2019 video game finalists

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

2019 video game finalists

Post by AArdvark »

https://www.whec.com/news/world-video-g ... 1/?cat=565

My money is on Colossal Cave Adventure

pinback

Re: 2019 video game finalists

Post by pinback »

Centipede, Half-Life and Civilization have to be shoo-ins. Colossal Cave is another reasonable choice due to its influence on the nature of computer entertainment over the decade that proceeded it. While Super Mario Kart was indeed a revolutionary moment in co-op/competitive gameplay, one must consider tha---

Wait, what the fuck is this?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Never played Mario Kart, must try it some day. I think all these games will make it in the HOF eventually with the exception of solitaire. SOLITAIRE for cri-yi! The only reason it was developed in the first place was to have something to do while your 386 processed a jpg or waited for a modem connection.

THE
CALL BACK... BUSY
CALL BACK... BUSY
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Myst and Candy Crush are legitimately poor games. I know Myst has its fans though so I won't rehash that argument.

Civ 2 is much better than Civilization. :(
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Nominating Candy Crush is like nominating PayPal. The only difference is that PayPal admits it's a payment platform. For a video game award only games should be nominated, not payment platforms disguised as such.

Candy Crush. What the fuck.

pinback

Post by pinback »

But I mean, is this a real thing? Is there a "video game hall of fame"? What?

Ice Cream Jonsey

It does insanely stupid to nominate garbage like Candy Crush and still think that anyone is going to take your process seriously.

People have FUCKED IT UP as they fuck up everything.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Is Asteroids in the video game hall of fame?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:46 am Is Asteroids in the video game hall of fame?
It lost out to Sonic the Hedgehog and Halo.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I don't understand how games like Candy Crush and Solitaire even get nominated. I suppose Minesweeper is even going to be held aloft in the distant future. Ug.

On the other hand, the Toy Hall of Fame has inducted The paper airplane, the common stick and a cardboard box.

THE
TOYS ARE PEOPLE TOO
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

But what IS this? All I see is a link to an article from "WHEC", and then two-links deep a website called "The Strong" announcing their inductees.

Is this just some dude's website that we're having a conversation about? I... I don't wanna do that.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 pm But what IS this? All I see is a link to an article from "WHEC", and then two-links deep a website called "The Strong" announcing their inductees.

Is this just some dude's website that we're having a conversation about? I... I don't wanna do that.
Probably the equivalent of Mays' MVP awards?

pinback

Post by pinback »

I also don't wanna do that.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The Strong Museum of Play in Rochester hosts the video game hallof fame. They are adding on this year to provide an exhibition hall so we can all go and pay homage to these classic games

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pmclassic games
Like Candy Crush, PayPal and Stripe :razz:

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RealNC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 pmProbably the equivalent of Mays' MVP awards?
I need to cut you off right there. I'm all for shitting on this wack museum and their amateur attempts at awarding video games, they awarded a farming simulator and a point and click anime but not a single golden era rpg, but do not associate it with the JC MVP which is a credible thing. It gives voice to you and the rest of the JC community on your greatest contributor for a particular year. It is your guys' award, I merely arbitrate over it because I fall in the sweet spot of being least likely to ever win and also a regular contributor. This makes me the most unbiased person who will also give enough cares to post it every year. Also, because it was my idea and I sort of "own it".

I'm also a founding member on the JC MVP Award Integrity Council.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's rigged! I believe Microsoft paid to get their stupid Solitaire game in the winners circle.

The only other explanation I can think of is that the judging was done by 60+ year olds that remember Solitaire on the PC as fun and exciting.

THE
GO WATCH PAINT DRY
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Their sol.exe is fine as a distraction while watching some kind of video on the other screen and you don't want to read something that might cause you to forget to listen to the video. It's mindless for cold calling too. Its so innocuous that I can't believe my last job removed it from the laptop gold images.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hahah, Solitaire over Centipede. What a bunch of morons.

EDIT: I am sure some nerd made a passionate argument about how many hours it was played and how many machines it was played on. That's why you don't let a brainless nerd like whoever they picked decide anything.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:33 pmI am sure some nerd made a passionate argument about how many hours it was played and how many machines it was played on.
A lone nerd theory in which the "nerd" votes for Microsoft over golden era Atari. You're worse than the anti-vaxers.