books?

Text Adventures / General Discussion / Video Games. 2018 Update - after registering, the best way to get approved is to post as a guest in Orc's Head.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

AArdvark

Re: books?

Post by AArdvark » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Now reading Code of the Lifemaker by James P. Hogan. I forget that Hogan writes hard sci-fi sometimes. He just spent two paragraphs telling me how fusion-ion space drives are better than hydrogen-oxygen space drives in terms of feet/thrust. And they haven't even launched out of earth orbit yet.

THE
PIGS IN SPAAAAAAAACE!
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Now reading Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley. Wikipedia said it's the book without a plot, or something close to that. I read Brave New World and The Doors of Perception a long time ago and they were just...Eh.
So now I figure I can do a re-write and make it funny and insert a plot. it has my favourite elements; an English setting during the Gilded Age. Miss Marble would be at home here, with all the stuffy British manners and other things to make fun of.

THE
REBOOT
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 pm
The computer system itself is an absolute smarmy piece of shit and you'll want to strangle it.
Star Trek: Voyager has already told us what to do when some uppity sentient system won't do what you want. Whenever The Doctor got kidnapped, and the bad guys wanted him to do something and he balked, they threatened to decompile his program.
AArdvark wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Just re-read Lord Of the Flies again... I think it would be a much less dark book 1f it was a planeload of girls that got stranded. Not that I want a Ghostbuster-esqe remake or anything, just think would be an interesting take if it was English girls instead of boys.
It's supposed to be dark; Golding was trying to show that, absent the civilizing aspects of society, even English educated, civilized, high-middle to upper class young men will slough off the veneer of polite society and descend into barbarism.

My guess is, given how vicious girls cliques can be, with no police or investigatory force, and little chance of being caught or punished, I suspect the girls would turn just as brutal as the boys were, just maybe a little slower.

My brother reported this from a TV show:
Father: Why can't you kids learn to get along together, like they did in Lord of the Flies?
Son: But in that book they all killed each other!
Father: (shrugs) Kids will be kids.

Remember, boys - especially if they're going through puberty - are raging bags of hormones (and if in or past puberty, testosterone), and love to express that through fighting. Which can be a good way to work off aggression. But without a moderator (teacher) to stop them, they'll (figuratively) eat each other. Or maybe not figuratively, if food supplies get low.

As Alex Jones said, "Yeah, if food supplies got low, I'd eat your ass. I'm not going to let my daughter starve."
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat May 09, 2020 3:04 pm

How does Alex Jones tonguing butthole feed his daughter? Is he like, a prostitute?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat May 09, 2020 3:12 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:04 pm
How does Alex Jones tonguing butthole feed his daughter? Is he like, a prostitute?
At least he's not a presstitute! I can't be stopped folks! This year Billy Mays is taking home the crown.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm

After reading most of the book I can attest that there is no real plot. Most of the book consists of characters standing around and discussing philosophy and other boring crap. The biggest excitement was Ivor (the engine driver) skulking along the roof so he can bone a fat chick.