A weird Android tablet

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

A weird Android tablet

Post by Tdarcos »

I bought a cheap android tablet - $35 plus $10 shipping, and it looks like the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. Lets see what's wrong.

No menu button - the one that shows all apps.
Sound is not working
No google play store
I tried doing a hard reset. The default language is Czech! Finding a reasonble website I found which icon was for language and reset it to English.
Total storage is 4.72 GB.
Total memory is 328 MB.

I have decided to keep it because of one saving grace. When it's doing editing like I am now, it defaults to large font. No more having to fight pinch mode closing back to small size, I can even read without glasses. Damn, I just noticed I logged in using http instead of https.

Developer mode is turned on, I might be able to install Firefox directly. We shall see.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Re: A weird Android tablet

Post by Tdarcos »

I was able to go to APKMirror.com and download the APK for Firefox and install it. I'm using a version from 2015 (67.0.3) which should be less memory intensive than the current one. I have also bought a modern tablet, an octacore with 4gb of memory and 64gb of disk space. Supports a 32gb SD card, and two phone sim cards (as does this tablet). $95.99 plus $15 for a protective cover and $12 for a glass protector. They had a similar tablet for $68 so I bought it too. Might as well be prepared when I break one of them.

So far I've broken 2 phones and a tablet. And I don't even have a wheelchair to snag them on.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak