Trackballs

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Trackballs

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

CST makes the best trackballs. Here is their webpage: https://www.clearlysuperiortech.com/

I have one of their trackballs at home and one at work. The one I have at home has an LED that lights the ball up blue and it is the best thing ever. I bought my first one (that does not light up, that technology had not yet been invented!) on June 14th, 2014. The right button has stopped working.

I opened the trackball up to try to hit the button directly against the circuit board and yes, it seems to have failed. These things aren't cheap ($124) so I sent a mail to CST to see if there's anything that can be done - I'd pay for them to repair it, I'd buy a replacement trackball if this one could give me some sort of credit towards one.... I dunno. Just seeing, really.

Let me ask you guys this and let's make it interactive - what would you do in a situation like this if you owned a company? I am not asking this because I think CST did anything wrong. I mean, god, how many jillions of times have I clicked this thing? But I am obviously in love with their stuff. I guess we could frame this like we did for the Fire Fighter's Hot Sauce discussion, although that is food so it doesn't really work.

What say you, JC?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Re: Trackballs

Post by RealNC »

I'd say that if people who use trackballs only ever bought one of them and then just repaired them when they fail, I'd go out of business.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nice point, however, CST does free repairs, you just have to send it in. They are literally the greatest company in the history of civilization, and this thread is to now agree with the above statement and for me to help people pick out their next CST TRACKBALL.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I didn't send the trackball in for repairs. The one I had did not have a light-up ball. It would be $20 to ship it to them and $20 to have it shipped back. My postal service is acting up again and by that I mean that the carriers of packages are either outright stealing shit or they are marking stuff as delivered that isn't. That should be a separate thread. And I had $50 of credit built up via one of my credit cards.

So I bought a brand new light up (blue!) trackball from CST instead, the greatest manufacturers of a pointing device of all-time.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 am So I bought a brand new light up (blue!) trackball from CST instead, the greatest manufacturers of a pointing device of all-time.
Tomtom is the real recipient of that honor. They sell a wheel mouse for $4 - including shipping - that is red when sitting but when you move it, lights up blue. Moves nice and registers accurately.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tomtom does not sell mice.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

His dad was a piper.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I thought you meant an arcade machine trackball, like for Centipede or Missile Command. You really paid a C note for a mouse trackball?

THE
MUST BE A REALLY
REALLY REALLY
GOOD ONE

Ice Cream Jonsey

No, sir, see, I saved money.

I had $50 in credit for previous purchases in my credit card.

It would have cost me $40 to ship the old one back and forth and the post office probably would have stolen it on the return. So that's $90 I didn't pay right there.

So it was $30 extra for the trackball itself. That's fair, non?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm Tomtom does not sell mice.
Like hell they don't! I've bought at least three of them from that company.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 pm
pinback wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm Tomtom does not sell mice.
Like hell they don't! I've bought at least three of them from that company.
We're going to need a smidgen of proof since there is no evidence on the internet of the TomTom GPS company ever selling a computer mouse. How about a picture of the label or link to the item? Otherwise, another example of you getting everything wrong.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm 99% sure he's referring to some weird east coast conjoined twins.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."