How old we are

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

How old we are

Post by Flack »

The next version of Google chrome is going to hide/suppress "http://" and "https://" that prefaces URLs. Here is a quote from Alex Ainslie, Chrome's head of design, on the decision:
“If you step back and consider like your first day with a computing device, which is a phone, probably an Android phone you’ve just purchased,” Alex Ainslie. Chrome’s head of design, told Mashable. “And then you encounter a URL in Chrome’s omnibox that is filled with acronyms: HTTPS, colon, slash, slash, www dot Google dot com slash, dub, dub, dub — all these things. It’s incomprehensible. So we’re pushing to make the resting state of our omnibox more human readable.”
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Re: How old we are

Post by AArdvark »

The next generation won't be able to read cursive either. Oh well.

Now, will the 'copy link' feature work on all that incomprehensible, but entirely necessary stuff? I sure hope so, cause I use copy and paste quite a bit.

THE
COMMAND LINE
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Allowing you to know if you're on a secure connection can be a matter of life-and-death.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 pm Allowing you to know if you're on a secure connection can be a matter of life-and-death.
Chrome will continue to display "Not secure" for http sites (I believe it's a padlock icon on mobile devices).

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So goddamn dumb. They obviously finished the browser years ago but have to pretend to still be working on something so they can sit in Chuck E. Cheese style ball traps and pretend they matter.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I like that the guy constantly tweaking the browser I use every single day thinks that my first day with a computing device was "probably an Android phone." According to Google, the first Android phone was released in 2008.

My first day with a "computing device" was spent making this demon dance.

I also enjoy how things like "dub dub dub" (or "www") are "incomprehensible." It is "incomprehensible" that a web pages viewable world-wide might begin with the abbreviation for "world wide web." INCOMPREHENSIBLE.

I hate being the old man on the front porch, but here is the command for formatting a blank floppy disk on the Commodore 64. I memorized it and used to type it all the time.

OPEN1,8,15,”N0:”DISKNAME,ID”:CLOSE 1

INCOMPREHENSIBLE!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah this is yet another example of dumbing down things too much. If there's an option to disable it, it will be buried in some incomprehensible place.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Actually, Google is going to block HTTP in the future. The "insecure" label is a transitional period thing. At some point, the browser will simply now allow you to visit HTTP sites.

Good times.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I figured that is where they were headed - what a fucking anti-regular person measure. Now I've got to pony up $50 to $100 bucks for a goddamn cert to keep this place and the other one going. Fucking assholes.

pinback

Post by pinback »

1. Certs are free.
2. I like it. You'll have to put at least a tiny bit of effort into MAKING YOUR VOICE HEARD, which I'm hoping will cut down on a lot of voices. We've got enough voices, thanks.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was just about to throw a raging fit until I checked. It appears HostGator secretly (and "free"ly) added SSL certs to all of my domains. Hooray, Google!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 am I figured that is where they were headed - what a fucking anti-regular person measure. Now I've got to pony up $50 to $100 bucks for a goddamn cert to keep this place and the other one going. Fucking assholes.
Let's Encrypt provides a free service for that. However, you need to set up the server to automatically renew the SSL certificate every month or so.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

"the resting state of our omnibox more human readable."

Fuck everything.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'm ready to get back on the telnet, just say the word!

THE
READY.
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

I cannot get over what a stupid statement that is from Google's "Head of Design." THIS is the company which is the toughest interview in the world? THIS is the company everyone's clamoring to work for? That's the dumbest thing I've randomly read in a long time.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 pm I'm ready to get back on the telnet, just say the word!

THE
READY.
AARDVARK
We have invited you to IRC constantly!