this started. We're up to ten thousand dead peoples, but it seems like we're NOT going to run out of hospital beds and TELL people they can go die in the street, we just let poor people figure that part out on their own when we ask for payment before keeping them alive.

Food is surprisingly OK. We have been making a lot of focaccia.
Oh wow man. I read this with "FEAR - I Love Living in the City" playing in my brain.

- Are you really wearing the same clothes for so long? If so, why? Do you not have a washer and dryer in your residence?

- How is the meat situation out there? Are you still seeing fresh beef, chicken, and pork? Only one or 2 of the 3?

- Are nearly all people wearing masks in public there like in Tokyo? If so, actual masks or some home-made bullshit?

- Craziest thing you've seen first hand? People freaking out over a last package of something, whatever.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm Oh wow man. I read this with "FEAR - I Love Living in the City" playing in my brain.
I grew up with this version.

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm Are you really wearing the same clothes for so long? If so, why? Do you not have a washer and dryer in your residence?
I thought everybody was doing this? Why change clothes? I've been wearing an Atari shirt for three days now. Haven't left the house in five.
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm Are nearly all people wearing masks in public there like in Tokyo? If so, actual masks or some home-made bullshit?
Several cities in Oklahoma (including El Reno, the place I took ICJ and Aardvark to eat onion burgers) have made masks mandatory. El Reno is writing $100 fines to people caught outdoors without a mask on.
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm Craziest thing you've seen first hand? People freaking out over a last package of something, whatever.
A super fat guy wearing an Atari shirt for three days in a row.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hahaha ok in your defense I also sometimes do 3 days but that is max! I cannot stand to smell myself after that.

The mandatory masks thing is just crazy to me. UNLESS they are being handed out by the city. Otherwise, there is nowhere to buy them so..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm
Oh wow man. I read this with "FEAR - I Love Living in the City" playing in my brain.

- Are you really wearing the same clothes for so long? If so, why? Do you not have a washer and dryer in your residence?

- How is the meat situation out there? Are you still seeing fresh beef, chicken, and pork? Only one or 2 of the 3?

- Are nearly all people wearing masks in public there like in Tokyo? If so, actual masks or some home-made bullshit?

- Craziest thing you've seen first hand? People freaking out over a last package of something, whatever.
I have a somewhat working pay washer and dryer down 4 flights of stairs that costs more than the laundromat charges for wash n' fold, so fuck that. I could wear other clothes but why bother? I mean, I could also shower if we're going to go that far.

We don't eat a lot meat. I just sous-vided a 4lb corned beef from the last Fresh Direct order we got through. Supermarket seems totally normal at 1am both stock and people-wise (...for an all night supermarket, in NYC), which is the BEST time to shop because they just finished restocking and everyone else is asleep. Otherwise the lines in the afternoon are about 30 people and 100 yards long. Anecdotally a friend paid $6 for a head of cabbage which is insane. Ours was normal-priced(? I don't shop around much)

I'd say %40-%60 were wearing masks until the order came down yesterday that you MUST wear a damn mask, which pushed it up a bit. Masks are all over the place, since a surgical mask is worthless after one use so lots of bandannas and scarves.

Haven't been going anywhere near people, so no crazy stories. I mean, the streets are empty so the ICY HOTT STUNTAZ are just racing ATVs and dirtbikes in packs all over the fucking place, but that is sporadic. Otherwise just a constant stream of ambulance visits to the nursing home next door. The only other thing out and about is that fucking Amazon Prime van. It's a quiet street normally so it's just the same people walking their dogs. Get a block over to the commercial street and it's about %25 the activity you would expect.

You can get an order of meatballs and a bottled negroni from a sidewalk to-go window while walking the dog, so I guess that means this is all a decent tradeoff.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Damn, starting Wednesday the counties I live and work in are requiring everyone to wear masks outside, and at some point the police start giving tickets for not. We're stuck working at home, there's no way we're going to be riding public transit back to work anytime soon. I can't imagine what 6 feet distance from everyone looks like on a bus or train, probably looks like huge lines of people six feet apart all the way to safeway to get on a train that can carry 15 people.

https://abc7news.com/health/here-are-th ... s/6111369/

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hahaha, the masks, so.

I ordered and had delivered groceries to my parents on Thursday.

On Friday I called to check in with my father.

He - after learning about how difficult work has been - decides to regale me with a story of him going to Wegmans Friday morning to get k-cups for his coffee. ("ICJ! Didn't you GET coffee in your Instacart order Thursday?" I fawking did.) Some woman asks my father, "Where is your mask?" And my father tells me that he unleashed a string of abusive profanity towards this woman about the mask thing.

The hidden gem in all this is his boomer ass deciding to leave the house the day after his first born son dropped $120 in groceries on him specifically to give him one less reason to go out.

If any of you are having an easier time with this I'm breaking-character-happy for you.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

First, did you put him in his place regarding him attacking the woman for essentially questioning why he is being an idiot without saying so? If that was an actual clerk or cashier at the store, she has been experiencing a very boring, slow kind of Hell. Your father is the type of guy I've had to mentally check myself from screaming at and possibly punching in the face, because he's placing everyone around him in danger.

That aside, I believe we all have "Boomer" stories: Haptic's mother has sort of "gotten it," but there are little discrepancies here and there that needlessly put her (and thus the household) in danger. Let me regale all of you with the...

IDIOTIC MISADVENTURES OF A 63 YEAR OLD TODDLER

1. Haptic's Mother at the "beginning" of this in January, refused to take any precautions whatsoever, specifically telling me that it was a "Chinese Virus" and was safely embedded in the news and nowhere else.

2. When it became obvious the situation was heating up in mid March, we had this gem of a conversation:

----------
Me: [Dumbass old lady], you really, really need to cancel any services Teri [the house cleaner who used to come over once a week] offers if it requires her to physically be in the house. We also need you to make driving us work [as opposed to taking the bus]: if we contract the virus, you're likely too as well and you're at high risk."

Dumbass Old Lady: I understand your concerns Retro. However, I'm not willing to give up on Teri's services at this point; who would clean the house? She is actually cleaning, and sanitizing the house. None of us are in close contact with her when she is here and I believe she wears gloves while she works. We (me?) and do some quick 'after' disinfecting if that makes us more comfortable. As for driving we need to play it by ear. Haptic and I briefly talked about this. We all need to be washing our hands more and avoiding large crowds. My guess, poor as it might be, is that the bus you or Haptic take are not packed with people. Again, take precautions. May need to find some hand sanitizer that Haptic will use.

BTW if I wasn't here, what would you do for transportation? To the best of your ability you need to limit your need to go out. Maybe do telehealth with your providers? I think there would be interest in that now.

Me: The bus is a huge vector for transmission and is how Haptic and I have become sick multiple times, including a week or two ago when we seemed to have the flu. And it doesn't matter "what we would do" in your "What If" scenarios because they aren't actually real.

And sure, Terri is cleaning, but she is also exposed directly to children who are a huge carrier, including her husband who is a postal worker and what does it matter if she is cleaning if she is the one who brings it in? You need to cancel with Teri, and I can't receive my Botox injections [for migraines] remotely.
----------

Let me illuminate how Dumbass Old Lady was limiting her need to leave the house: oh wait, she wasn't!

1. She continued to go to Panera Bread and Starbucks on a regular basis, citing that "you aren't in danger if you use drive through."

2. Up until the last day they were open, she was continuing to go to her favorite bakery, which required you TO WALK IN AND ORDER, THEN WAIT IN THEIR DINING ROOM WITH EVERYONE ELSE.

3. When Haptic and I were with her on a drive, she veered off to go through a drive thru at Starbucks and when we started to exclaim how awful of an idea that was, she took it personally, pulled to the side of the road, and noted that if we weren't safe with her, maybe we'd be safer walking back. [Oh Boy!]

4. Until we started to constantly nag her to add groceries to our delivery order, she was continually going to the Supermarket on an almost daily basis to pick up junk food - chocolate, ice cream, single serving meal items from the deli, etc.

5. Once we finally convinced [Dumbass Old Lady] that all of this was serious, here are a few things she did:

Note: our arrangement is if she is hellbent on going physically inside a store, no matter how idiotic the reason, I'll go in for her instead. To her credit, she has honored this continuously (to our knowledge) since her Bakery closed down, with the only catch being that I need to play the "you're an idiot for making me do this, you old bat" card carefully as she is likely to go herself if she feels too put upon.

- When picking up her medication from the pharmacy, she insisted I go inside a Big Lots next door to it and see if they had any toilet paper in stock. She refuted me when I noted we should call first (for some stupid reason she never gave,) and so I did the deed and low and behold, no toiler paper. The kicker here, is that she already had four Costco sized bulk packages of toilet paper, but "didn't feel comfortable" with the amount that was in the house.

- I've noted to her multiple times that we should be only using pickup from the grocery store, with walking into it not being an option in any way, shape or form as it needlessly puts everyone in the house at risk. Her response on Friday of that week?

Old Crone: Would you run into Albertson's and pick up this list of things for me?

We were already out and she then decides to pull the list on me in the car.

Me: (Without looking at the list) "What exactly do you need and if I don't go in, would you go in yourself?"

Old Crone: Chocolate chips, Ghiradelli only, you can see the brands I'd prefer on the list. All purpose flower, eggs, and cream.

Me: We should only be using pickup and not going into any store for single items. Here [shows her the availability of pick up from Albertson's on my phone] their next slot is on Monday, only two days away.

Old Crone: No, I was planning on baking cookies this weekend. I don't want to have to wait till Monday.

Me: Are you telling me you'll go into the store yourself if I don't for you?

Old Crone: Yes. This is something I want to do and you should support me in finding distractions.

Me: I'm going to go in, but you're acting like a toddler that wasn't allowed to drink the entire pitcher of Kool Aid. And you're a 63 year old woman who just a temper tantrum!

Old Crone: (Makes moves to get out of the car)

Me: (Physically grabs her) Stop. I'm going in for you.
And I rang up a $100 bill on junk food because I had to go into the Supermarket for her dumbass FUCKING COOKIES. Haptic and I only had a few each, by the way, even though she made pounds of dough because she apparently froze it and ate it over the course of the next week. Five lbs of dough. Fuck her.
--------

Her indiscretions have become smaller and smaller, if not dumber and dumber (she spent 15 minutes in Costco walking around the isles for and I kid you not, "Paleo Bites made with Free Trade Granola and Coconut Flakes" because they taste good and are her favorite snack. I also later found out the primary reason she wanted to go to Costco was to stock up on wine,) but those were the primary ways she pointlessly put everyone in danger. Oh... And when Haptic and I went out of our way to POLITELY talk to her about maybe ordering a bidet since she is constantly (and loudly) stressing about toilet paper, we overheard her talking to her sister about how we "ambushed her, lecturing her and demanding that she purchase them for the house even though she'd be the one paying for them."

While in reality...
1. We made sure to calmly suggest it to her while we were all downstairs for dinner.
2. She had already been thinking about purchasing them for the house since she had major surgery on her hands recently.
3. Her sisters had both purchased them for their own restrooms and [Dumbass Old Lady] sent us links to the one they liked, and asked us in the SAME EMAIL for our opinions on which ones to purchase.
4. When she told Haptic and I to not bring it up until after she finished computing her finances, we waited a week to speak with her about it once again.

Dumbass Old Lady enjoys twisting each and every minor "confrontation" and "disagreement" in her head, into a much larger scenario where she is magically the victim and thus can feel she is in the Right even if she topic was benign, had no winners or losers, but especially if she is even politely challenged. Oh.. She was pissed off at me because I "completely destroyed her organization system for the Freezer outside" when she has large bags of frozen fruit scattered everywhere in it, that she hasn't touched for years, at least five we think.

Holy Jesus is there alot of stupidity in this household.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

That woman is a saint, and these stories never appear to other people how they appear to you. All we see is some woman who somehow wound up with a house full of adults to care for, that should have already left to go have their own lives years ago. You giving her lip about anything makes you come off as the world's most entitled, snot-nosed jerk.

Go ahead. Tell us the trash story again.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

As I've stated, it's alot more complicated than that. And no, she isn't a Saint though we've all had our bouts with mental illness to one degree or another.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Can we start with this line?
Me: [Dumbass old lady], you really, really need to cancel any services Teri [the house cleaner who used to come over once a week] offers if it requires her to physically be in the house.
Do you perceive how that might come off to this woman? Seems like one thing she has going for her is that she doesn't also have to personally clean the house up after all of you. Do you see how bringing up the subject without suggesting alternatives might be received?