Jiz - what Vectrex cartridge is letting you play MAME games?

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jiz - what Vectrex cartridge is letting you play MAME games?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is this the VecFever cart? They seem to be going for $1000 on eBay, so I was wondering if it's the same thing?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Jiz - what Vectrex cartridge is letting you play MAME games?

Post by Jizaboz »

Hahaha yes. Actually, it's an earlier model which is why the mini USB connection looks all hacky. I've got the newest version of the "VECFEVER Ultimate Edition".

Part of my can't believe it sold for that much but a bigger part of me says "Well that figures." I think it was a real dick move of this guy to sell that unless he REALLY needed the money because he was about to lose his flat in the UK or something, but I doubt that was the case. It pisses me off that he would sell it because the guy that made them in Germany is a really cool guy with limited time and resources to make these things. He tries to only to put them in the hands of people like me who want to develop new things for the Vectrex or his close friends that are into Vectrex.. not wealthy noobs that just want to have a fancy multi-cart.

I see a lot of people on the Atari Age forums have been asking about it for months and PM'ing him, etc and not getting a response. Again, probably due to most of them saying things like "WANT" and other nonsense while repeatedly referring to it as a multicart instead of the magical development and experimental device it really is. If it wasn't because I know the guy that made our custom Vectrex controllers, it's very unlikely I would have been able to purchase one via email contact. Mr. CTDE put in a good word for me with the Vecfever dude.

Full disclosure: After the foreign exchange rate I paid around 120$ for the cartridge. The guy also threw in a copy of his Asteroids Deluxe and some stickers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, can any Vectrex be used to play MAME or do you need a flashcart? Do you need the VecFever flash cart?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm So, can any Vectrex be used to play MAME or do you need a flashcart? Do you need the VecFever flash cart?
Basically, you load a "terminal" program from the VecFever cart with a USB cable plugged into it and a computer. You then start his version of "vecMAME" on the your computer which has special settings and changes and choose any vector-based arcade game. The entire program (including the sound) is ran from the computer, while "streaming" the video data to the real Vectrex and accepting controller input from it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm So, can any Vectrex be used to play MAME or do you need a flashcart? Do you need the VecFever flash cart?
Now this has changed a bit! The wizard known as "Malban" who created the Vide Vectrex dev tools has now managed to get Asteroids ver 1 loading perfectly off the VecFever cart itself. My girlfriend and I have already put a few high scores (that get saved after power off) registered. Things can only get better from here!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Finally got around to messing with the newest (top secret) firmware tonight that was released on Halloween.

At this point, no computer is required to play just about any arcade vector game on a Vectrex when using the VecFever cart unless you want/need the original arcade audio that the Vectrex cannot natively produce.

I am still struggling with but enjoying learning how to program for the Vectrex via with cart and Vide as I get time..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nice! Did that German guy ever end up making more carts, do you know?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:17 am Nice! Did that German guy ever end up making more carts, do you know?
From the main website regarding Vide and Vecfever..

Question: Can we still buy a vecfever ? If so, where ?

My Answer:
I am very sorry – I really can’t answer that part. Only thing I know is – Thomas is still actively working on it… I don’t know if he plans to build more, or an updated version, or even only do versions for his own needs.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:43 pm My girlfriend and I have already put a few high scores (that get saved after power off) registered. Things can only get better from here!
"A few HIGH scores." So is that what they're calling it now?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:27 pm Is this the VecFever cart? They seem to be going for $1000 on eBay, so I was wondering if it's the same thing?
One went for 1800 pounds on eBay last month.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:27 pm Is this the VecFever cart? They seem to be going for $1000 on eBay, so I was wondering if it's the same thing?
One went for 1800 pounds on eBay last month.
Bro WTF
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻