Getting a new license

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Getting a new license

Post by Tdarcos »

I have a problem. I moved from Maryland to Virginia. Technically I'm supposed to get it changed over once I've been a resident of Virginia for 30 days. I am essentially bedridden, the only way I can go anywhere is on a stretcher. If I was still in Maryland this isn't a problem, licenses can be renewed by mail, in fact I renewed it by mail the last time it came up.

Now it's not a crisis; my license doesnt expire until 2022. So I called the VA DMV in Richmond and as I feared, they can't help me, I have to go into an office in person. So, it looks like I'm going to have to threaten them with an Americans With Disabilities Act lawsuit. I think writing a letter to the DMV's general counsel as soon as I find out whom they are might help. I've got nothing to lose.

In the interim I might have MD change my address but that may be unnecessary.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Re: Getting a new license

Post by Billy Mays »

Have you tried asking the nursing home staff if they will take you to get your license?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Hey pal! Is there any chance in the future you would be able to use your wheelchair again?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 am Hey pal! Is there any chance in the future you would be able to use your wheelchair again?
I thought his wheelchair was removed because it had a few bugs that needed to be worked out.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 am Have you tried asking the nursing home staff if they will take you to get your license?
I didn't think of that but I'm in a stretcher, Medicare will not pay for nonmedical trips. When I had to take an ambulance from the rehab place in Hyattsville, MD, six blocks from where I lived, to my sister's place in Arlington, VA, about 16-17 miles away, I had to pay for it. $639.00. Yes, they take credit cards.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

ChainGangGuy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:14 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 am Hey pal! Is there any chance in the future you would be able to use your wheelchair again?
I thought his wheelchair was removed because it had a few bugs that needed to be worked out.
With a bug bomb and the chair left behind any remaining bugs were killed both in my chair and in the room. I had to abandon the chair back at my place. When I moved I had to leave almost everything behind, and the landlord disposed of it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

When you are in a nursing home, Medicare will not pay for a wheelchair. This is straight from Hoverround.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I would have to arrange to be put in a manual wheelchair, then get someone to push me. Then use Metro Access to take me and the companion there and return. I'd have to get a family member, I can't expect them to have an employee spend the typical four hour wait at the DMV. And I don't know if I can sit in a chair that long before I start hurting.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

How about power of attorney?

Oh wait, you need to get your picture taken again...

THE
LOOKALIKE
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:26 pm How about power of attorney?

Oh wait, you need to get your picture taken again...

THE
LOOKALIKE
AARDVARK
For privacy reasons VA DMV will not allow another person access to your record. I suspect this is partly a reaction to 9/11 since the hijackers had Virginia licenses and ID.

This is an interstate transfer, I'm converting my MD license back to a VA license, like I had back in 2007. In 2009 I got a Maryland license back, and I think it had the same number I had in 1992.

Ice Cream Jonsey

How much would a replacement chair cost?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm How much would a replacement chair cost?
Since Medicare won't pay for it, maybe five grand. The 20% contribution for chairs it will pay for that I had to come up with, was $1,000, which means the price is $5,000. At least I was allowed to pay in installments over 13 months the way Medicare does.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Why not look into one of those charities that offer new or refurbished chairs for free to uninsured people going through some hard times?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 am Why not look into one of those charities that offer new or refurbished chairs for free to uninsured people going through some hard times?
That's not a bad idea but I probably won't use it that much. I can probably rent a power chair for 1 day for maybe 60 bucks, sort of like renting a car.

New rule: read every posting three times to prevent adding ex?tra
chara?caters or that I don't forget and leave a word.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Just think of it like Flack's AK-47: It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Plus, if you could score one for free why not?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, get us chairs as well, Commander!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I mailed a letter to the Office of the General Counsel of the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles in Richmond. I could not find out their name; DMV does a great job hiding internal info about itself. I'll give them another week, then maybe talk to a reporter with the Washington Post.