And another one bites the dust

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

And another one bites the dust

Post by Tdarcos »

"Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too
Another one bites the dust"

Most of you are probably aware of my propensity to drop and break Android tablets (or at least, the ones insured against damage by American Express). Well, anyway, it wasn't a tablet this time, it was a phone. An Android phone, of course, an LG model on the Tracfone network, retail price about $59.95.

I had it in my left hand around lunch the other day when I started to drift off. My hand relaxed and let go of the phone and it fell about two feet to the floor below. Apparently this small drop and the angle were just enough to crack the case and irreparably damage it.

Seriously? I've dropped the phone two or three times before when it's slipped off the bed and had no problem but this time it broke it. Now I'm thinking I have to call my sister (from the hospital phone) and ask her to send me another phone. Oh I can imagine the drama.

Then I remember I had used my android smart phone to order a tablet, a nice 10 inch model, for $66. And it was due for delivery that day. So sure enough it comes. Anyone care to guess what was the first thing I did with the tablet? If you guessed, "Log on to Tracfone's website and order a replacement phone," you'd be spot-on right.

I made sure I did that first, fearing if I didn't, karma would break this tablet just for spite. As it would turn out. I did drop the tablet once a few hours later but fortunately it didn't break. In fact, I'm using it to type this message. I'll probably do an article about "The Tablet That Thinks It's A Phone."

The new phone is due shortly. I'll just pull its sim card and move the one I have in the broken phone and hopefully that's enough, or at least it is for the T-Mobile network. I even have a micro SD card to use for extra storage. If I can't get switching sim cards to work then I'll try registering the new phone as a replacement. Perhaps that will save the prepaid minutes and time I purchased for that phone. We shall see.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Re: And another one bites the dust

Post by RealNC »

I must have picked the only unbreakable Android phone in existence. It's from 2012 and cost $200. I dropped it so many times, I stopped counting. Still works.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 pm I must have picked the only unbreakable Android phone in existence. It's from 2012 and cost $200. I dropped it so many times, I stopped counting. Still works.
Well, yeah. For $200 I'd expect a phone strongly resistant to drop breakage. A higher price allows for better manufacturing practices and higher quality. Or at least, that's the theory.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I'm not sure you could get an Android phone in 2012 for less than $200...

Tdarcos

t

Post by Tdarcos »

The other half of the story.

The replacement phone arrived and it has the nasty habit of wanting to commit suicide. I'm using my wired earphone in order to listen to FM radio on the phone. Twice the phone has slipped away to land on the floor. No apparent damage except the back comes off. Two small pieces of plastic were found, apparently cosmet8c; I can't figure out what the6 were from.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: t

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:11 am listen to FM radio on the phone.
I'm kinda jealous: my $1000 galaxy can't do that.

Tdarcos

Re: t

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:20 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:11 am listen to FM radio on the phone.
I'm kinda jealous: my $1000 galaxy can't do that.
All you need is for your phone to support a wired headset and the FM app. The radio uses the headphone both for sound and as an antenna.